Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #11,988 of 12,400
I'm currently using the Bifrost 2/64 paired with the Mjolnir 3 and HEK Stealth. While I'm satisfied with the sound quality, I'm considering whether the Bifrost might be limiting the potential of my setup. If I choose to upgrade my DAC, I'm aiming for a top-tier option. My choices are narrowed down to the Yggy OG or LIM and the Holo May KTE. I'm seeking advice specifically on the Holo May - does its 2X price tag justified? Additionally, could you clarify the distinctions between the Yggy OG and LIM models?

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #11,989 of 12,400
I'm currently using the Bifrost 2/64 paired with the Mjolnir 3 and HEK Stealth. While I'm satisfied with the sound quality, I'm considering whether the Bifrost might be limiting the potential of my setup. If I choose to upgrade my DAC, I'm aiming for a top-tier option. My choices are narrowed down to the Yggy OG or LIM and the Holo May KTE. I'm seeking advice specifically on the Holo May - does its 2X price tag justified? Additionally, could you clarify the distinctions between the Yggy OG and LIM models?
Yggy OG is no longer available new due to availability/cost of the DAC chips, only the LIM and newer MIB. I have an LIM and it is a fantastic DAC, it’s been described as smoother and more analog sounding than the MIB but I haven’t heard any other Yggy flavors to verify. I had the original Bifrost 2 and it is a big step up from that. However, your Bifrost 2/64 does use the exact same chips as the LIM so I’m not sure how drastic of a difference it would be to switch to that given the cost.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #11,990 of 12,400
Yggy OG is no longer available new due to availability/cost of the DAC chips, only the LIM and newer MIB. I have an LIM and it is a fantastic DAC, it’s been described as smoother and more analog sounding than the MIB but I haven’t heard any other Yggy flavors to verify. I had the original Bifrost 2 and it is a big step up from that. However, your Bifrost 2/64 does use the exact same chips as the LIM so I’m not sure how drastic of a difference it would be to switch to that given the cost.
Thanks for the reply! I'm in Europe and the Yggy OG is still available here:
https://www.schiit-europe.com/produ...bit-dac-with-closed-form-filter-eu-plug-230v/

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #11,991 of 12,400
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #11,993 of 12,400
Here is a YT vid that made the comparison you are seeking a few years ago. I have never heard the May or the Spring, many reviewers disagreed with P4S on the Spring, but even he thought the May was better- as it ought to be for nearly twice the price. I have never for one moment regretted investing in the OG. I have Susvara and am in the process of improving my audio chain to optimize its SQ- but the OG isn’t going anywhere.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #11,994 of 12,400
Here is a YT vid that made the comparison you are seeking a few years ago. I have never heard the May or the Spring, many reviewers disagreed with P4S on the Spring, but even he thought the May was better- as it ought to be for nearly twice the price. I have never for one moment regretted investing in the OG. I have Susvara and am in the process of improving my audio chain to optimize its SQ- but the OG isn’t going anywhere.

Thanks for the video! Have you ever compared the OG to a LIM? It seems like a hard choice between those two.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #11,995 of 12,400
deleted- immediately following post duplicates

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #11,996 of 12,400
Thanks for the video! Have you ever compared the OG to a LIM? It seems like a hard choice between those two.
I could have got the LIM card to make the comparison, but from the reviews - then from my experience- the OG had all I wanted

However

Below is what I gleaned from post of other users - maybe you will find some of it useful

Key:
Engagement / microdynamics / immediacy

Plankton / low-level information / resolution (not macro-detail)

Blackground / clarity

Key
Richness (entire range, not necessarily warmth, think chocolate cakeness)

Treble F'kery (digititus, sandiness, unnatural edge, prickliness)

X-axis is IIRC perceived NOT measured boost at various FR relative to neutral. This above was all AES input and BALance output. Reporters did not specify their drivers

Plankton:

Goes like this: Gungnir A1 = Bifrost 2 <= LIM = Yggdrasil GS/A1 <= Gungnir A2 < Yggdrasil A2/OG

For "blackground" and clarity:

Note this is with BAL out

Gungnir A1 = Yggdrasil A1/GS < Gungnir A2 = Yggdrasil A2/OG < Bifrost 2 <= LIM

Harmonic richness (throughout entire range, not to be confused with outright warmth)

Yggdrasil A1/GS = Gungnir A1 < LIM <= Gungnir A2 <= Bifrost 2 = Yggdrasil A2/OG

Engagement/microdynamics/expressiveness/immediacy (again, splitting hairs as usual):

BF2 < A2/OG < LIM < DAC2541

There is a lot more over at SBAF on this topic, pls see below link. A lot of this was updated after the MIB was released but for your purposes it should be enough.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...nd-mil-and-og-impressions-measurements.11391/

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #11,997 of 12,400
Gumby A2 acquits itself well.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #11,998 of 12,400
As owner of OG Yggdrasil, Spring 2 KTE, and May KTE: the Holo DACs in pure NOS are tonally denser but lack the punch and immediacy of Yggdrasil on Redbook material, which is where Mike Moffat's special filter sauce really shines. For higher-res material, I prefer the Holo DACs. For Redbook, use external upsampling for Holo (Roon x2 linear on the Spring 2, some tricky combo of upsampling/SDM on HQPlayer for the May). For one-and-done, OG Yggdrasil is very hard to beat, or at least I've not been able to. Everything I own that I prefer to it for some material is way more complex/more expensive.
Do you still rock the Yggdrasil OG or is the Holo May your mainstay? Thinking about going for the Holo Cyan 2 as compromise. Love my Bifrost 2 for its punchy dynamic fun Moffat sound but need a second DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #11,999 of 12,400
The Yggy a1 vs Gumby a2 battle was almost ant-climactic bc they sound so close to each other. GumbyMB a2 is/was a rockstar as a value proposition.
A little bit more low end emphasis with the yggy, and i mean a little more. More isnt even the right words, maybe a bit more heft to it.
Plankton/micro details are very close. Gumby might be a touch more laid back.
All of these things are within 5 or 10% of each other.

At least that is, on a Flux Mentor. This amp ROCKS. Already sounds great but the Flux guys told me it gets better at 100-150 hours. Giggity!

I'm keeping the Yggy but I'd absolutely be happy and have zero regrets with the Gumby.

day1c.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,000 of 12,400
Not sure how long yours is powered on now but yggy will get better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back