SE530 Wires Turned to 'wax'--Again!
Mar 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 33
For my new SE310s, if I use the 4 digit code and treat the first 3 as the number of days elapsed during the year then there is almost a month difference between that and the date on the box. However, that's assuming day 1 is 01/01/2008 - it might not be in Shure's counting.

The 6 digit code can be rearranged into the same date as on the box in the following format 'ddmmy' or 'mmddy' for you US types. This means one of the 6 digits is not used.

I'm getting SE530s this week so I'll be able to see if that pattern is repeated.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 33
yep you got the old cable, send it bk to shure and request the updated cable, i did and the new cable certainly does not stiffen to shape like the old cable, after using the new cables for a while now you can see why the old cables were bad, the new cables after about 6-7 months now have not taken shape at all which is great, no stiffening, no cracking, smiley faces.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I see, the first three digits are the number of days in a year. Makes sense.

In that case, I wonder what the 6-digit number is, as mine and Plex's number is the same yet they're obviously not the same batch. Probably just a code for all the 530's?

do you still have the box? maybe the number is printed along with the meaning on the label somewhere.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by javahut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try to send them back for replacement under warranty anyway. You should have received a new invoice for the new pair. Use that as the copy of the invoice for the return of your current SE530s. I'm pretty sure they'll replace them again, as it's a known defect.

Get the new 530s. Don't use them, sell them. Buy Westone 3s. ;D

I just spent some time searching the forums for more info on the W3s. Definitely got me intrigued. (especially this review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...thread-386477/)

Do you use a portable amp with them?

Also, how is Westone's service compared with Shure?

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep you got the old cable, send it bk to shure and request the updated cable, i did and the new cable certainly does not stiffen to shape like the old cable, after using the new cables for a while now you can see why the old cables were bad, the new cables after about 6-7 months now have not taken shape at all which is great, no stiffening, no cracking, smiley faces.

That's good to hear. I just sent mine in because the cable cracked after having hardened into a permanent curve over a year ago. I am really hoping newer ones will not have this issue.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to hear. I just sent mine in because the cable cracked after having hardened into a permanent curve over a year ago. I am really hoping newer ones will not have this issue.

yeh your very likely to get the new cable version. the only people likely to get old cables now are those that buy from third party's off ebay and amazon because these people may have old stock.

as you will be getting a replacement from shure your almost guaranteed to get the newer version as its most likely this is all they will have lying around now. this and the fact that you sent them back due to the cable so they should deffinately give you the newer ones.

when i sent mine off for replacement i actually wrote them a letter with the box asking for the updated cable and sure enough i got one that was manufactured just a month or 2 earlier. ( this was last year )

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kiiinda scared now..does that mean I'd be safe with a 2988? That's an '08 in the last number, no?

I would think you would be safe with that date stamp. I don't know when they started manufacturing the new cables, but I think it was sometime in late 2007/early 2008.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Kiiinda scared now..does that mean I'd be safe with a 2988? That's an '08 in the last number, no?

your safe, well...you have the newer cables for sure, this dont mean you can be rough tho, they are very expensive earphones, take good care of them, sometimes i think people dont realise how delicate earphones are no matter the price.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Also, sorry if this was stated before, but what was being done to the cables to turn them?

Guessing at what you mean here...

The cables were reformulated to prevent the loss of plasticizer that sometimes occurs with certain people, apparently triggered by the oils in their hair and skin. When the plasticizer migrates out, the cables harden. Shure reworked their cable formula to try to address this.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #28 of 33
I don't get this early cable death syndrome. Why does it happen? I have had cheap earbuds for years that have had nothing to their cables. So, it's obviously not a cost issue with then cables, then what is it?

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get this early cable death syndrome. Why does it happen? I have had cheap earbuds for years that have had nothing to their cables. So, it's obviously not a cost issue with then cables, then what is it?

As Arijsme said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme
The cables were reformulated to prevent the loss of plasticizer that sometimes occurs with certain people, apparently triggered by the oils in their hair and skin. When the plasticizer migrates out, the cables harden. Shure reworked their cable formula to try to address this.

The problem comes up when wearing the wires over the ears as it is in direct contact with our skin oils/sweat (i can confirm that the oils cause it as I received a 2006 unit in 2008 and the wire was as good as new... so it is not a matter of age...)
I believe the reason the problem doesn't arise with cheap earbuds is perhaps due to the material choice, but more importantly, the wire is typically not run over the ears--so it is not in constant contact with the skin.

Shure messed up with the initial e500/se530 wire material. Anyone know if this has been a problem on any of the other Shure models? I never had a problem with my e3c.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #30 of 33
YGPM Plex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back