Scotch recommendations
Dec 18, 2003 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

dohminator

500+ Head-Fier
Based on a few other threads I have read about the alchohol preferences of the people on this board, I would like your help in picking out a nice scotch.

I turn 21 on friday and I was wanting to pick up something nice for myself, but I don't know what i should get.

I've done enough research to know that I don't want one from islay. Other than that I'm not sure. I basically want a decent single malt, that is easy on the beginner, that is resonably priced and something that I could possibly find in Manhattan, Kansas. Basically, it needs to be popular enough to be found outside of the huge liquor stores.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 48
Highland Park 12yo

Should be easy to find (almost anywhere), and doesn't taste too strong (in my opinion). A good way to start. Then you can see if you prefer something stronger or something weaker
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 48
Hey dohminator !!

Congrats on your new age on friday !!

Johny Walker red is the standard of the good ones.

So please, remember that it is for your good moments ONLY. Don't drink on bad moments.

At first swallow, give your car keys to somebody that is not drinking...
wink.gif

And finally, women are much nicer if you are sober. You will enjoy your company much much more, if you don't drink...
biggrin.gif

Good luck.

Ari

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 48
21year old Glengoyne malt whisky is my all time favourite.

You can probably get a bottle for about $60-75 USD.

Glengoyne do not use peat -- making them (almost?) unique.

--Jatinder

Dec 18, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 48
great recommendations so far guys.

I'm not planning on driving at all unless I'm sober. It's always been the rule for me.

I plan on enjoying a nice glass of scotch and a nice cigar to celebrate with my roomate. Then, after I've sobered up a little bit from the scotch, I'll start in on the main festivities.

After this weekend, I'll probably have my fill of hardcore drinking to last me a long while. I just can't get drunk that often. I'll usually drink a few beers and not feel in the mood to drink anymore. It's all about being in the right mood.

But yes, a nice bottle of scotch would do me nice for those times when I just feel like enjoying a drink and not drinking to excess.

Dec 18, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 48
Any of the Cadenheads full strength stuff.

Starting at about $50 a bottle and going much higher.
After you drink it full strength, the rest is just water
280smile.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 48
Jack Daniels is the only one I really like, is pretty good, Chivas Regal second for my taste.....

Edit: Sorry you were asking for scotch, this is a bourbon......

Dec 18, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 48
Sovkiller, Jack Daniels is a bourbon - which I also prefer to scotch (except for the hangover).

My scotch recommendation:

Glenmorangie

One of the best tasting scotches I've ever had. It was introduced to me, no less, by a native Scotsman. He said it was his favorite scotch and I had to accept his recommendation with a certain respect. The smell of it alone is heavenly. I don't think it's that expensive, either. I forget what a bottle costs, but definitely check this one out.

EDIT: Well. I did a quick look on the internet, where it doesn't seem to be that cheap -- around $50. But I swear I picked up a bottle of it (the 10 yr old) cheaper than that in NYC.

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 48
For a single malt, I'd recommend Oban. It's not too crazy re) that peaty smokey taste, and has a nice finish. Very smooth. It's going to set you back a bit ($40+), but a nice treat.

For blended, I'm partial to Dewars...for much the same reasons as above.

Dec 18, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 48
I agree w/ elrod, Oban is very good, with a very peaty/mossy taste. Not exactly easy for beginners, but a good peaty vibe. Like you can taste the peat the mash was filtered through. The standard is not Johnny Walker red, which is a blended scotch. Johnny black is my favorite, and you can drink it on the rocks. Red is NASTY on the rocks. I don't like Glenfiddich at all. It is not what I would say is made in small batches. Lagavulin 16 is the bomb, incredibly mighty, goes down and just flushes your body with warmth. Not a burning, but a thick, slow heat. Like Laphroaig- peat maximus.* Glenrothes is made in very small batches, in a small looking bottle. It has a dark amber color and has hints of molasses and orange blossoms. The taste is sweet, not earthy.*
http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRIT...hes-1989.shtml

*Not my words

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

... a decent single malt, that is easy on the beginner ...

My three recommendations, in order of preference: Macallan 12 y.o., Highland Park 12 y.o., Cragganmore 12 y.o. All of them are excellent single malts without the peatiness to be found in Islay or Island malts.

However, my favourite single malts are Talisker and Lagavulin. Once you get used to the heavy stuff, nothing else will do.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 48
Glenlivet is "easy" while not insipid like Glenfiddich, IMO.

While it is not as cool as buying a full bottle, I would recommend buying a selection of Scotches in "nip" bottles, if you have a liquor store with a good selection. You can get nips for any of the major Scotches including things like Lagavulin. They are realtively expenisve per the quantity you get, but it allows you to get an easy survey of the various flavours offered by the differenct families of Scotch. (Same thing applies to Cognacs, Rums, etc.)

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 48
I'm a fan of the Highland/Speyside varities. Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Macallen, Glenlivet, and Oban being my favorites. In my experience Glenlivet 12 is the standard for entry level/beginner scotch and its what I buy most often. It's represents the best "bang for the buck" in my opinion. I prefer the non-"French Oak" finish.

check out www.bevmo.com

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 48
Too bad you won't drink an Islay malt, because there is no doubt that Lagavulin is the world's finest whisky.

I'm with Kevin on the full strength recommendation. Some makers call it "cask strength", around 120 proof or better. d'Abunadh is one I buy and there is an OK Glenfarclas too.

Get yourself some crystal tumblers too (someone will surely buy you a couple on your 21st birthday) and don't put ice in it, just a little water. Ice is for Johnny Walker Red, whisky that you'd like to dull the taste of. That's important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back