Scotch recommendations
Dec 18, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 48
I just don't think that I would like a really peaty taste.

You guys are great though. Many great recommendations for me to try. I'm sure I'll find at least one of the good ones.

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 48
Also, I have a storage question. Freezer. Yes or no?

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator

Are you out of your mind?
wink.gif
Definately NO!

/U.

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Nisbeth
A bottle of single-malt whisky has to handled with great care, displayed where visitors can see it and sipped appreciately on special occasions....
smily_headphones1.gif
(actually much like a pretty girlfriend
wink.gif
)

/U.

hahaha Great reply dude. I will definitely make sure it is pominently displayed just like a pretty girlfriend.

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator

Tsss, tsss, tsss..

And anything looking like an ice cube cannot get in a good scotch too.

Dec 18, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
I'm a fan of the Highland/Speyside varities. Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Macallen, Glenlivet, and Oban being my favorites.

Ditto on the items mentioned above, especially on the Macallan, and Oban. I always keep a extra full bottle of 12 year old Macallan in my stock. I also have a 15, 18, and 25 year old Macallan. I also enjoy a bottle of 12 year old Cragganmore. Single Malts should never be kept in the freezer. Just store it at room temperature and away from direct light.

Dec 19, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 48
dohminator: Personally, I also like the smokey Laphroaig style - but I wouldn't consider that an easy beginner's Scotch. I'd recommend to get a Glenfiddich - but be sure not to get the pacticularly young ones. Glenfiddich speciality are sherry casks - and that taste only seems to come through on the older ones (12 years minimum, I'd say...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 19, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #26 of 48
Any recommendation for a world class scotch is going to lead you down a single malt path. My two favorites are the 25 year old Macallen and the 16 year old Lagavulin. Both should be served with just the smallest amount of water which frees up the bouquet.

Dec 19, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jfalford
Any recommendation for a world class scotch is going to lead you down a single malt path. My two favorites are the 25 year old Macallen and the 16 year old Lagavulin. Both should be serves with just the smallest amount of water which frees up the bouquet.

good picks. Those are two very different flavors but both are quite representative of different types of good single-malts. I can't wait until I get back to my folk's place this week--my dad always has a glass of Macallen 25 waiting for me.

Dec 19, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
good picks. Those are two very different flavors but both are quite representative of different types of good single-malts. I can't wait until I get back to my folk's place this week--my dad always has a glass of Macallen 25 waiting for me.

Your dad sounds like good people, Jeff!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 48
I ended up going with a Macallen 12 year. It's pretty good. Definitely an aquired taste.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back