SE420: Did I get a good deal?
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sambo60

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I paid $120 shipped for an Se420 with date code 1417. I get the se420s and all packaging and accessories. The se420 is missing the rubber thingie that goes over the wire at the back of the iem. Sound is not affected by this. The white you see in the pic is actually insulation for the wire, not exposed wiring. See this picture:
downloadrh3.jpg

And here's another picture:
download2il2.jpg

I own the se530s too. These were purchased for a friend who needs to be deBosed. So did I get a good deal?? Share your opinion with me!

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 11
No, I think you got ripped off. They don't look anything like SE420's. At least not anymore.

Shure SE420-K Black Earphones

Look particularly at the rear housing area on the real one. It's purposely indented in a little to make it easier to grab onto for inserting and taking out. Not sure why anyone would take off the rubber housing area? Big red flag in my mind. Warranty is obviously void and now the cable is REALLY susceptible to a connection problem since the rubber housing acts as a strain relief. Good luck with them.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Well the rubber wasn't taken off, it fell off. And even if shure wouldn't cover it under warranty (which I believe they should) the flat replacement fee is only $88 should these develop a problem. Any other opinions?

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 11
Does anyone else have any opinion about this? I was kind of hoping for more than two replies. Thanks

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 11
erm .. if you don't buy from an authorised dealer, I thought the warranty was void?

BT

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 11
What I was trying to say was that even if the warranty is void, Shure still has a flat rate out of warranty repair fee ($88). Since these work just fine, that may not be needed for a while (if at all). But even if it is needed, for 120+88=$208 for brand new ones.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 11
If they truly are SE420's I would consider it only an "okay" deal since they've been altered with and the warranty is voided. You'll need to be very careful with them since they are "exposed."

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Well no one has successfully cloned the packaging yet, and I talked to the seller myself (this was craigslist not eBay) on the phone. He was selling these to buy himself se530s. I'm not worried about these being fake. Not at all.

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 11
Alright guys, I got them today. They are certainly real. They sound very good, and are in near perfect shape aside from the missing rubber. A lot less Bass than my se530s, but still very accurate sounding and very clear. I think my friend will like them. I really hope so. I am a bit worried that he won't find enough bass, because he is a basshead who I am converting from Bose qc headphones, which have lots of bass and not much detail. What do you guys think I should tell him if he complains about the bass? Thanks!

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 11
I've had a pair of se420s for quite some time and the rubber thingy just broke this morning. It has split on the top of the rubber thingy. On the other side (left) there is aslo a split in the rubber but it is still holding on by a thread.

Must be time to upgrade to some se535s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back