SE530 vs Triple fi 10 pro? (not a repetitive thread)
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having both top tier IEM's the TF10 stays coz its the closest sound signature with my speaker rig. What I'm only missing is the soundstage. Draw back with SE530, the high is rolled off and the bass is muddy and not extended but its very comfortable to listen with compared to TF10.

Hey,

That's the same thing I was feeling about the TF10. They sound more like speakers. I still feel that the midrange or vocals seem to be further away. Sometimes it sounds like the female singer is mumbling almost.

Anyways, that's why I like the SE530 more. They give a different flavour to the sound. They are almost more intimate sounding, like the singer is right in front of you singing just to you versus singer further back. For this different flavour of sound, it makes me want to keep the SE530 and return the TF10. They've been nice but I guess they aren't what I'm looking for in an IEM.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't see this beforehand. But i will still join the argument.

You are suprised? I'm surprised that your are surprised. If you do a little research on these forums. Almost every owner of both the triple fi 10 and the ER-4p said the ER-4p has better mids and highs. Clear and distinct, which the UEs lack. Due to this overwhelming majority, that is why i bought the ER-4p and since then i haven't regret it because people still report that ER-4p are higher in detail that the UEs. And how can you say the separation in instruments "is not good enough"? My ears are not trained but they are good enough to tell what you said is bs.

Sorry to sound rude but i don't like noobs saying things without proper research and experience.

You can certainly have your opinion but sounds like you picked your IEM based on what OTHER people thought-NOT YOU. I AM a trained musician with many years experience both on the stage, as a musician and as a sound system adviser/technician/installer in live and fixed installation scenarios. Off the professional arena, I have a passion for all things musical still. There are many paths to enlightenment grasshopper do not disparage one persons feelings over your own. These are all excellent IEMs we've been discussing, with some sound differences that may or may not be suited for ones particular purposes. It's quite clear many people feel differently about the same products, It's fun to see where we fall in the sound scheme I think. Calm down, smell the roses-tomorrow we die!

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't see this beforehand. But i will still join the argument.

There was no "argument" to begin with, so let's not turn it into one
wink.gif

Quote:

You are suprised? I'm surprised that your are surprised. If you do a little research on these forums. Almost every owner of both the triple fi 10 and the ER-4p said the ER-4p has better mids and highs. Clear and distinct, which the UEs lack. Due to this overwhelming majority, that is why i bought the ER-4p and since then i haven't regret it because people still report that ER-4p are higher in detail that the UEs. And how can you say the separation in instruments "is not good enough"? My ears are not trained but they are good enough to tell what you said is bs.

Sorry to sound rude but i don't like noobs saying things without proper research and experience.

Have you heard the Triple.fi 10 Pro at all, let alone done extensive comparisons between it and the Etymotic? The OP has heard and owns both.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #64 of 76
Yup the SE530 has a great mids and no question about it. If Shure can improve the highs, for sure I will get back on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

That's the same thing I was feeling about the TF10. They sound more like speakers. I still feel that the midrange or vocals seem to be further away. Sometimes it sounds like the female singer is mumbling almost.

Anyways, that's why I like the SE530 more. They give a different flavour to the sound. They are almost more intimate sounding, like the singer is right in front of you singing just to you versus singer further back. For this different flavour of sound, it makes me want to keep the SE530 and return the TF10. They've been nice but I guess they aren't what I'm looking for in an IEM.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #65 of 76
Can't we all just get along???

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #66 of 76
Just to update this.. I returned the TF10 today. They aren't bad headphones. I just have trouble hearing the clearer highs and accepting the midrange that seems recessed. They do sound very different from the E500 though so for people eyeing either one, best way would be to hear both.

If you can't here's what I think:

Choose the E500 if you want the singer to be right in the middle of your brain/head or right in front of your face. The instruments are clear sounding as well and seem to be placed nearer. If you are looking for an intimate sound, then choose these.

Chooes the TF10 if you want the singer to sound far away (and I mean 10ft in front of you or more). This can make things sound unclear to me because the one thing I listen to most is female vocals and I want to hear them sing clearly. These TF10s try to recreate what a 2 channel speaker system will do so if you are looking for a speaker replacement choose these. However they seem to place vocals on the same plane as the instruments sometimes instead of projecting the vocals in front of the instruments.

