Schitt Modi/Magni combo OR Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tonytrann

New Head-Fier
Hello guys! This is my first post on Head-Fi. I made an account just to ask this question cause I couldn't find a solid thread about this anywhere. As the title states, I have narrowed down my search for a DAC/Amp combo to two choices-
1. Schitt Modi/Magni combo ($198)
2. Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC ($209)
As you can already see, I would like to keep my budget to around $200 or less, and I doubt that'll happen already because I've read somewhere that the Schitt Modi/Magni doesn't come with the RCA cables requires to connect the Modi DAC to the Magni Amp, nor does it come with the USB cable either... So my bill already increased to around a little less than $250. 

Alright, onto my scenario. I'm 17, and own the amazing Philips Fidelio X1 :) My first open headphones! With my laptop and Spotify, which I believe is 320kbps. Both DAC/Amp have a USB DAC, but for the Schitt, that's all that it has is a USB DAC connection. While the D1 have USB, Optical, and Coaxial connection.

I want the option for best sound quality! More specifically better bass (tigher/fuller) and maybe a little more spacious sounding if possible. I don't really care on size/portability because it will be home use on a desk. I also don't really care about all of the functionality the D1 offers if the Schitt really is the Schitt when talking about sound quality, haha.

If anyone have owned/own both or have used/tested both before, please take a second to give me your input, it'll be greatly appreciated! :)

And besides the two option I have listed on this thread, if you guys have any other recommendations that fits the bill, I'm all ears! Or eyes, since I'll be reading them. haha.

And lastly, what do you guys think of my first thread? How did I do? Was there thing I shouldn't have done or should have? All opinions and suggestions are welcome and encouraged! 

Thanks for dropping by! :D

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 18
One advantage of the Modi/Magni is that later on you could swap out the Magni for a tube amp, if you want, and then sell the Magni. In other words, a more flexible upgrade path as you get into the hobby.

As you can already see, I would like to keep my budget to around $200 or less, and I doubt that'll happen already because I've read somewhere that the Schitt Modi/Magni doesn't come with the RCA cables requires to connect the Modi DAC to the Magni Amp, nor does it come with the USB cable either... So my bill already increased to around a little less than $250. 

Just so you know, you don't need a fancy USB cable. One of Monoprice's premium USB cables will work well (some of Monoprice's cables are also sold on Amazon).

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 18
Which has the "superior sound" will be highly subjective especially because you are comparing apples and oranges: solid state vs. solid state with tube. A question you might want to ask yourself is whether or not you want the stricter transparency of pure solid state or an amp that is colored by a tube in the pre-amp. Ultimately, you may only discover that answer for yourself by directly comparing a tube amp with the Magni (which is why I suggested the upgrade path option).

But you could always ask in the Magni/Modi announcement thread and the Magni thread to see if anyone has listened to both:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/1140
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the help cel4145! Your guidance is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks. Glad to help. :)

Ultimately, you can go with your best guess and not worry too much. At 17, this is just the beginning of your journey into hi-fi (at 19, I started out with Mission speakers and an integrated NAD amp). In future years, you'll want to try new stuff. Either one of those solutions is a great place to start. Not to mention that either would blow away anything your friends have heard :D

One other suggestion: watch for head-fi meetups in your area. Great way to hear different equipment. I'm sure people there would also love to hear your Philips Fidelio X1 and whatever amp/dac combo you get.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 18
Just FYI, the tube in the D1 does NOT affect headphone output. In terms of headphone output, both the Schiit and Mav units are solid-state. The Mav unit is a bit better if you'll have a mixed setup down the road with headphones AND speakers, allowing you to hook up an amp and headphone output at the same time. It also allows you to play with tubes. I'd suggest going for the D1 Plus since it has a better USB chip. The Schiit looks to be pretty good with simplicity and a headphone setup. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 18
The audio is just passed through it for flavoring. I find the D1 to be a way for beginners to sample tube flavor before dropping crazy money on a full tube amp. Different people like different audio gear, that's part of the fun :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 18
Hi, I am having a very similar internal debate, but I am coming down on the side of the Schitt combo. Part of the reason is that I currently have a Little Dot 2, which suits my German Maestro's ( for my ears), but I want something less warm for my Allessandro's. But, as was said above try to test your phones with other amps to get reference points if you can before spending out.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 18
The audio is just passed through it for flavoring. I find the D1 to be a way for beginners to sample tube flavor before dropping crazy money on a full tube amp. Different people like different audio gear, that's part of the fun :)

I glitched. That's what I thought. For some reason I was thinking you meant that the headphone output was bypassing the tube all together. LOL

I wonder what the low output impedance on it is? The Little Dot I+ hybrid solid stage tube design does the same thing so that it can provide better output for low impedance headphones (as opposed to many of their other full tube designs).

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
I glitched. That's what I thought. For some reason I was thinking you meant that the headphone output was bypassing the tube all together. LOL

I wonder what the low output impedance on it is? The Little Dot I+ hybrid solid stage tube design does the same thing so that it can provide better output for low impedance headphones (as opposed to many of their other full tube designs).

Sorry to confuse but the tube IS bypassed with the headphone output. The tube only affects 1 of the 3 outputs of the D1 and that is the "tube out" RCA jacks on the rear. The headphone and solid-state circuits are tubeless.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Sorry to confuse but the tube IS bypassed with the headphone output. The tube only affects 1 of the 3 outputs of the D1 and that is the "tube out" RCA jacks on the rear. The headphone and solid-state circuits are tubeless.

In that case, seems like the OP would be better off getting the Modi and then saving a little more for the Bravo Audio Ocean or Indeed G3 tube amp, if tube amp sound is what he is looking for. It would seem the advantage of getting the D1 over the Modi/Magni would be (a) the additional digital connections (good for connecting extra devices) and (b) the audio out (or try the tube out) for adding speakers. I don't get the point of the tube pre out for headphone use. What's a consumer supposed to do? Buy a second solid state amp (in addition to the built in one)? Doesn't make sense to me.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 18
Right, most people use the tube pre out for a speaker system. I did. The D1 is definitely a great all-in-one unit that's flexible for pretty much any setup. There's other (better?) components for specific setups. If you care about low power, cables, size, circuit simplicity then the Modi is a nice unit.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi, I am having a very similar internal debate, but I am coming down on the side of the Schitt combo. Part of the reason is that I currently have a Little Dot 2, which suits my German Maestro's ( for my ears), but I want something less warm for my Allessandro's. But, as was said above try to test your phones with other amps to get reference points if you can before spending out.

Hey I just ordered some Alessandros and was also deciding between the schiit combo, the Mav d1, or the Aune t1. I'm interested in Tube sounds and I'm not sure which to purchase. I like the design of the Aune t1, the Maverick D1 is great with multiple inputs, and the magni modi combo looks sleek and apparently sounds great. What do you think? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back