SE420/530 v. er4p v. IE8
Mar 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #46 of 62
Brand new to the forum, and poppin my cherry with this thread.

I had the er-4p for a year and I absolutely loved them. After they broke, I went back to look for new IEM and bought the SE420... as I am checking the tracking number now its out for delivery
smile.gif
I'll let you know how it does, compared to the ER-4P.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #47 of 62
how bassy are the atrios? I was reading the ABI(AnythingButIpod) review and it made me believe they werent as bassy as im told...

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiohobo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brand new to the forum, and poppin my cherry with this thread.

I had the er-4p for a year and I absolutely loved them. After they broke, I went back to look for new IEM and bought the SE420... as I am checking the tracking number now its out for delivery
smile.gif
I'll let you know how it does, compared to the ER-4P.

I'd be keen to hear how you are getting on with the 420s. I'm soon to make a decision between ER-4p, SE420, and possibly SE530.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #49 of 62
Yeah, the 420 reviews are always rare, and would be appreciated. I only got to demo them for a short time but I remember it being very balanced.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #50 of 62
The 420 are a superb iem and way better than the 530.
Beautiful neutral sound with plenty of warmth and detail.
So much better than the 530 which really sounded 'farty' in the bass department and virtually no highs whatsoever.
The 420 is the complete opposite.
Along with the er4 which for yummy details are the best and the Ie8 which give you the beefiest sound ever in an earphone,there are no better iem's around.
I own all three and take pride in knowing i have the best!

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 62
My ER4P have plenty of bass!

Amped, they are transparent, liquid, deep-bassy, clean, sharp and gorgeous.

Using the gray-bi flanges, I've tweaked the EQ a little bit using foobar2000:

20081111-foobar2k_er4p_eq.png

I like them so much, that I'm planning to upgrade to Apuresound Cable instead of go multi-driver.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bassy are the atrios? I was reading the ABI(AnythingButIpod) review and it made me believe they werent as bassy as im told...

more bassy than IE8 w/ min bass, not sure how bassy IE8 w/ max bass can be vs atrios, but you get the idea.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #53 of 62
I have the ER4B and it's the most detailed iem I've ever heard. I remember listening to an early Iron Maiden song and I was blown away by the amount of detail I was hearing especially with the guitars.

I have the SE530's as well, and the mids sound fantastic. Smooth and up front. Highs are rolled of.

I also have the IE8's and I like them the best. Best soundstage and bass impact (I use the minimum setting) out of any iem I've heard.

Hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

not the thread to ask but its my thread, any good portable players that can play apple lossless, and how i convert to alac or flac?

you do realize that you can't just upconvert your mp3s to lossless (or at least it wouldn't do any good). because the mp3s have already been compressed with information lost. you will need to load all your cds into your library again in the proper lossless format. just throwin that out there.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

NOTE: **/guys please keep this topic clean and neutral, no fighting, no biased views, though everyone is entitled to an opinion. :02smile: **/

right ive been having a gander looking for some IEM's and my list has come down to this. I am looking for a very flat FQ, something that can sound similar to my stax.

now here's my list:-

SE420 - neutral sound
SE530 - flagship, ergonomics
ER4p - detail and clarity
IE8 - afford ability

so can i hear what people find annoying or what the IEms lack, or anything along those lines, every review i read,, its just how good this is, how good that is.

I listen to alot of underground hip-hop, indie rock, jazz, big band, and muse. as well as classical. as of now im leaning towards se420.

All I have to say is that the lowest price I could find for the IE8 is around US450... I picked up my SE530's on amazon for US265
We have similar tastes in music, Muse, jazz, indie(decembrists, wolf parade, mouse?) and the SE530's are very pleasing for all of these, and when I do the mods mentioned in another thread mentioned earlier, the soundstage does almost as much justice to Muse as my MS-1000 woodies
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #57 of 62
Regarding the ER4S vs the PFE. I heard the Phonaks do not respond to amping as much as the ER4S so are when people are comparing the two is that taken into consideration? To top if off some amps work a lot better with the ER4S than others. Even so, I am not saying the ety's over PFE's(I have not heard the PFEs yet), just that amping when comparing sound quality should be a consideration as there is more room for upside on the Ety's.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the 420 reviews are always rare, and would be appreciated. I only got to demo them for a short time but I remember it being very balanced.

my first expensive iem. and i'm sure somebody on here is already tired of me bashing them all week. but i think the rolled off highs are annoying. listening to rock/metal the guitar overpowers everything a bit too much. where's the cymbals? stay away if you're a metal head and like that "razor sharp" sound. And if i tune the eq toward bringing out the much needed highs ive gotten terrible sibilance. just too muffled in the highs. and if you try to eq them to twinkle those highs they punish you with scratching sibilance.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #59 of 62
You should be able to find the IE8's for under $350 easily. You may have to negotiate or use price match, but it's very easy and even possible to get them for under $300. The list price may be $450, but places who list at that price will definitely sell for much less. People have even got them for cheaper than the SE530's.

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock&rollfrenchfries /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the rolled off highs are annoying. listening to rock/metal the guitar overpowers everything a bit too much. where's the cymbals? stay away if you're a metal head and like that "razor sharp" sound.

While its true that they're lacking in all of the above stated areas, why would you gravitate toward an IEM that really excels in warm midrange? Metal dodges both of those areas nicely, making the choice to mix metal + Shure a terrible one, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back