SE215 vs $400 options?
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aCanadianDude

New Head-Fier
Short and sweet. I’m not an audiophile. I’m not interested into really deeply analyzing how a headphone sounds.

About 10 years ago or so I had a pair of se215’s and I loved them! Mostly listen to hip hop. Enjoyed the bass they produced. They broke after awhile and I’ve been using some beats earbuds and they’ve been fine but now they’re starting to **** up.

Currently using the Apple earbuds that came with my phone for the first time and they’re absolutely horrible after coming from the beats.

I was looking into getting the se215’s again but I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’re outdated and left behind nowadays? If something sub $400 comes to mind that beats out the se215’s for bass heavy hip hop can you please leave a comment and i will look into them! Thank you! (Wireless is a plus but not a requirement)

Not int in using a dac or whatever and will be directly plugging into iPhone 12.

I've been considering the FiiO Fh5 maybe?

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I've owned several se215's through the years and honestly there are so many IEMs that just out perform it for the same price, with a budget of $400 you shouldn't have any issue finding something. One thing I will say is none of the IEMs I've tried have been as comfortable as se215. Right now for IEMs I've been using Moondrop Blessing2, there's a variation that was just put on pre-order Moondrop Blessing2: Dusk that has a different tuning for a little bit more bass. FiiO FH5 like you mentioned would also fit your description. Etymotic ER4XR may also fit your description.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 8
The Blessing 2 or Blessing 2 Dusk are the under $400 benchmark for quality. Make sure you look at them before you purchase anything else

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I've owned several se215's through the years and honestly there are so many IEMs that just out perform it for the same price, with a budget of $400 you shouldn't have any issue finding something. One thing I will say is none of the IEMs I've tried have been as comfortable as se215. Right now for IEMs I've been using Moondrop Blessing2, there's a variation that was just put on pre-order Moondrop Blessing2: Dusk that has a different tuning for a little bit more bass. FiiO FH5 like you mentioned would also fit your description. Etymotic ER4XR may also fit your description.

I'm leaning more toward the fh5 still. The ER4XR seems to be more neutral and analytical from what I've read, without real punchy bass.

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 8
have you tried them and the fh5?
My son just ordered them, so I will be listening to them when they get here. Probably will be here in a few weeks

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 8
I think you would be very happy with NCM NC5v2. It's a great all rounder product and its bass is clearly superior for its price range, full and clear. You can order it in universal or custom factor and personalize each monitor, but it's a bit over your pointed price.
Anyway, I've owned them for a year until I updated to the superior model (the Bella v1) and I regret not having kept them and purchase the Bella apart, so good they are.
Take a look to their site if you're interested. Thomas is very responsive if you have any question or issue.

http://nguyencustoms.com/ncm-nc5-v2/

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Short and sweet. I’m not an audiophile. I’m not interested into really deeply analyzing how a headphone sounds.

About 10 years ago or so I had a pair of se215’s and I loved them! Mostly listen to hip hop. Enjoyed the bass they produced. They broke after awhile and I’ve been using some beats earbuds and they’ve been fine but now they’re starting to **** up.

Currently using the Apple earbuds that came with my phone for the first time and they’re absolutely horrible after coming from the beats.

I was looking into getting the se215’s again but I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’re outdated and left behind nowadays? If something sub $400 comes to mind that beats out the se215’s for bass heavy hip hop can you please leave a comment and i will look into them! Thank you! (Wireless is a plus but not a requirement)

Not int in using a dac or whatever and will be directly plugging into iPhone 12.

I've been considering the FiiO Fh5 maybe?
- For massive bass, with a warm, but clean, clear sound, look into the iBasso IT00.
- For less than the cost of the FH5, look at the FH3.
- For one of the most versatile IEMs, that is very capable technically, and has punchy, powerful bass, I can very highly recommend the LZ A7. The bass goes deep, is full, and very tight, but it may sound a little dry compared to some other IEMs.
- For one of the best bang-for-the-buck IEMs, with lots of bass, and quite an intoxicating sound, look at the BLON BL03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back