Scotch
Oct 4, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #121 of 653
The place I go charges about 15% of the price of a bottle for a dram.

Oct 4, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #122 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
The place I go charges about 15% of the price of a bottle for a dram.

That sounds about right, the local bars around here that serves the more expensive single malts by the glass charges anywhere from $25 and up.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #123 of 653
Added Laphroaig 15 and Springbank 10 - 100 proof.

Oct 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #125 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
As for blended scotch, I was given a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label for my birthday last year. My God! It is the ambrosia of blended scotches. Comparing it to the gold is like comparing Ety's to Prophonics.

Amen. Blue Label is my drink of choice. I usually pick up a few bottles every time I go out of the States. Duty Free == buy one, get one free!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #126 of 653
OK guys, update on my scotch adventures ; )

I just got a bottle of mcallen cask strength (no year specified, the sales guy said between 10-12 years )

HOLY SMOKES, FIRE!!!! I took a whif and nearly fell over. I put some water in! WOW what a punch! With a drop of water damn u can taste the thick spicey, smoky taste... Almost like Tastes like a mouthful of spice.

I also put a down payment (not much but so he can order) On a bottle of springbank 15 i'll have by next week. Scotch is back in my place ; ).

Last bottle was lagavulin 16, and i took a 3 month scotch break, due to funds.

These bottles should last i hope for a loong time. P.S The cask strengh mcallen was 53 bux! Why was it so cheap??

In any case, such a deviation from 12 or 18 year old typical mcallen. Also he told me 18 year isn't being stocked right now, anyone know any idea why? Are they out of it?

Oct 14, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #127 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
OK guys, update on my scotch adventures ; )

I just got a bottle of mcallen cask strength (no year specified, the sales guy said between 10-12 years )

HOLY SMOKES, FIRE!!!! I took a whif and nearly fell over. I put some water in! WOW what a punch! With a drop of water damn u can taste the thick spicey, smoky taste... Almost like Tastes like a mouthful of spice.

I also put a down payment (not much but so he can order) On a bottle of springbank 15 i'll have by next week. Scotch is back in my place ; ).

Last bottle was lagavulin 16, and i took a 3 month scotch break, due to funds.

These bottles should last i hope for a loong time. P.S The cask strengh mcallen was 53 bux! Why was it so cheap??

In any case, such a deviation from 12 or 18 year old typical mcallen. Also he told me 18 year isn't being stocked right now, anyone know any idea why? Are they out of it?

Yup, the cask strength Macallan is a kicker at 120 proof. My only guess as to why is so cheap is because of it relatively young age of 12 yrs. I'm sure price would be a bit more if it was further aged. I have a bottle of Macallan cask strength and don't have the nerve to try it
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #128 of 653
yep, well i think u need to give it a shot.

I think mine may be 14 years cuz it says it was bottled in 2002, and the sales guy said 10-12 years, so that +2 i guess (whichever)

Definatly something special, and worth the price (12 bux more then 12 year regular mcallan).
http://www.themacallan.com/range/cask_strength_us.html

here's the bottle i got, interesting i can't find it for sale on the site, and it was the last bottle in this store. I wonder if it's no longer available?

Oct 14, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #129 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
yep, well i think u need to give it a shot.

I think mine may be 14 years cuz it says it was bottled in 2002, and the sales guy said 10-12 years, so that +2 i guess (whichever)

Definatly something special, and worth the price (12 bux more then 12 year regular mcallan).
http://www.themacallan.com/range/cask_strength_us.html

here's the bottle i got, interesting i can't find it for sale on the site, and it was the last bottle in this store. I wonder if it's no longer available?

Unlike wine, Scotch does not age in the bottle. So once a 12 year, always a 12 year.
tongue.gif
I recently saw bottles of the Mac 18 for sale, so I don't think there is a general problem with distribution.

I haven't tried any cask strength stuff yet--looking forward to it!
k1000smile.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #131 of 653
wow.. i didn't even knew that there was that many kind of whiskey!

How about Wild Turkey Rare Breed! That stuff will give you a nice burning.
eek.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #134 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
wow.. i didn't even knew that there was that many kind of whiskey!

How about Wild Turkey Rare Breed! That stuff will give you a nice burning.
eek.gif

Aren't those turkey drinks Bourbon?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back