Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #12,077 of 12,311
Has anyone gotten a MIB version recently and can compare it to the other offerings? I'm torn on trying a GS2 + unison or the MIB and am curious how they compare or thoughts on both
I bought the GS2 (Unison) and ran it for about 7-8 weeks. It was a big step up from the BF2/64 detail/performance wise. Impressive - but I never quite fell in love with the presentation and decided to roll the dice on the MIB card. I've been running the MIB for over 6 weeks now. Happy to report ut's a much better fit for my system/preferences. The only downside I've noticed is it's not quite as dynamic/lively sounding as the GS2. Overall it's a higher performing DAC (not that the GS2 is a slouch...) with a smoother, denser presentation. I'm extremely satisfied with the MIB! It's really tied my chain together, Dude.

My advice: The GS2 is such a good deal that there's very little risk in trying that first. You can turn it into a MIB if you decide it's not a perfect fit (i.e want more blackground/density/smoothness/micro detail/etc at cost of slightly worse dynamics). Sure you might save a few bucks going straight to MIB, but who knows how much longer the GS2 will be around for, and it's a phenomenal DAC!

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #12,078 of 12,311
Has anyone gotten a MIB version recently and can compare it to the other offerings? I'm torn on trying a GS2 + unison or the MIB and am curious how they compare or thoughts on both

You can always buy the MIB upgrade later with the GS2 and sell the OG board since they are no longer. So, go for the GS2 while you can.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #12,079 of 12,311
Thanks! The price on the Gs2 is definitely tempting. In general, how does the sound of the OG compare vs. the MIB?
I do not know or care. The OG has been the choice of a variety of people with different systems and tastes. That bodes for its neutrality and broad appeal. In addition the OG has a fully discrete analog output stage and that is important to me.

Besides, these are flavors. Choose yours.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #12,080 of 12,311
I bought the GS2 (Unison) and ran it for about 7-8 weeks. It was a big step up from the BF2/64 detail/performance wise. Impressive - but I never quite fell in love with the presentation and decided to roll the dice on the MIB card. I've been running the MIB for over 6 weeks now. Happy to report ut's a much better fit for my system/preferences. The only downside I've noticed is it's not quite as dynamic/lively sounding as the GS2. Overall it's a higher performing DAC (not that the GS2 is a slouch...) with a smoother, denser presentation. I'm extremely satisfied with the MIB! It's really tied my chain together, Dude.

My advice: The GS2 is such a good deal that there's very little risk in trying that first. You can turn it into a MIB if you decide it's not a perfect fit (i.e want more blackground/density/smoothness/micro detail/etc at cost of slightly worse dynamics). Sure you might save a few bucks going straight to MIB, but who knows how much longer the GS2 will be around for, and it's a phenomenal DAC!
Thanks for the feedback! How long did it take when you sent it back in for the upgrade? I'm wondering if that's the best way to go and upgrade later on...

What amp are you running with it btw? I have a MJ3 I'm looking to pair with the Yggy

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #12,082 of 12,311
Thanks! The price on the Gs2 is definitely my tempting. In general, how does the sound of the OG compare vs. the MIB?
Hi and welcome to Head-Fi and the thread! By using the search bar at the top you can search the thread for all MIB impressions - OR LIM or OG (which also goes by A2). There are a limited number of folks who have both DACs as complete, installed units. Switching cards and trying to A/B before/after is fraught with error b/c auditory memory is so short. Some take detailed notes though and compare them- anyway best wishes (oh btw the OG rocks! Got it in May 2023, haven’t looked back since).

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #12,083 of 12,311
Thanks for the feedback! How long did it take when you sent it back in for the upgrade? I'm wondering if that's the best way to go and upgrade later on...

What amp are you running with it btw? I have a MJ3 I'm looking to pair with the Yggy
I did the upgrade at home. It took ~30 mins from powering off w/ GS2 to powering on w/ MIB. Pretty noticeable difference in “flavor” right away. Using it with NITSCH DSHA-3FN & 1101 Audio Blue Halo+ (OTL tube) amps -> ZMF AC & VC.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #12,084 of 12,311
Hi and welcome to Head-Fi and the thread! By using the search bar at the top you can search the thread for all MIB impressions - OR LIM or OG (which also goes by A2). There are a limited number of folks who have both DACs as complete, installed units. Switching cards and trying to A/B before/after is fraught with error b/c auditory memory is so short. Some take detailed notes though and compare them- anyway best wishes (oh btw the OG rocks! Got it in May 2023, haven’t looked back since).

