SE530 Fraying problem
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Henweee

New Head-Fier
Hi, my wires on my SE530s are fraying in 2 places. I am getting lots of static while listening to music. Are the wires replaceable? Are there any ways to recover the wires? Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hen

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 11
THe wires aren't replaceable and recover? If by recover you mean tape, then yes. Other than that I don't think so unless you get them recabled.... or send them in for repair?

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 11
If you have warranty, it is time to exercise your right. If not, you can still contact Shure and sent in the broken IEM. Usually they will offer a replacement deal that is much cheaper than the same retail model. You will need a valid receipt though, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Alternatively, you can send your SE530 to reshell by a third parties such as Uniquee Melody or Fisher Hearing.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 11
Lol there are many threads on this already
tongue.gif
This is a very, very common problem. Buy a SE530 and you are almost certain to have problems with the wires.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 11
I just yesterday recieved my se530's back from sure after a 'one time complimentary replacement' after my cables split after 2.5 years of use

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi fellow se530 user,

yes, as a matter of fact, you can get that restrung with new wires, but only with a $80 custom remold job at Inearz.com (SOOO worth it). They can outfit the se530's with the wire from Westone, Ultimate ear's, customs, you name it. I don't even represent them, I'm just really happy to be getting a new custom casing and cable for my se530's, while preserving the nice quality.

I prob. won't check this again so pm me if u have q's

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 11
If you're still under warranty, I would send them in. Apparently, cord splitting/fraying problems are quite common with the SE530s.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the replies my fellow Head-Fi'ers. Unfortunately i bought the SE530 from Ebay 1 year and a half ago. I don't think Shures will warrant my set.

cicatrez879, so i can send these out and re-do the wires with Westone braided wires? Hrm, this sounds like a plan. What are the procedures in doing so?

Thanks again.

Hen

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Yup! That's exactly what I did (or am having done as we speak). I'll be able to show you how it turned out in a week.

The way I did it is as follows: 1. Ordered the westone ES cable for $32 off their site. 2. found a local audiologist in my area, who took a mold of my ear with silicone. 3. I sent the mold, my IEM's, the new cable, and a money order to InearZ.

If you want to see examples of this, do a search for "InearZ owner's thread." It's loaded with pics. While most people remolded TF10 IEM's, it's totally possible to do with SE530's. The result, for me, is a custom fitted IEM to my own ear, with the sound quality of the SE530, and with a really nice cable that won't ever fray on me.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cicatrez879 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup! That's exactly what I did (or am having done as we speak). I'll be able to show you how it turned out in a week.

The way I did it is as follows: 1. Ordered the westone ES cable for $32 off their site. 2. found a local audiologist in my area, who took a mold of my ear with silicone. 3. I sent the mold, my IEM's, the new cable, and a money order to InearZ.

If you want to see examples of this, do a search for "InearZ owner's thread." It's loaded with pics. While most people remolded TF10 IEM's, it's totally possible to do with SE530's. The result, for me, is a custom fitted IEM to my own ear, with the sound quality of the SE530, and with a really nice cable that won't ever fray on me.

I found out my cousin did the same on his W3. And he told me exactly what you told me. I might go this route since its cheaper than buying another pair.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back