Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #11,972 of 12,400
Nope, there is no consensus. To find out which one you like you'll have to buy both and return the one you don't like as much.
Lol I'm waiting for someone to buy both.

I heard LIM and OG before but not at the same time. To be honest, I thought LIM impressed me more, but it can be my imagination.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #11,973 of 12,400
I think I read somewhere Mike prefers the LiM , I think some say it sounds more analog where the MiB has all those plankton. I'd probably go for MiB if I ever upgrade my OG.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #11,976 of 12,400
So the OG is the ugly duckling?
I think many would say it's their favorite. They only switched to Ti chips when Analog Designs' chips became cost prohibitive.
Being medical and defense industry chips i imagine the wars and covid and supply chain issues all contributed to that.

Preference is just flavor and genre and the rest of your chain.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #11,977 of 12,400
I think many would say it's their favorite. They only switched to Ti chips when Analog Designs' chips became cost prohibitive.
Being medical and defense industry chips i imagine the wars and covid and supply chain issues all contributed to that.

Preference is just flavor and genre and the rest of your chain.
As a fellow PC user. Do you set max volume on windows and adjust volume on the amp? Or set amp volume and adjust with keyboard?

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #11,978 of 12,400
As a fellow PC user. Do you set max volume on windows and adjust volume on the amp? Or set amp volume and adjust with keyboard?
95% volume on Windows is what I do, then control volume at the amp.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #11,979 of 12,400
95% volume on Windows is what I do, then control volume at the amp.
Windows digital out? If affirmative you are altering the stream pre D-to-A conversion, losing bit perfect conversion. IMHO volume should be controlled on the analog signal.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #11,980 of 12,400
Yes, I recall that but then nobody else responded, and I am unsure if you have compared it against Gen 5 (which in the marketing schiit called "USB solved" lol) .

Just wanting to dig a little deeper is all.
Yes, I had Gen5 and it definitely wasn't as good as S/PDIF inputs (coax, AES, BNC), comparing direct USB from MacMini Roon Core vs. PI2AES. USB sounded more harsh, brighter, while S/PDIF was more fluid, organic, natural. Unison USB was somehow even to S/PDIF, but I still had some slight preference to the latter. But honestly it was so close, that in blind test I would most likely fail to recognize the difference. I guess when anybody has better source than MacMini, Unison USB should be fine. Even Raspberry Pi is better than MacMini as USB end point.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #11,981 of 12,400
I think I read somewhere Mike prefers the LiM , I think some say it sounds more analog where the MiB has all those plankton. I'd probably go for MiB if I ever upgrade my OG.
See posts this thread starting at 11628, page 776

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #11,982 of 12,400
Hi Chuy,

I use JRiver media center in Windows to assist with volume control as I have too much gain otherwise. The internal volume setting in the program remaps the bits in 64 bit territory, attenuates the volume as you desire, then down converts to 24bit for output. Bypasses Windows completely. It sounds more tonally consistent to my ears than the Alps Blue Velvet volume control in the preamp. You can also set it to disable volume control and bypass windows too, which would the recommended starting point for any software if it has the feature.

Most of all, if you don't hear a difference then don't worry about it!!

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #11,983 of 12,400
Windows digital out? If affirmative you are altering the stream pre D-to-A conversion, losing bit perfect conversion. IMHO volume should be controlled on the analog signal.
Well both ways works so that's the good news.

I use USB out and I leave windows at 95% just for peace of mind (to avoid clipping); I much prefer controlling volume on the volume pot of the amp.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #11,984 of 12,400
Hi Chuy,

I use JRiver media center in Windows to assist with volume control as I have too much gain otherwise. The internal volume setting in the program remaps the bits in 64 bit territory, attenuates the volume as you desire, then down converts to 24bit for output. Bypasses Windows completely. It sounds more tonally consistent to my ears than the Alps Blue Velvet volume control in the preamp. You can also set it to disable volume control and bypass windows too, which would the recommended starting point for any software if it has the feature.

Most of all, if you don't hear a difference then don't worry about it!!
Oh wow, imma try that tonight. Thanks!

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #11,985 of 12,400
Its in the FAQ on Schitt's website for the Yggy LIM MIB versions.
1710202836826.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back