I'm not sure if I make much sense here but basically I found the TF10 a little unclear sounding sometimes for vocals, something about the midrange. The E500s sound vastly different but the mids sound really good. Not sure what else I can say, I'm probably just repeating the same things over and over again.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

I'm not sure if I make much sense here but basically I found the TF10 a little unclear sounding sometimes for vocals, something about the midrange.

I've been thinking about this since reading various observations from some users but not others. (I fall into the latter camp) Here's my thoughts..maybe makes sense, maybe not. Because the mids are more forward on the Shure E5 vs the UE, when listening at the same apparent midrange levels- the highs sound more extended because I actually listen AT THE SAME MIDRANGE LEVEL, this makes the highs more apparent on the UE and the mids sound in balance. Since I don't need more midrange level out of the Shure-the high frequencies are actually at a lower level because of this midrange balance-if listening at the same apparent midrange level. The Shure is a more sensitive IEM requiring less drive than the UE so the loudness levels have to be approximately set. Just trying to make some observations based on our different feelings on these.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #68 of 76
Personally, I like the TF10 Pro because of the mids (as well as the highs). It's very important to me to have a full range of sound, from bass to high treble. That's why I like the TF10, and that's why I'm really starting to like the Ultrasone Pro 750. Both are speaker-esque, which is good for monitoring with them.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I like the TF10 Pro because of the mids (as well as the highs). It's very important to me to have a full range of sound, from bass to high treble. That's why I like the TF10, and that's why I'm really starting to like the Ultrasone Pro 750. Both are speaker-esque, which is good for monitoring with them.

I believe the UE-trademark recessed midrange is done intentionally to create the large soundstage. It doesn't bother me too much.

What bothers me more is after many months of listening to Shures I more and more noticed a honkiness or naselness to the overall presentation. I notice this with all Shure IEM's I have tried. (E3, E4, SE420, SE530).

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree fully. Reading a few reviews or posts regarding this UE reduced midrange that I don't hear, I wondered if there was an explanation for this impression.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #71 of 76
Can anyone suggest a place to demo the TF10's?

I own the ER-4P/S and got to demo and compare the E530's at both the San Jose and San Francisco airports (at different times). Little audio shops at both A/P's.

My conclusion was similar to what most people say. I found the ER-4S to have much better highs and slightly better detail than the E530s. The E530s larger bass impact (but not really very tight bass) was immediately obvious, as was the lack of highs. I struggled to here any highs. I even cranked up the high frequencies (5K and 12K) on my H140 EQ and it only helped a little, and mostly just dropped out the mid and lower frequencies. So I decided that if I ever develop a burning need to have a different sound signature than my Ety's., with big bass being the added value, I'll drop some money on the E530's.

This leads me to wonder if something in between those two sound signatures (like the TF10) will be a nice compromise.

Of secondary consideration - but important - those 530's sure are comfortable and easy to wear. My Ety's. not so much. So with the TF10's comfort factor lacking, they will have to sound really good for me to buy them.

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the UE-trademark recessed midrange is done intentionally to create the large soundstage.

Huh, I better listen to them again, they are relatively new and i haven't listened that much but when i have listened they sound pretty balanced. I never heard the opinion that recessed mids were a UE trademark. They make my old Shure E3cs sound like i got them in a gum machine, but don't do as well as full sized of course.

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having both top tier IEM's the TF10 stays coz its the closest sound signature with my speaker rig. What I'm only missing is the soundstage. Draw back with SE530, the high is rolled off and the bass is muddy and not extended but its very comfortable to listen with compared to TF10.

I had both, sold the SE530's, and end up keeping TF's - my own comarison was almost "exactly" as you noted so well above. In the end, the TF's sound more "natural", specially female voices which is a large part of my music collection. My long time refence (Senn 580's) was also used in these comparisons - same result: the 580's sounded natural and the 530's did not. Female voices such as Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, and a few others only sounded "right" with the TF's - that made the decision easy for me
wink.gif

Will

May 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #75 of 76
This thread is just a confirmation that both these IEMs are terific quality ones and the one you need will be mostly based on personal preference.

I decided last week i was going to order both ith the intention of auditioning them and keeping one (if i feel they are worth that much, which i will obv do). I was hoping to get a better grasp of the sound so i dont have to order both of them...it's the same everywhere, in general it seems to close to call based on others opinions and reviews. The comfort factor makes the balance lean towrds the shure, but, even being in love with the Sennheiser sound signature and hating the grado 225, the idea of a more clarity is very interesting to me, and that makes me consider the UEs. The cable issues with Shure is another problem...dammit!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back