SE 535(special edition) vs SE535(normal) vs Westone 4
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #46 of 59

Quote:
I don't think that is the point.......................

Taking the W4 as an example.................how can a top of the line universal IEM in the Westone range, share the same cable as a W1?

It is like getting a Analog Domain Amp and using a interconnect that came with the generic HT amp, or a pair of Magico and using the bell wires that came with a pair of Bose! Would you? 

Hmm, good point there. But cables here are fairly rare with an exception of hippo cables, maybe I should go check those out some time ^^

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #47 of 59
One of the things that bothers me about the W4 is its stupid short nozzle. Specifically, that each tip is like playing with an EQ, and that much fiddling had be done to get treble just right, without being dull and lazy, or painfully sibilant. Those ten tips weren't nearly enough. Wish they could add another half dozen or so to accomodate it. If you get the SE535LTD now, you'll have plenty of tips left over to swap and mod onto the W4, if you so please. If you want a sweet, natural listen, why not spring for a dynamic type IEM?
Quote:
I understood W4 to have a low quantity of bass relative to most phones.

From my experience with the W4 and 535 (not the special), the W4 actually has more bass than the 535. The W4 doesn't go quite as deep, most of its bass quantity is in a midbass hump , though its not really rolled off.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #50 of 59

Quote:
One of the things that bothers me about the W4 is its stupid short nozzle. Specifically, that each tip is like playing with an EQ, and that much fiddling had be done to get treble just right, without being dull and lazy, or painfully sibilant. Those ten tips weren't nearly enough. Wish they could add another half dozen or so to accomodate it. If you get the SE535LTD now, you'll have plenty of tips left over to swap and mod onto the W4, if you so please. If you want a sweet, natural listen, why not spring for a dynamic type IEM?

From my experience with the W4 and 535 (not the special), the W4 actually has more bass than the 535. The W4 doesn't go quite as deep, most of its bass quantity is in a midbass hump , though its not really rolled off.

Agree with the short nozzle, sometimes it pops out, but not too noticeable. The W4s have too much bass for me... 

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #51 of 59
I just hung up with Shure USA. I asked what the difference is between the Special Edition and the Bronze/Clear is. I was put on hold while the rep I spoke with went and
asked a fellow Shure employee who would know. He came back and said "the color".

Can any of you who have compared the two explain exactly what the difference is besides just listening? IE. Drivers are different, cables etc.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:
I just hung up with Shure USA. I asked what the difference is between the Special Edition and the Bronze/Clear is. I was put on hold while the rep I spoke with went and
asked a fellow Shure employee who would know. He came back and said "the color".

Can any of you who have compared the two explain exactly what the difference is besides just listening? IE. Drivers are different, cables etc.

When comparing specs on Shure's USA and Shure's Asia websites:
USA...bronze/clear specs say: Frequency Range 18Hz – 19kHz  vs  Asia says Frequency Range 18Hz – 19.5kHz

That is the only difference I spotted. can the .5 make that much diff?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #54 of 59
When comparing specs on Shure's USA and Shure's Asia websites:
USA...bronze/clear specs say: Frequency Range 18Hz – 19kHz  vs  Asia says Frequency Range 18Hz – 19.5kHz

That is the only difference I spotted. can the .5 make that much diff?

I can't hear much above 16-17 kHz....:)

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 59
Quote:
the red se535 are better than the bronze or clear, as they have higher high freq responses, this makes for no roll off on the treble. which gives them a little more height. imo this also makes the high sparkle alot more than the regular se535 bronze or silver. the reds mids are very forward, bass is nice and tight, and is more of a natural bass, than a over emphasized/synthetic bass sound.

if you arent looking at the 4r westones, i wouldnt look to the westones at all. alot say the sound of the westones are boring, or flat in sound compared to the se535/reds the shure are more bright and fun to listen to.

the se535 have the removeable cable so you can change cables which increases the sound quality given the certain cable

its up to you though

w4r have removable cable either!!

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:
So you start a thread saying you want advice on these IEMs, but you actually have a fairly strong bias against one of them.

So what's the point of the thread?

2x

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:
However, the nozzle of the SE535s break a lot easier than the Westones, albeit the SE535 is also longer and provides more isolation. 

Na... W4r with adequate, longer Comply, you can reach same isolation and fit!
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 59
Quote:
Any way I feel that in overall the se535 have a much better build quality than the westone. Westone cable seems really flimsy and the plastic housing seems cheap.
In overall I feel that westone products are really analytical compared to the shure.

I've owned both the Shure Se535 Red and Westone 4R. The Westone 4R is much better fitting, but more comfotable, and the cable on the westone is worlds better then the shure's. The cable on the shure is very tedious and its hard to find a nice fit. The tips are harder to take off the shure's too. The sound of both is nice, but the Westone 4R is better IMHO. The comfort it provides combined with the nice non-exhausting sound makes it the winner. By no means am I saying the Se535 red is bad, it's awesome and looks cool. You can't go wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back