SD card instal/format problems in my camera. Help?
Jun 17, 2005 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a Polaroid PDC 5070 digital camera and I just got a 256MB SD card for it, and the camera should be able to format it for use with it, but it's not working. Every time I try to access the SD card for copying photos from the camera's internal memory, it says, "no card". Am I putting my SD card in my camera the wrong way, or do I have to format my card on a PC equipped with a card reader?
A manual for this camera is available here,
just click on the download manual link and unzip. Maybe someone on the forums can help a digital camera noob out and school me on this?
I'd really appreciate it, as I need to get this SD card ready before the Oregon meet if I can for the photo quality I want to make use of.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't see any slide switch on my card, it's a Kingmax Platinum 256MB, here. I've tried reinserting it several times to see if I'm doing it right, and nothing works. I wonder if it's not 'thick' enough to seat properly?
Frustrating
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Abe - all Cards that bear the SD logo have to work in your camera, unless it is really old and does not support an large capacity like 1GB (but I doubt it).
possibilities:
1 - Have the camera off when inserting it
2 - format it inside the camera
3 - put it in your PC, format it there first and then repeat 1 & 2
4 - sounds like a dead card
frown.gif
good luck

Jun 17, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 7
I fixed the problem. What it was, the spring mechanism wouldn't lock onto the card when I pushed down on it slowly like the manual says, so instead I just did a fast thrust of the SD card and voila! It's in, it's faster than sh**(communication speed at least 3x what my camera pulls in internal memory), and the size is just right. I went from a capacity of about 10 pics with the 16MB internals to 200 with the 256MB, and I won't need a card reader, either. Just plug and play USB 2.0, and that's something I can live with.
Now I need to see if I can get an outboard (universal fit?) optical zoom for it.

Everything's super
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 7
You should return that camera then. That is not how an SD card slot should work. I have never had a camera with a card slot that *required* me to insert it quickly. It just sounds like it will be due for an early failure down the road.

-Ed

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 7
I think what it was, the mechanism was in great shape but simply jammed from the factory, but it definetly does not seem broken now, that's for sure. The SD card stays nice and snug, perfectly flush inside the loading slot, like it simply needed the mechanism to comply by way of forcing it into the correct position. I've also looked inside the slot, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. If need be, I can ask one of the guys at the Oregon meet later today(it's past midnight) if my camera's SD slot is malfunctioning.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back