SE530 TIPS STUCK?...FREEZE THEM!
Mar 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed another post regarding SE530 tips being stuck.
There is a very simple solution to this problem. PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS.

That's right. Shure told me to do this when I first got mine and it worked perfectly. I just removed them from the freezer and twisted them off. No problem.

If you don't believe me call Shure CS.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 36
Or heating them up, works for me
wink.gif
Just put them in your pants pocket for a while and twist/pull it off.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 36
Heat causes things to expand, but since it's probably only the tubes of the tips that really do so, it makes sense.

The freezer method, I'd worry about condensation if you forget that it's in there!

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 36
It's a +$200 IEM. I doubt you would forget you put it in the freezer
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 36
yeah, I really dont like the prospect of putting something that expensive in the freezer. With 6 total drivers & all that circuitry, it just seems like something could go wrong. Although, I guess if it does, you could just blame it on Shure & have them send you a new set
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 36
What I'd be more worried about would be the cables... hardening then immediately thawing I'm thinking doesn't bode well for the structure of the already fragile wires, but that's just conjecture.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'd be more worried about would be the cables... hardening then immediately thawing I'm thinking doesn't bode well for the structure of the already fragile wires, but that's just conjecture.

With that being said, and the frequent stories of the cables cracking

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 36
I've done the freezer thing out of frustration when I couldn't get the new tips off. It works! There were no issues thereafter. Still sound wonderful.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SHURE Customer Service Manager to employee: "[size=small]"YOU TOLD THE CUSTOMER TO DO WHAT ???"[/size]

I had mine delivered via FedX overnight which means that they sat in an airplane cargo hole at 35000 ft in january. As you may know that's about 0-20 below which is much colder than my freezer.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Shure really recommend freezing the SE530?
smily_headphones1.gif

Why would I lie?

The person at Shure mentioned this was a common problem when there new. He was the one who recomended that I put them in the freezer for 30mins and it worked perfectly with 0 problems afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back