SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Jun 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #766 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Now to find some...
cool.gif

FINDING ECC32's is not a problem. AFFORDING them, well that's another matter.

You can get them easily from tubeworld.com (which is what I recommend), or on EBay. EBay pricing varies but is rarely less than the $200 per tube that tubeworld charges, and in the case of tubeworld you KNOW you are getting a good NOS tube. EBay is much riskier for a tube costing this much.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #767 of 781
Heh, I remember looking on tubeworld and seeing that the are only selling pairs and not single tubes... maybe they've since updated their stock. If they're as amazing as everyone says they are, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they just might be worth it.
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #768 of 781
Email the guy at tubeworld. He sold me a single no problem. Well packed, truly mint condition, even the printing.

I have also read that the black-base ones are to be avoided due to a rash of fakes that were out there at one point.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #769 of 781
Here is my current SP tube lineup, I call this "Extremely British"
biggrin.gif
:

DSC01699.jpg

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #771 of 781
Since it has been a while since anyone has posted to this (amazing) thread I figured I'd post a question. Now that everyone has had so much time to try different combinations it would be great to know what everyone has settled on as their 'go to' combination. Include specific make of amp as well as what headphones you use and what kind of music you prefer and finally why you ultimately decided on your favorite combination. Should be interesting.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #772 of 781
while i don't have the amp anymore, my favorite tube combo for
the mpx3 slam se was the bendix 6385 for input and a pair of tungsol
6BL7GTA for output... the bendix 6385 was unique in that it really
required 100+ hr. of burn-in before the wall came down and opened
up to a refined and authoritative sound with amazing soundstage
and separation of notes.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #773 of 781
Here is a new one to try .... 6F8G for gain. This tube requires an adapter and there are not a lot of them around. The ones that remain available .... mostly RCAs .... are inexpensive if you can find them. I found a few TS / one Ken rad / one NU / one Sylvania and a couple Raytheons doing a diligent search.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #774 of 781
I generally fall back on: 1940s 6SN7GT outputs (Raytheon, Sylvania or NU) or 7N7s driven by a French Amperex pinch-waist 7062. But, I have many other combinations I like, depending on my mood, but nothing fancy.

I am fascinated to try this 6F8G.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #775 of 781
Do the 6F8G brands sound similar to the 6SN7 equivalents?
Does a TS 6F8G sound like a TS 6SN7 of the same vintage?

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #776 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the 6F8G brands sound similar to the 6SN7 equivalents?
Does a TS 6F8G sound like a TS 6SN7 of the same vintage?

In my experience, yes. The round-plate TS 6F8G sounds very much like the RP 6SN7GT, which makes the 6F8G version quite the bargain
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #777 of 781
While Mikhail don't reply my last email ... 8-(

How hot come your amp using :

6528 (very hot)
6080 (hot)
5998 (warm)
5687 (almost cold)

Is your transformer's unit emit a BUZZ / vibration using these ?

My amp is almost quiet using 5687 but higher than that, I have a transformer buzz. The higher current = louder sound.

Same for yours ?

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #778 of 781
New tubes and adapters came Monday, and I've been rolling tubes like mad the past couple of days.

So far, my favorite combo (by far) is the Sylvania 6sn7w driving the ECC99 as output tubes, run at 400v. Awesome tonal purity and very clear imaging and soundstage, while maintaining jackhammer dynamics and intensely percussive bass. Driving my modded Lawton Audio Denon LA2000's.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #779 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it has been a while since anyone has posted to this (amazing) thread I figured I'd post a question. Now that everyone has had so much time to try different combinations it would be great to know what everyone has settled on as their 'go to' combination. Include specific make of amp as well as what headphones you use and what kind of music you prefer and finally why you ultimately decided on your favorite combination. Should be interesting.

SP Supra. Bendix 2c51 in gain position. Tung Sol 5687 ("D" getter, I think) in outputs. I've been using this combination for the past two years with the AKG K701, and just can't seem to get away from it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #780 of 781
Recently, I've been rolling some tubes in my Supra with various headphones, trying to find a new combination, and a few days ago, I stumbled upon an awesome combination that I am really enjoying right now. I'm using an Amperex 7062 in the gain position, and two Tung-Sol 5687's in the outputs.

Earl praises the 7062 on page 12 of this thread, and I initially was sort of lukewarm about it. Shortly after I tried one in my amp a couple of years ago, I got the 2c51 adapter from Mikhail, and have been enjoying the Bendix 2c51 in the gain position for a long time. But when I was rolling some tubes the other day, for some reason I remembered the comments from Earl about the 7062, and I tried it out again. I think I'm now preferring it to the 2c51, which I really love. The funny thing is that my impressions of it match Earl's in his previous post.

Maybe it's just the slight change in sound that has me so captivated, I don't know. I'm going to have the try the 7062 with the 7119's in the gain position, which is another combination I really liked in m pre-2c51 days.

I guess this just goes to show that you should never stop tube rolling.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back