Scratching on Headphone Jack
Jun 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FusionMK

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

So as of now, I have about six pairs of headphones, with each one at different degrees of usage.  Now I can definitely hear the difference between each one from the plugs of the headphones themselves.  My oldest one has an extremely scratched jack, and whenever I plug it into my computer, I hear a horrible static noise (though this isn't present with my phone, but it isn't my computer either).  Also, with my phone, which happens to be Android, these scratched plugs register the headphones as a microphone and randomly open up voice commands.

I guess my question is, how do you guys deal with scratched plugs?

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Are they covered in visible physical scratches, like scars? If that is the problem I would change the plugs - it's probably the easiest final solution.

If not, then they probably need cleaning with some alcohol, although I've only experienced this problem on old/vintage headphone plugs.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Did you try cleaning them? If you don't have any rubbing alcohol, a small dab of vodka on a rag should do the trick.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 7
this is most likely not due to the scratching... it sounds like a short.. try to test your plug with multimeter while shaking the cord...

I can't possibly think of any reason that the plug would cause static... except maybe extremly bad rusting...

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I think something similar is happening to mine.

My headphone plug has a small scratch (like a scar on the gold plating between the two black rings) on my Atrio MG7s.

The audio seems mostly fine but when I turn the plug around inside the source, at a certain range of angles the audio cuts off on the right channel.

Is there any way to fix this without reterminating? Something as silly as gold spray (haha), or should I look for a new plug?

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I think something similar is happening to mine.

My headphone plug has a small scratch (like a scar on the gold plating between the two black rings) on my Atrio MG7s.

The audio seems mostly fine but when I turn the plug around inside the source, at a certain range of angles the audio cuts off on the right channel.

Is there any way to fix this without reterminating? Something as silly as gold spray (haha), or should I look for a new plug?

The connectors inside the stereo socket are only set at certain angles rather than covering the circumference of the plug - so when the connection point hits the 'scar' you lose the connection.

I've tried to 'heal' a scarred plug before, but I've found it to be a waste of time - the goal is to make the plug as smooth as possible, which is impossible without high quality precision tools, so I just made mine worse.
Much easier and quicker to re-terminate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back