SCL2 Sound Placement between L and R earpieces
Oct 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jaibautista

100+ Head-Fier
Fellow Head-fi'ers,

Greetings!

As of this writing, the replacement pair of SCL2s have been with me for almost two weeks already; I believe it's already burned in (sound's already good, near the quality of my old SCL2s) and having Kramer'd it, the 'phones sound fantastic.

One question though: I've noticed that when I remove one side of the 'phones and have one remain in my ear, there's a world of difference in how they sound. If I remove the right earpiece and listen only to the left earpiece, the sound coming from it sounds tinny; it lacks punch (i.e. bass) but the highs are much more pronounced. On the other hand, if I only listen to the right earpiece with the left removed from my ear, it smacks of too much bass with the highs somewhat recessed. But when both are in my ears, they sound just right.

Is it just me or is it the placement/separation of sound in the IEM?

I hope someone here who uses SCL2s/E2Cs can clarify this.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 10
I never experienced this with mine. If you play the same sound from either earpiece, it should sound the same although anything would sound tinny if you remove just one side.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never experienced this with mine. If you play the same sound from either earpiece, it should sound the same although anything would sound tinny if you remove just one side.

Yeah, it's tinny-sounding, but there's a difference at the relative tinniness of both 'phones at a time. When I just use the left 'phone with the right removes, the highs are much more pronounced with the bass somewhat lacking. For the other side, the bass and mids' too strong and the highs slightly recessed.

The problem's addressed the moment I have both sides inserted.

I also posted this at another IEM forum (SCL2 Sound Placement between L and R earpieces) and those who replied told me that it's expected that the IEM experience is somewhat compromised without wearing both 'phones at the same time.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 10
It's in the mix! All IEMs will sound bad with only one inserted, but if you were listening to dual mono the effect should be the same with L or R removed. All bets are off when using a stereo mix.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Honestly, it should not be tinny on one side and warm and bassy on the other side. It should be somewhat balanced although some parts of the music are only displayed on one side or the other. I believe there may be something wrong with your pair, or maybe bad seal on one side?

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's in the mix! All IEMs will sound bad with only one inserted, but if you were listening to dual mono the effect should be the same with L or R removed. All bets are off when using a stereo mix.

I see.

I think all my sounds are in stereo. Also, even when I'm listening to music with both 'phones in my ear, there's a somewhat "weird" placement of instruments; for instance, for cymbals and techno-inspired beats that are treble-ish, it's more pronounced in the left side (as far as judging what I hear from both 'phones) while bass-heavy beats prominently come from the right side.

Again, when both 'phones are in my ear, the problem's solved. The sound's very dynamic, the experience stretched to the fullest.

P.S. By the way, I'm using the double-flanged tips from my semi-retired UE Metro.Fi 200, since I forgot to remove the medium-sized black rubber tips when I sent the unit for warranty claims.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens when you switch sides (i.e. put the R side in your left ear, L in right)?

Is the same side still sounding tinny?

I tried doing what you suggested but I think it's quite impossible to perform it. Firstly, the 'phones were designed in a way that can only be worn according to the ear side; I've just attempted to wear the L side to my right ear and vice-versa to no avail. :p

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried doing what you suggested but I think it's quite impossible to perform it. Firstly, the 'phones were designed in a way that can only be worn according to the ear side; I've just attempted to wear the L side to my right ear and vice-versa to no avail. :p

Find a mono source & try your test. Jees

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it can be done. Maybe not without holding it in place, but all you're doing here should be creating a seal and listening to the sound for a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back