I am part of that limited amount, as I own both sets of boards. The OG favors grunt and dynamic swing while the MIB is more delicate but nimble. MIB integrates smoother into more systems, while OG if you build around really shines. It is a shame OG is unobtanium now. My system gels a bit more smoothly with MIB. However when I listen to OG it makes me feel I need to invest more into my chain to get the most out of it.

As far as tonal differences the MIB is extremely neutral, almost like a measurement DAC meets sweet treble presentation. Great depth, space and flow. Bass is very capable and mids a touch dry but the treble is so well done and no fatigue at all with my setups - it is also a very engaging presentation. A2 is all about lush mids, visceral and organic bass with a treble that has a tasteful touch of elevation. Dynamic swings have presence and force. Very different approaches while both sounding great. Given the rest of my chain leans more modest/neutral- I may end up using MIB primarily. One good thing to know is that if I do decide to sell my A2 cards, they will hold their value very well.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #12,085 of 12,311
I am part of that limited amount, as I own both sets of boards. The OG favors grunt and dynamic swing while the MIB is more delicate but nimble. MIB integrates smoother into more systems, while OG if you build around really shines. It is a shame OG is unobtanium now. My system gels a bit more smoothly with MIB. However when I listen to OG it makes me feel I need to invest more into my chain to get the most out of it.

As far as tonal differences the MIB is extremely neutral, almost like a measurement DAC meets sweet treble presentation. Great depth, space and flow. Bass is very capable and mids a touch dry but the treble is so well done and no fatigue at all with my setups - it is also a very engaging presentation. A2 is all about lush mids, visceral and organic bass with a treble that has a tasteful touch of elevation. Dynamic swings have presence and force. Very different approaches while both sounding great. Given the rest of my chain leans more modest/neutral- I may end up using MIB primarily. One good thing to know is that if I do decide to sell my A2 cards, they will hold their value very well.

In essence you say it… it is very much system dependent. IMHO on this pipeline, Qobuz > Yggy+OG > Kara > Tyr > Large Maggies (in large room), what I hear is balanced in the frequency space, no single band emphasized or suppressed. Perfect timbre, dynamics and instrument separation.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #12,086 of 12,311
You've built around the A2/OG well with that chain. Kara is an excellent performer and Tyr/Maggies will definitely squeeze the performance out of what you've got. I have speakers that are a bit dry (LS50 Meta, GT-102 Z4 Amp) so the smoother presentation of the MIB is the one that sounds more linear. System will make or break, but I still believe if one is squeezing the last drop out of each - the A2 will likely come ahead. Me? I'm just happy everything sounds great with either set of boards. The LIM does a great job at its own strengths as well.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #12,087 of 12,311
In essence you say it… it is very much system dependent. IMHO on this pipeline, Qobuz > Yggy+OG > Kara > Tyr > Large Maggies (in large room), what I hear is balanced in the frequency space, no single band emphasized or suppressed. Perfect timbre, dynamics and instrument separation.
That’s great news, ie the Yggy OG> Tyr pairing. I’m planning to go down that same path but wasn’t sure if the dac and amp in question might be “too much of a good thing” bass - wise. Sounds like just the opposite, as I hoped.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #12,088 of 12,311
One of the big reasons I pulled the trigger on the OG A2 (and has been considering the GS2) is because those have the discrete Schiit designed analog output stage.

The LIM and MIB both use the default TI op-amp output stage.

I don’t know if that’s just because how those chips are packaged so it’s impossible for Schiit to add their own output stage to them, or because they came in during the Yggy Thunderdome and they didn’t have the resources to design unique discrete output stages for the LIM, MIL (at the time), and eventually the MIB, but since Schiit calls their own op-amp based amp a Heresy I figured the Yggy models with the discrete output section were the ones to get.

Of course maybe I’m completely off there.

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #12,089 of 12,311
You've built around the A2/OG well with that chain. Kara is an excellent performer and Tyr/Maggies will definitely squeeze the performance out of what you've got. I have speakers that are a bit dry (LS50 Meta, GT-102 Z4 Amp) so the smoother presentation of the MIB is the one that sounds more linear. System will make or break, but I still believe if one is squeezing the last drop out of each - the A2 will likely come ahead. Me? I'm just happy everything sounds great with either set of boards. The LIM does a great job at its own strengths as well.
Incidentally… Qobuz output from a iOS device via USB into Yggy+ Unison port. And in my case via Urd Unison hub. That is the best DAC digital port IMO.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #12,090 of 12,311
Incidentally… Qobuz output from a iOS device via USB into Yggy+ Unison port. And in my case via Urd Unison hub. That is the best DAC digital port IMO.
I'm using the Red with phenomenal results. I do USB from PC to the Holo Red and then AES/Coax. Have yet to use the streamer aspect of the Red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back