Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #11,926 of 12,404
As I understood the Unison is for the usb connection. I use coaxial from my streamer to the Yggy so that doesn’t matter. As for upgrading later on, the MiB chip on newer card is there for 850 usd so you can just change it out if you get bored of the older DAC on analog 1 card.
Thank you. It's sounding like the GS2 is a good fit for me off the rip.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #11,928 of 12,404
As I understood the Unison is for the usb connection. I use coaxial from my streamer to the Yggy so that doesn’t matter. As for upgrading later on, the MiB chip on newer card is there for 850 usd so you can just change it out if you get bored of the older DAC on analog 1 card.
Thanks, Bro.
Can't wait for Yggy >> Flux Mentor

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #11,929 of 12,404
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #11,930 of 12,404
That doesn't sound ideal...
That’s comparing to my BiFrost. But yea it’s also ideal to me. I thought about upgrading to the newer MiB board but the more “fine” bass on it from other reviewers makes me think I’m perfectly fine where I am.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #11,931 of 12,404
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Yggy GS2 in the next few days or weeks, but, I confess I'm not 100% what I'm getting.
Am I going to be left wanting for Analog 2 or is that not a problem?
Whats the pros/cons and upgrade cost if I do that later?
Is Unison very much better than Gen5 (PC main source)?

Thanks. I am EXCITE.
If your source is PC, definitely order Unison USB upgrade too. It’s worth it.

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #11,932 of 12,404
That’s comparing to my BiFrost. But yea it’s also ideal to me. I thought about upgrading to the newer MiB board but the more “fine” bass on it from other reviewers makes me think I’m perfectly fine where I am.
The MIB bass is also ridiculously good. I'm not sure why people are saying that but I'll chalk it up to ears/gear. Or perhaps the perception is that the bass doesn't stand out as much (i.e. less contrast) as it does with the A1 since the MIB presentation is denser overall and more fluid. In my experience going from the A1 -> MIB, the bass hits just as hard and deep, with as much (if not more) clarity and texture. It also feels more balanced/filled-in in the midbass whereas I felt the A1 was too lean for my preferences (again, my ears/gear).

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #11,933 of 12,404
The MIB bass is also ridiculously good. I'm not sure why people are saying that but I'll chalk it up to ears/gear. Or perhaps the perception is that the bass doesn't stand out as much (i.e. less contrast) as it does with the A1 since the MIB presentation is denser overall and more fluid. In my experience going from the A1 -> MIB, the bass hits just as hard and deep, with as much (if not more) clarity and texture. It also feels more balanced/filled-in in the midbass whereas I felt the A1 was too lean for my preferences (again, my ears/gear).
Susvara is plenty resolving and balanced for a headphone. I needed something more smooth to balance it out. The current set up works well for me as I like smooth jazz and R&B type music. If I switch to dance and other faster music I may get the upgrade.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #11,934 of 12,404
Susvara is plenty resolving and balanced for a headphone. I needed something more smooth to balance it out. The current set up works well for me as I like smooth jazz and R&B type music. If I switch to dance and other faster music I may get the upgrade.
Yggy A2 (=OG) does just fine for all genres on Susvaras in my experience. Bass texture and impacti= great. Treble clarity, plankton- excellent. Engagement /dynamics- also great. Imaging too- only in terms of soundstage width and depth do I find it a bit smaller than my preference. Going to add a Freya+ with upgraded tubes as a pre- downstream to see the effect on the last. It is really a great DAC and am so happy I bought one while they were available. Btw you may hear some chatter about the A2 RCA outputs being gimped. There is a volume difference between them, but I have found no discernible SQ difference other than that.

Of course A2 is not now available except on the secondary market. There are a lot of us who follow the thread who have A2, imho I am not tempted to change. I will instead work on other aspects of my audio chain. YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #11,935 of 12,404
I see you are listening to Yggy on Mjolnir 3 and Tyr monos out of different systems- the speakers are possibly not analogous but how do you find the difference?

Not that I am suggesting anything, but there are users out there listening to headphones on the Tyrs, though obviously a lot more on MJ3s- they both have chokes, but the MJ3s reportedly do better with lower impedance loads, whereas the higher powered Tyrs can handle anything.

I have only used the Tyrs to drive speakers and only used the Mjolnir 3 with headphones, so I can't really make any sort of a comparison there. I know people do it, but I'm not really sure why you would need to use dual mono Tyrs to drive headphones, short of something crazy like directly driving ribbon headphones. I'm using the Tyrs to drive relatively low sensitivity speakers with the Ascend LX's (though they are high passed with subs) and they sound awesome and get LOUD effortlessly. I've only used the Mjolnir 3 so far to drive HD650 and HD800S (both high impedance loads), though both of them sound as good as I've heard them out of any amp. I guess the closest thing I can make to a comparison is to say that both the Tyrs and the Mjolnir 3 have left me wanting for nothing in terms of amplification.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #11,936 of 12,404
Need a Yggy version recommendation (both ones currently for sale, or second-hand ones, like the A2/OG, work)

I primarily listen to orchestral soundtrack by John Williams.

My chain:
Source: Apple Music via an iPad (USB)
Amp: MJ3
HP: HE1000se and Arya v2

Which Yggy version will synergize well with my setup?

TIA!

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #11,937 of 12,404
Why does everyone call A2 "OG" when A1 is clearly the OG??

#StolenValor

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #11,939 of 12,404
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #11,940 of 12,404
Need a Yggy version recommendation (both ones currently for sale, or second-hand ones, like the A2/OG, work)

I primarily listen to orchestral soundtrack by John Williams.

My chain:
Source: Apple Music via an iPad (USB)
Amp: MJ3
HP: HE1000se and Arya v2

Which Yggy version will synergize well with my setup?

TIA!
As is so of the case “it depends” what kind of music do you live to listen to? If it’s jazz orchestral, the MIB is probably your style, LIM if not EDM/hip hop/ bass heavy music. OR you might save some cash and just do with a Bifrost 2/64. It’s about $2k less costly and the tonality is virtually the same. Yggy’s will have better dynamics/imaging/soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back