SE420/530 v. er4p v. IE8
Feb 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
NOTE: **/guys please keep this topic clean and neutral, no fighting, no biased views, though everyone is entitled to an opinion. :02smile: **/

right ive been having a gander looking for some IEM's and my list has come down to this. I am looking for a very flat FQ, something that can sound similar to my stax.

now here's my list:-

SE420 - neutral sound
SE530 - flagship, ergonomics
ER4p - detail and clarity
IE8 - afford ability

so can i hear what people find annoying or what the IEms lack, or anything along those lines, every review i read,, its just how good this is, how good that is.

I listen to alot of underground hip-hop, indie rock, jazz, big band, and muse. as well as classical. as of now im leaning towards se420.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 62
Funny I've been on a similar search.

My opinion:

I own ER4's for 7-8 years now. Very flat (but lacking in the bass area) but I like them.

6 months ago bought SE530's, plenty of bass, very nice mids, lacks in the upper freq's.
I've never listened to the SE420's

I now have the IE8's (about 32hrs of break in). Bass setting at the minimal. They are nice, very flat, very balanced. My fav so far.

These things are very subjective though and I've never heard the ER4p's

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 62
I don't know many people who would consider the IE8's to be flat. I've read they're quite dark and frequency response seems to support that. I would also add the PFE's to that list, as I think most people would consider them better than the ER4P overall.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 62
er4 are lacking a tad on the low end, they really do need be amped at all times. comfort wise they not stunning, feel more like brain implants than ear phones.

IE8 not a lot of isolation and lots of people have had fit problems due its wierd ass shape and super shallow fit, no way to know if you would be one of them without trying it.

shures as i said before to you so wont repeat here other than i cant think of any glaring probs with them

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know many people who would consider the IE8's to be flat. I've read they're quite dark and frequency response seems to support that.

Not really dark but they have a sturdy bass fundament probably similar to W3. They also deliver very good treble extension. And yes, they may sound flat with some tips, which may give a somewhat loose seal. But to be honest, the whole tip/fit/seal thing could be a tricky. At least it will cost some time to try out things...

So I would say if a flat response is absolutely essential, the IE8 for sure is not the best choice. On the other hand the IE8 delivers sonic deliciousnesses like an unreal good soundstage for an IEM, devine airiness, a marvelous natural timbre and the overall sonic impression from a big and expensive headphone.

So my vote goes for ... guess what.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know many people who would consider the IE8's to be flat. I've read they're quite dark and frequency response seems to support that. I would also add the PFE's to that list, as I think most people would consider them better than the ER4P overall.

Agreed.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 62
I own the IE8 and the se530, for me the IE8 wins by miles on soundstage and an engaging experience, on putting a smile on my face. They're also better by some distance on clarity and comfort, and most of the time I much prefer their sound signature. The senns win on build quality and reliability, and the replaceable cable is reassuring.
The shures look more like a £200 product, they bring the music much closer to you, they have the vocals, the mids, quite far forward, and they isolate better. On a very noisy train they're the clear winners, i'll only need two thirds the volume I would with the senns.

I use comply tips with the IE8 which isolate almost as well as the shures, while they do darken the sound I think the trade off for greatly improved comfort and isolation is well worth it.

I really like the shures, don't get me wrong, both are very good IEMs and both have wow factor. You really can't make a wrong decision. Which you prefer more will probably be a matter of taste, but you won't be unhappy with either. If you use them only for commuting on the tube I'd say the shures are the phones for you, if you listen only by yourself in a quiet room the sennheisers are the obvious choice. That said they will both perform in each of these situations very well, and for the majority of people who use their IEMs in a variety of different environments which is best will be a matter of personal taste. Again, let me stress that while these produce a different sound it's very hard to say that either is worse, no-one in their right mind would be unhappy with either.

Had I to sell one of the two it would probably be the shures, that said if I lost the sennheisers I probably wouldn't rush out to replace them.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwatson87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the IE8 and the se530, for me the IE8 wins by miles on soundstage and an engaging experience, on putting a smile on my face. They're also better by some distance on clarity and comfort, and most of the time I much prefer their sound signature. The senns win on build quality and reliability, and the replaceable cable is reassuring.
The shures look more like a £200 product, they bring the music much closer to you, they have the vocals, the mids, quite far forward, and they isolate better. On a very noisy train they're the clear winners, i'll only need two thirds the volume I would with the senns.

I use comply tips with the IE8 which isolate almost as well as the shures, while they do darken the sound I think the trade off for greatly improved comfort and isolation is well worth it.

I really like the shures, don't get me wrong, both are very good IEMs and both have wow factor. You really can't make a wrong decision. Which you prefer more will probably be a matter of taste, but you won't be unhappy with either. If you use them only for commuting on the tube I'd say the shures are the phones for you, if you listen only by yourself in a quiet room the sennheisers are the obvious choice. That said they will both perform in each of these situations very well, and for the majority of people who use their IEMs in a variety of different environments which is best will be a matter of personal taste. Again, let me stress that while these produce a different sound it's very hard to say that either is worse, no-one in their right mind would be unhappy with either.

Had I to sell one of the two it would probably be the shures, that said if I lost the sennheisers I probably wouldn't rush out to replace them.

Which tips did you use on the Shure SE530's? Read my thread in my sig....

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 62
I think TF10Pro(first 500 before it's official release) are great.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 62
I guess flat was not the best choice of wording
biggrin.gif
but at the min bass setting for a mechanical device that is supposed to sound good the IE8 is unhyped (turning up the bass is another story)

More balanced sounding .... to my ears

in the end IEM's are so subjective, comfort, fitment you name it.

I really don't think any IEM will match your Stax ear speakers

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfmoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess flat was not the best choice of wording
biggrin.gif
but at the min bass setting for a mechanical device that is supposed to sound good the IE8 is unhyped (turning up the bass is another story)

More balanced sounding .... to my ears

in the end IEM's are so subjective, comfort, fitment you name it.

I really don't think any IEM will match your Stax ear speakers

I know, Its kinda of a daft idea. saying I want dynamics to sound like my stax lol. I know what im after, but I need to hear, i dont want bloaty bass, or high trebles, but i still like some bass, though the mids is the most important thing to me. then the bass quality and extension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lac29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say IE8 if you have the money or ER4P if you wanna save some money. SE530 are alright if you really want detail at the sacrifice of high freqs.

Wher eI live at my local store, the ER4-P is about US$105 more expensive. In that shortlist the IE8 is the cheapest of them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back