SDS-XLR -- Safety Issue?
Oct 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been using my SDS-XLR with a balanced HD650/RS1 for about 3 years now. Best system I ever heard. In fact, I lost all interest in looking for something better, and dropped out of the head-fi scene.

Coming back to head-fi now, I see that there's a new Senn HD800 (good news) and all sorts of complaints against Singlepower (bad news).

Right now, I am mostly worried about whether there is a known safety issue with the SDS-XLR that I need to take care of. Any information you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 7
It seems that there are potential safety issues with many (most?) of the SP amps that are in their original configuration (i.e., that haven't been checked for safety or reconfigured). Best thing to do might be to post pictures in the "hand grenade" thread (it's a sticky) or send it to someone to look at.

P.S. I had mine fixed for minimal cost, and it sounds as good as ever. I plan on keeping it for some time.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 7
High resolution pictures are the easiest way to determine a problem.

If it has the high voltage option, that is definitely a problem.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I have a relatively "old" one by Head-fi standards, circa Feb. 2006. I don't think I have the high voltage option.

Looking at this thing, I am having second thoughts about opening it. I won't be able to put it back. I will just make sure the kids are not in the room when I use this for now
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back