Schitt Magni/Modi not doing it for my mad dogs. Suggestions?
Aug 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oll180

New Head-Fier
Hi people I am currently listening to the mad dogs with alpha pads. They sound great through my old rotel amp( its a bit big to move around though). I recently purchased the magni/modi stack to try and while sounding very nice it just didn't get the mad dogs rocking like my old rotel, it sounds a bit bright for my likings and can be turned all the way up with ease. Feels like the mad dogs could use a bit more juice to fill out the sound a little. Any amp suggestions for small desktop, portable or amp/ dac combos would be appreciated. Budget is around 350 but could be stretched a little.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Project Ember

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Nope. Just read a lot.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Hi people I am currently listening to the mad dogs with alpha pads. They sound great through my old rotel amp( its a bit big to move around though). I recently purchased the magni/modi stack to try and while sounding very nice it just didn't get the mad dogs rocking like my old rotel, it sounds a bit bright for my likings and can be turned all the way up with ease. Feels like the mad dogs could use a bit more juice to fill out the sound a little. Any amp suggestions for small desktop, portable or amp/ dac combos would be appreciated. Budget is around 350 but could be stretched a little.

There is an Audio GD SA-31 in the classifieds. If you could stretch the budget a bit, it is ridiculous good with the Mad Dogs.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 12
I like it. Only posting to US unfortunately. Im here in Australia. Ill continue the search...
size]

Its not like the Magni is bad or anything. Its great for the price and drives the mad dogs at an acceptable level it just doesnt provide the nice full sound that I know they are capable of producing. 

Thanks for the reply. If you have any more suggestions please let me know.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi,

Quote:

I have only the "sane dog" original Fostex, with a different cable, Shure pads and some tape over the ports... But they are great for the money.

I drive them with the iFi iCan. This does very well, I like to kick the bass boost on the Amp in for the Fostex, they sound a bit thin otherwise. 

I tend to like the Fostex best for Popand similar music, for "audiophile" Jazz, Blues and Classical I prefer my Micro Seiki Electrostatics...

You can read the various reviews of the iCan (including my one) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-ican-headphone-amplifier

Cheerio RIch

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Asgard 2 should do the trick as well. So would matrix m stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back