SE530 Re-Cable with MMCX
Jul 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wiz561

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I have a pair of SE530 which I haven't used in years because the cables split right after the warranty ran out.  I contacted Shure and they wanted 80 bucks to redo it.  I didn't at the time, and now I want to use them again.  I contacted them again, and now they won't even recable them but will discount a new pair of 535's for 240 + tax.  Now, if it was my fault, I would probably do it, but it's not my fault as many people had this problem.  I won't buy another Shure product because of this.  
mad.gif

So, I can now send them to a 3rd party and have them do it, or I can do it myself.  I am very handy with a soldering iron and feel like I can tackle this myself.  I looked at different cabling options, and it looks like I can either hardwire them or add a plug at the end.  For the plug, I think I can go the 2.5mm route, Sannheiser plug, or the MMCX plug that Shure currently uses.  I think the MMCX plug is probably the best route to take and most secure method.

Now, I need a source for the MMCX plug.  Does anybody happen to have a place where somebody can purchase it?  Is it just a generic MMCX plug?  Is the new Shure cable (EAC64BK) a male or female (would I buy a female mmcx plug?) 

Is this a safe bet?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/908-22100/ARF1723-ND/2041849

Thanks!
mike

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response.  I just ordered the replacement cable.  I think what I might do is cut the ends off the replacement, pop open the shells, and just solder it in.  We'll see what happens....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back