SE210 compared with UM3X
Oct 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zentenk

Head-Fier
i dunno why but I like the SE210 better than my new UM3X

I'm rather disappointed with the UM3X, I was expecting a mind blowing experience, but its just not there at all! My SE210 hasnt had much burn in i say 100 hours or so.

I'm no audiophile but the SE210 sounded crisper and the UM3X sounded a bit nebulous and a bit foggy
confused.gif

It might just be my source as I've mostly been using ipod nano first gen (I know I know... dont flame me please) with music at 320kbps. Probably gonna get an X1050 in the next few days if its a lot better... gonna try it out with the um3x at a shop soon

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 16
Hmm... That should almost definitely not be the case. Its probably either a bad fit or a defective unit. Try both provided tip sizes and consider getting some silicon tips.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm now i know i dont love the um3x but it should beat the 210s

Agreed, the UM3X arent my favorite but they should definitely be a step up from the SE210 haha

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 16
lol, something is up, UM3X wipe the floor with SE210 in all areas. maybe you just dont like any bass in your music, so the total lack of it in SE210 may be more to your taste
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 16
"My SE210 hasnt had much burn in i say 100 hours or so."

Whats with this inacurate notion that BA need burn in?

No offense OP.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Familiarity wins initially.

The bigger question is what will win given some time.

I don't know how long you've been listening to the UM3X, but give it time. Start listening to a wide array of music. Feel free to switch back and forth between headphones and compare qualities of each on a given song. Start to pick up on the little details that make the phones different from each other. What aspects does the SE210 do better? What aspects does the UM3X do better? Do you see anything lacking in the SE210? Do you see anything lacking in the UM3X?

I think once you get some quality time with the UM3X and start comparing both critically, the UM3X will step ahead of the SE210. Personal preference is always a big thing though, and we get content being stuck in our ways. Sometimes it takes having a pile of headphones in front of you that you're swapping back and forth, comparing and contrasting, to figure out how things start to really stack up as well as what's important for musical reproduction as well as your personal preference in sound.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 16
I think it's a fit issue. I do not get a good fit with the UM3x - even with the gray silicone flex sleeves from the Westone 3 which fit me perfectly. I know this goes against most people's experiences, but I simply get a better fit with the W3s than with the UM3x.

Anyway, the UM3x sound muffled and "foggy" like you described if I even approach a good seal. If I do not get a good seal then they are much clearer, but the bass becomes anemic.

I am chalking this up to a fit issue at this point and have made an appointment to get impressions made for the UM56 tips next week. I was going to sell the UM3x, but I want to accurately compare the W3 to the UM3x once I have custom earpieces, taking the fit out of the equation. Right now, the W3 wins hands down, but I'm expecting it to be a much closer race with the UM56 tips. We'll see if I'm right.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 16
lol no way SE210>UM3X, I've tried SE530 at numerous occasions and to me the UM3X beat those in midrange detail and density by a mile.

It is probably because either you didn't get a good seal with the UM3X or your ears can't yet appreciate the goodness the UM3X delivers.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, The minute someone feels a lower cost product sounds better to THEM then a higher costing product they're wrong. I'm beginning to believe this whole audiophile thing is a huge placebo. Where if a product has a higher price it automatically sounds amazing. If that same product was given a entry level budget price it would only sound GOOD for it's price, nothing more...

Well it might be true, but in this case there is no mistake...

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Price doesn't impress me. However, quality of parts and more exotic configurations do correlate with price, and that can get you better sound quality when properly implemented.

For example, Yuin OK1 buds. They're uber expensive at $230. No normal person would in their right mind purchase such a product. In the grand scale of buds, it's an insane buy. Is it worth it? Does it actually provide outstanding sound? Yes. Yes it does. $230 worth? That's debatable, but relative to their IEM cousins and any other audio reproduction system, they do perform wonderfully and competitively within the pricing one commonly finds for a premium earphone. They have certainly been a favorite of mine.

It doesn't mean that an earphone has to be exotic or expensive to be good or that the exotic/expensive option will decimate the cheaper competition. For example, I'm very impressed with the ER4 and PFE BA IEMs. I'm just now getting into the top tier IEMs and testing them out, first the TF10 and now a UM3X on the way and probably a couple others like the CK100 and IE8 later.

I actually like the ER4 and PFE a lot for what they represent and what they are capable of doing at their price level. The TF10 does great in terms of frequency response because it has more drivers to cover the spectrum. A single BA is like a wide range driver, works over a certain area but can't really cover everything. The double and triple driver options are like 2 and 3 way component sets, easily covering the spectrum. The issue then becomes a matter of if the driver is actually better or not. A 3-way component set with mediocre drivers may cover the frequency spectrum well, but it will still end up mediocre. In some ways, the TF10 lacks some aspects of what the ER4 and PFE drivers were capable of capturing. There can still be issues with the driver or the implementation of that driver that can limit the setup as a whole. The TF10 doesn't entirely impress me even though it's a top level, triple driver (2-way) setup. It does do many things really well, and there really isn't all that much to complain about beyond personal preference. However it's also a technology premium and price premium that one begins to demand perfection from.

At 2x plus the price, one typically expects a significant leap. Then again, that's not really how it works. The leap is more logarithmic. You get great gains from super cheap to cheap, moderate gains from cheap to mid priced, and small gains from mid priced to high priced. That's just how it goes. By the time you get to the top end of the spectrum, you hope the end result is nearly flawless though. That isn't always the case. Even if you read reviews of all the top level IEMs, you will always see people complaining about various aspects. Personal preference wins out more often then price.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol no way SE210>UM3X, I've tried SE530 at numerous occasions and to me the UM3X beat those in midrange detail and density by a mile.

It is probably because either you didn't get a good seal with the UM3X or your ears can't yet appreciate the goodness the UM3X delivers.

I can understand why he prefers the SE210. My first IEM was Shure E2C and the second was UM3X. After listening to the UM3X and going back to Shure, I realised that the Shure was indeed inferior in many aspects such as instruments clarity and soundstage most obviously.

However, I personally feel that the vocals on UM3X had some major flaws in terms of positioning. Thats why I said I could understand why he PREFER SE210, I emphasized prefer as I personally feel it just come down to a matter of preference and taste. (just like some people detest classical and prefer jazz) and in fact, different IEMs do have the ability of shaping the original vocal placement.

I personally have sold away my UM3X, but after trying UM3X I obviously would not go back to Shure SE210.. maybe SE530. So if you really do like the Shure sound signature (they do have quite a pretty acurate vocal representation imo) then maybe you should try a higher range of that Brand.

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Agree with kokyao, i think it's because you're used with the shure signature,i used to use shure e2c,and then switch to um2, it was a big switch,i've to keep using it for at least 6 -8 months till my ear get used to it, mind you it's your ear,not the earphone,the 1st few months listening to um2,everything doesn't sound right,all i could feel was just the treble and the rest are just a big mess,and now i've been using it for almost 2 years,and use the shure olive foam,i couldn't believe how they sound

so you just have to get yourself used to it,it's like meeting a new person,or switching jobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back