SchiitShow 2015 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #361 of 437
Does anyone know what the ship time is currently for new Gungnir MB purchases? Is there a backlog?

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #363 of 437
  Does anyone know what the ship time is currently for new Gungnir MB purchases? Is there a backlog?

Their website tends to be accurate:

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #364 of 437

Their website tends to be accurate:

damn.. tks man! I was scouring the site and there the answer was staring right at me with a schiit eating grin the entire time!

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #365 of 437

I ordered mine yesterday morning and received it this morning, less than 24 hours later.

And I'm in Canada.

wow! Schiit that's quick!

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #366 of 437
+1M, walked into my office this morning and my wife had turned off my master power switch. A cold Taurus Mk.2 and Monarchy, growlllllllllllllll!

Remind her...to turn switches ON instead of OFF.  LOL.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #367 of 437
Hey All,
I ordered my new GMB on the 18th, and had it delivered today.

In the next couple weeks, I'll have it running through a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp to Tekton Lore, and AKG Q701
Really looking forward to this...

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #369 of 437
Reading the GMB impressions, I am starting to wonder if I need to upgrade amps.  I was planning to replace my Mjolnir with the Bryston bha-1.  Maybe the DAC upgrade will make my current Mojo more listenable...that would be cool.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #370 of 437
  Reading the GMB impressions, I am starting to wonder if I need to upgrade amps.  I was planning to replace my Mjolnir with the Bryston bha-1.  Maybe the DAC upgrade will make my current Mojo more listenable...that would be cool.

It certainly won't hurt to try the GMB with your current amp first.  But I find the GMB to be pretty neutral so if your amp isn't to your liking, I don't think the GMB is going to change much.

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #371 of 437
My biggest regret in audio in the last few years was selling my gungnir and after realizing how much I missed it I bought an uberfrost and I have to say even with only an Asgard 2 and Valhalla the gungnir sounded better so I would hope that the benefits of the GMB over the gungnir would be heard even over mid level amps. Would like to hear any impressions/ comparisons from people using the GMB with sub $500 amps.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #372 of 437
My biggest regret in audio in the last few years was selling my gungnir and after realizing how much I missed it I bought an uberfrost and I have to say even with only an Asgard 2 and Valhalla the gungnir sounded better so I would hope that the benefits of the GMB over the gungnir would be heard even over mid level amps. Would like to hear any impressions/ comparisons from people using the GMB with sub $500 amps.

That me!
But I'll have to wait a few days more for the FedEx truck.

My thoughts are that music has sounded, to my ears, digital from day one. When my Dad setup my brother and I with our first cheap pair of bookshelf speakers and matching stereo receiver to the stereo system and headphones I have today, from my first iPod to the Pono, though umpteen iterations of disc players costing from dollars to thousands of, through up samplers, over samplers, Wyrds and Jitters, and recently through a handful of USB DACs, be them of the portable or desktop variety such as Meridian Director or Schiit Bifrost Uber - at the end of the day, I still have to tell people "It's nice, but it's still digital."

Not being able to guarantee a front-row seat to listen to a Yggy first, I could not justify the cost to trial at home. But this DAC makes much more sense to me - it's been a lifetime pursuit and from what I've read, they got it right. And as far as cost of speakers and front end equipment, I don't see the need, as far as to hear the difference that I'm expecting to hear. An experiment that I will do with people who visit is I'll play through all the digital versions I have of Pink Floyd and their Dark Side of the Moon album. Only I'll do it in my home theater, where I went really cheap on equipment and speakers - sorry, can't afford 7 high quality speakers and an expensive subwoofer, pre-amp, amp, etc. The progression goes:

1. RedBook: regular compact disc
  2. DSD: the 5.1 channel SACD
  3. MLP: the original 4-channel quadraphonic mix, which someone kindly uploaded to the Internet in DVD-Audio 4.1
  4. LP

And when we get to the LP, everyone is kinda like - huh? There's just something vastly different and immediately perceptible and easy-going about the sound. I'm hoping in a few days to hear something along the lines of the "Huh?" sound. I just plan to do it on amplifiers in the cost range of $99 - $349.

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #373 of 437

In this instance regret can be repaired.  By another Gungnir.  Why?  Because the only real reason to look back on a poor choice is to rectify it.  This will give you what you  need but not what you want.  For that you will have to  look further.  There is nothing wrong with desiring something new and different or something old and familiar.

It's said that love is friendship set to music.

Enjoy the soundtrack that is your life, my friend.  And the equipment that allows this.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #374 of 437

I was listening to my GMB through my Garage1217 Project Solstice amp last night and it sounded great.  Actually, I think it really likes a little bit of tube euphony.  

Remember, one of the biggest benefits to the multibit upgrade is the natural tonality to instruments that you can't get with D-S.  It doesn't matter what amp you are using, this tonality will always come through.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #375 of 437
Read FAQs...
So Gen1 LISSTs is generally a no. Maybe--if these are successful--Schiit can roll some alternatives that can fit better in any tube socket.

Very unlikely, since "any tube socket" is completely irrelevant to what the topology of the design is, notwithstanding the type of tube it is..  Too many variables, and why should they really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back