SDS, Supra, MPX tuberolling, the new global, improved thread
Jan 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #737 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well hot damn I'm glad I own one of the few !!! Soooo please tell me more (adapters needed, etc.)

I do not have a texture control knob on my MPX3 Slam SE, but I can run a 5751 as an input with the 5687 as outputs. It sounds great.

New tubes, eh! How about the 7AF7? A guy in the UK unloaded a bunch of them and various 7N7s on me. I have been testing them (I fixed the old adapter) and I stuck this one (short bottle T plate 7AF7) in as an input to some 5687s. It's a warmish tube that makes the 5687 sound a little less harsh, and it's quiet: a sort of poor man's RCA 6SN7GT! I can't say that it's any different than the 7N7 as this is the first of the lot I have played for any length of time and then listened to it once I knew it was working.

What's your opinion of this tube?

I am having so much fun with this amp! I have even taking to matching albums to tube combinations. I have a great SS head amp that took over as my "easy listening amp", since i just have to turn up the volume to get it to work. But when I want a different voice, I always come back to my SP.

Enough.

Keep feeding me tube suggestions

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #738 of 781
Anyone tried the 12AZ7 as an input. It also has pretty high gain = 60, like the 12AT7, but looks more like the 12AX7 in other ways.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #740 of 781
I've never tried the 12AY7, but I was given some 12Az7s to try and I didn't like them. They weren't smooth at all. On the other hand, in my MapleTree, they sounded almost as good as the best 5751s I have. Go figure.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #741 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never tried the 12AY7, but I was given some 12Az7s to try and I didn't like them. They weren't smooth at all. On the other hand, in my MapleTree, they sounded almost as good as the best 5751s I have. Go figure.

I liked the 12az7 in the Ear+ too. In fact, better than the Sylvania TM blackplate 5751 and the RCA blackplate 5751 I tried. The 12az7 sounds very good combined with 6080's in the Extreme.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #742 of 781
Changing the subject, guys. I just have been playing around with the tN7 and 7AF7. These are really nice tubes, on a par with some of the VT-231s. Mine came from the UK, but there are some on the tubeshop on Ebay.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #743 of 781
It's been awhile since I've listened to my MPX3 Slam; but what a joy it was to rediscover the system all over again. Just got some new cans for it, DT 990's, and am now looking to tube roll. Thing is I've forgotten what each of the tube slots relate to; which require, if any matched pairs and what my options are in tube types. To start I picked up a matched pair of 6SN7GTB Sylvania TALL BOTTLE "chrome top" which will go in the slots furthest away from the front panel, and in the slot closest to the front panel of the amp I'll use either the Raytheon 5687 or a Pope (Amperex)6SN7. Any other suggestions or advice would be helpful for this returning Singlepower user
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #744 of 781
I agree! The 7N7 tubes sound very good. Almost too good for the price. I was lucky enough to run across a lot of NOS NU tall bottle 7N7s and use them regularly in my ES-1 and Extreme Platinum as well as my DV 336FM. They have round plates without the typical 6SN7 round plate prices. Don't all of the 7AF7s have round plates?

Quote:

Changing the subject, guys. I just have been playing around with the tN7 and 7AF7. These are really nice tubes, on a par with some of the VT-231s. Mine came from the UK, but there are some on the tubeshop on Ebay.

Happy Tube Rolling!

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #745 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have round plates without the typical 6SN7 round plate prices. Don't all of the 7AF7s have round plates?

No, the 7N7 comes in the following constructions

1) Round plate - extremely rare, 1943. Equivalent of unobtanium $$$$$ round plate 6SN7

2) Box plate, old '40s tall bottle

3) Box plate, 1950s short bottle

4) Later T shape (triangular) plate

Also - round plate 7AF7 is a direct substitute.

All 7n7'sm, regardless of branding, were made by Sylvania, except the rare, gray glass, tall bottle, round plate National Union 7n7 from the 1940's.

The Sylvania 7n7's come in three styles; 1) 1940's tall bottle, silver coating at the top of the tube, gt style box plates, 2) early 1950's short bottle, silver coating at the top of the tube, gt style box plates, 3) mid- late 1950's/ early 1960's short bottle, gta type triangular plates, with a chrome top ring or clear top. I believe the gt style box plate tubes sound the best .... but the gta type 7n7 is still a very good tube.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #746 of 781
Oh one more thing. SACD Lover warned me that the round plates are fragile as the dickens and his experience was that they mostly died quickly. I have 3 pairs box plate tall bottles, 3 pairs box plate short bottles, 2 pairs 7AF7. The Tube Store on Ebay has some (or all) of these and also has a lot of the sockets if you want to make your own adapters. As SACD Lover warned, these sockets have locking "safety's" on them - a feature that Mikhial has not incorporated.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #747 of 781
Quote:

Oh one more thing. SACD Lover warned me that the round plates are fragile as the dickens and his experience was that they mostly died quickly. I have 3 pairs box plate tall bottles, 3 pairs box plate short bottles, 2 pairs 7AF7. The Tube Store on Ebay has some (or all) of these and also has a lot of the sockets if you want to make your own adapters. As SACD Lover warned, these sockets have locking "safety's" on them - a feature that Mikhial has not incorporated.

The roundplate NU 7N7's are very fragile. The roundplate 7AF7's have not given me a bit of trouble.

All loctal tube sockets have the SAME locking mechanism. But, in order to get the tubes out without a fight you need to disable the locking mechanism on the center pin.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #748 of 781
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't all of the 7AF7s have round plates.

Yes they do. Furthermore, all 7AF7's are Sylvania's to my knowledge .... regardless of what they were branded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back