School of TUBES
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

GWorlDofSPACE

100+ Head-Fier
I am setting this thread for all of us who wants to learn the principles of tubes,

how they work in different designs and so on.

how to calculate and planing the designs.

how to work whit them - safety

more and more questions should be asked.

I WANT PEOPLE THAT HAVE GREAT KNOWLEDGE TO HELP US ALL...UNDERSTAND THE WORLD OF TUBES. PLEASE...

My first question is:
I have build a SRPP for my DAC (gamma2) and want to know how to calculate the right input capacity of the SRPP?

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am setting this thread for all of us who wants to learn the principles of tubes,

how they work in different designs and so on.

how to calculate and planing the designs.

how to work whit them - safety

more and more questions should be asked.

I WANT PEOPLE THAT HAVE GREAT KNOWLEDGE TO HELP US ALL...UNDERSTAND THE WORLD OF TUBES. PLEASE...

google has that knowledge. There is simply too much.

Alternately obtain Morgan Jones' book Valve Amplifiers. Its a great starter. After that you should be able to decide what you want to learn more about in better detail and find it in the older textbooks on the subject.
Quote:

My first question is:
I have build a SRPP for my DAC (gamma2) and want to know how to calculate the right input capacity of the SRPP?

This is actually your fifth question, the first four are the broad questions quoted above.

Do you mean calculating the input capacitance, or what value capacitor to use based on some desired bass rolloff. Calculating the value of input capacitor is the same as for SS circuitry.
F=1/(2pi*R*C)
Where F=the roll off frequency
Pi=3.1415926535
R=input resistance of the circuit in ohms (excluding special cases, this is the value of the grid leak resistor)
C=value of the series capacitor in farads

To calculate the input capacitance of an SRPP circuit one must know quite a great deal about the specifics of the circuit.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean calculating the input capacitance, or what value capacitor to use based on some desired bass rolloff. Calculating the value of input capacitor is the same as for SS circuitry.
F=1/(2pi*R*C)
Where F=the roll off frequency
Pi=3.1415926535
R=input resistance of the circuit in ohms (excluding special cases, this is the value of the grid leak resistor)
C=value of the series capacitor in farads

To calculate the input capacitance of an SRPP circuit one must know quite a great deal about the specifics of the circuit.

I meant what value should the input capacitor from DAC to tube grid.
I am using the 6H1P-EB tube.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Apr 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 18
You can't miss with the Morgan Jones book.

I can also agree that the Pete Millet site has an amazing amount of information, almost 4gb's worth. It has a lot of the technical papers that the tube designers wrote. I've seen some of them reprinted and being sold, but why buy it when it's being offered for free.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Also wanted to point out that I've found Bruce Rozenblit's "Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio" very helpful, in addition to everything else mentioned here.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also wanted to point out that I've found Bruce Rozenblit's "Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio" very helpful, in addition to everything else mentioned here.

Totally agree - great read and very informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back