Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #11,911 of 12,283
I have been impressed by various pieces of equipment in my audio journey but I have always wondered what the “better” one sounds like. This might be the first to give me that feeling of “yeah I’m sure this is as good as it gets. This may be the Mount Everest of dacs”. May be excitement. I’ll tell of my thoughts a few weeks in.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #11,912 of 12,283
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #11,913 of 12,283
I received a GS2 recently and it’s really an absolute steal for the level of DAC you’re getting. The A1 boards still sound absolutely brilliant, and the new chassis is such an improvement over the old one. If you’re at all curious about the Yggdrasil, you should take the plunge. I’ve heard the Modi MB 1, the Bifrost MB 1 and 2 OG, and Gungnir MB A1, and the Yggdrasil is better than all of them. It’s more resolving, with a more 3D sense of space, incredible texture and doesn’t blur or blend anything. I got the version with Gen 5 USB because I don’t use USB and it’s $1699 plus shipping, a bonkers price when you consider these same boards in the old chassis originally released for $2200 IIRC. The new chassis is significantly more svelte and attractive and far far easier to open up for board swaps.
Longer term update, I’ve had the GS2 powered on since I got it. It’s the best I’ve ever heard music sound, on speakers or on headphones (my amp for both is a Ragnarok 1, headphone is ZMF Auteur). I have no desire to hear any other DAC at this point and I actually haven’t put on a single vinyl record since I got the Yggy.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #11,914 of 12,283
Schiit has one in the Closeout section but in silver
Thank you BTW! :beerchug:
I guess I procured the last Yggy+ OG they will sell new? It's on the way and I'm excited to get it up and going next week.

Now if only my dang V281LE would get here so I can try to convince myself I'm done for a while with this hobby...

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #11,916 of 12,283
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #11,917 of 12,283
I am pretty content with my GS2 at home and my BF 2/64 at work. In fact, I think I am pretty content with everything. When my gen 1 Parasound Halo Integrated dies, I will look at a Kara and Aegir 2 combo, but everything works right now and works well.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #11,918 of 12,283
Just got my GS2 this morning - coming from an old Bifrost Multibit with Unison USB. For the Tidal listeners out there, make sure you're manually selecting the "Sound output" device in the settings so you get the "more settings" option where you can turn on Exclusive Mode and enable MQA passthrough. This isn't specific for the Yggy, but I was like "this doesn't sound right" until I realized those settings defaulted due to the output change. Initial impressions are very good.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #11,919 of 12,283
Just got my GS2 this morning - coming from an old Bifrost Multibit with Unison USB. For the Tidal listeners out there, make sure you're manually selecting the "Sound output" device in the settings so you get the "more settings" option where you can turn on Exclusive Mode and enable MQA passthrough. This isn't specific for the Yggy, but I was like "this doesn't sound right" until I realized those settings defaulted due to the output change. Initial impressions are very good.
Thanks for this! I had no idea and it made a huge difference.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #11,920 of 12,283
turn on Exclusive Mode and enable MQA passthrough

I was under the impression that MQA passthrough should be turned on for MQA enabled DACs and off for DACs that don’t do MQA, such as the Yggdrasil. Turning off MQA passthrough has Tidal do the initial unfold and then sends a PCM stream to the DAC.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #11,921 of 12,283
I was under the impression that MQA passthrough should be turned on for MQA enabled DACs and off for DACs that don’t do MQA, such as the Yggdrasil. Turning off MQA passthrough has Tidal do the initial unfold and then sends a PCM stream to the DAC.

You’re correct, that is how it works and in theory passthrough should be left off (unchecked). Thanks for calling it out. To clarify “Exclusive mode” is the bigger deal here.

That being said, now I remember looking into this in the past and even after knowing that, I determined that I preferred how it sounded with passthrough enabled (checked). Granted this was with my Bifrost - I need to revisit this with the Yggy.

I don’t have an answer for that, but it’s an easy on/off for people to try.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #11,922 of 12,283
I see you are listening to Yggy on Mjolnir 3 and Tyr monos out of different systems- the speakers are possibly not analogous but how do you find the difference?

Not that I am suggesting anything, but there are users out there listening to headphones on the Tyrs, though obviously a lot more on MJ3s- they both have chokes, but the MJ3s reportedly do better with lower impedance loads, whereas the higher powered Tyrs can handle anything.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #11,923 of 12,283
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Yggy GS2 in the next few days or weeks, but, I confess I'm not 100% what I'm getting.
Am I going to be left wanting for Analog 2 or is that not a problem?
Whats the pros/cons and upgrade cost if I do that later?
Is Unison very much better than Gen5 (PC main source)?

Thanks. I am EXCITE.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #11,924 of 12,283
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Yggy GS2 in the next few days or weeks, but, I confess I'm not 100% what I'm getting.
Am I going to be left wanting for Analog 2 or is that not a problem?
Whats the pros/cons and upgrade cost if I do that later?
Is Unison very much better than Gen5 (PC main source)?

Thanks. I am EXCITE.
As I understood the Unison is for the usb connection. I use coaxial from my streamer to the Yggy so that doesn’t matter. As for upgrading later on, the MiB chip on newer card is there for 850 usd so you can just change it out if you get bored of the older DAC on analog 1 card.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #11,925 of 12,283
The GS2 is bass heavy. I love it. I didn’t realize I was so treble adversed till the BiFrost showed how harsh the trebles can be. It’s very resolving but too dry.

The Yggy GS2 is just perfect with the resolution, stage, plankton, and impactful bass. I read from some of the MIB owners that their Yggy are even more resolving and accurate than the OG but is bass lite in comparison. GS2 makes up for some of the poor bass in my Susvara. The rest of the deep bass and smooth mid was taken up by the MJ3 amplifier. I’m surprised they are priced so cheap since the GS2 + MJ3 combo would have cost 6K+ from any other company.
Now this is what I want to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back