Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #11,866 of 12,310
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #11,867 of 12,310
I'm confused and appreciate any feedback.

I have my Yggy GS2 outputting two SE signals, one for each amp I have. One is a tube amp, the other is the V222 SS.( I also have Yggy outputting a balanced XLR signal as well) When I have both the tube amp, AND the V222 turned on I can listen to headphones out of either amp via SE. If I turn off the tube amp I get no sound from the v222 SE or XLR. The only way to get sound out of the V222 when the tube amp is on is to switch the V222 to Balanced XLR, and then my SE headphone performs as expected.

If I don't want to leave my tubes on for no reason, If I want to keep the tube amp off when not needed, I need to remove the SE cables from its back and then the output to the other amp is fine.

Is this normal for Yggy or am I doing something wrong? Or other suggestions/insights.........

Many thanks!

Leo

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #11,868 of 12,310

I have my Yggy GS2 outputting two SE signals, one for each amp I have. One is a tube amp, the other is the V222 SS.( I also have Yggy outputting a balanced XLR signal as well) When I have both the tube amp, AND the V222 turned on I can listen to headphones out of either amp via SE. If I turn off the tube amp I get no sound from the v222 SE or XLR. The only way to get sound out of the V222 when the tube amp is on is to switch the V222 to Balanced XLR, and then my SE headphone performs as expected.

If I don't want to leave my tubes on for no reason, If I want to keep the tube amp off when not needed, I need to remove the SE cables from its back and then the output to the other amp is fine.

Is this normal for Yggy or am I doing something wrong? Or other suggestions/insights.........

Many thanks!

Leo

All outputs SE and XLR are active at the same time. It appears that your tube amp loads its Yggy output and causes a problem. The solution might be to use a SYS as a switch.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #11,869 of 12,310
Was debating the Urd vs. a SACD player for my next purchase. Discovered the Arcam CDS50 will convert SACD to PCM @ 88.2 kHz via Coaxial (not sure about Optical). Purchased the Arcam and connected it to the GS2 via a 20+ year old MIT Terminator 3 Coaxial Digital Cable. Currently listening to the Stones' Beggars Banquet 50th Anniversary SACD. Sounds amazing. Will compare with Balanced and RCA out from the Arcam's internal ESS DAC at some point. Happy accident that it's a nice cosmetic match for all my Schiit gear. Fun.

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #11,870 of 12,310
Was debating the Urd vs. a SACD player for my next purchase. Discovered the Arcam CDS50 will convert SACD to PCM @ 88.2 kHz via Coaxial (not sure about Optical). Purchased the Arcam and connected it to the GS2 via a 20+ year old MIT Terminator 3 Coaxial Digital Cable. Currently listening to the Stones' Beggars Banquet 50th Anniversary SACD. Sounds amazing. Will compare with Balanced and RCA out from the Arcam's internal ESS DAC at some point. Happy accident that it's a nice cosmetic match for all my Schiit gear. Fun.

IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg
That is a really nice looking SACD player, and I am glad it plays nicely with the GS2. I think it has the same DAC chip as my Oppo BDP-205.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #11,871 of 12,310
All outputs SE and XLR are active at the same time. It appears that your tube amp loads its Yggy output and causes a problem. The solution might be to use a SYS as a switch.
Thanks! Simple solution. SYS ordered.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #11,872 of 12,310

Many thanks!

Leo
I have a Yggy+ GS2 connected to 3 amps as well (1x tube, 2x solid state), and it will sometimes get "confused" when turning one of them on/off while others are on resulting in no sound like you've mentioned.
There is an audible click, or series of clicks, from the Yggy+ when it happens and I resolve it by switching the input to a different one and then back again, e.g. AES to BNC via the remote and then back to AES.
It isn't consistently repeatable, but happens frequently enough that it's worth mentioning. Likely a loading issue as @adias has mentioned.
The stream source is my laptop (USB to DDC) and I also periodically get rapid clicking from the Yggy+ when I break the USB connection from my laptop.
Again this is resolved by switching inputs, which I now do prior to disconnecting my laptop.

For me, working through the quirks is a small price to pay for having a phenomenal DAC with 3x always on output options. :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #11,873 of 12,310

IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg
Nice rack. :)

Somewhat off-topic, but what do you think of Zu speaks, especially matched with the Yggy and Schiit gear?

They've piqued my interest for years now.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #11,875 of 12,310
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #11,877 of 12,310
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #11,878 of 12,310
Funny thing about the MIB cards being available is that you can now purchase a Yggy+ GS2 AND the MIB upgrade cards for $150 less than the Yggy+ MIB ...
Would be interesting if one could order the GS2 and ask Schiit to install the MIB Board prior to shipping. Surely they would see thru this- anyway good to see this drop. $850 is a fair chunk of change- still, good to see it is now an option, especially since the OG no longer is.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #11,879 of 12,310
Would be interesting if one could order the GS2 and ask Schiit to install the MIB Board prior to shipping. Surely they would see thru this- anyway good to see this drop. $850 is a fair chunk of change- still, good to see it is now an option, especially since the OG no longer is.
From the GS2 FAQs:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 5.43.02 PM.png

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #11,880 of 12,310

Many thanks!

Leo
I realized I don't have any problems if, when my tube amp is off, and am listening to the V222 via SE, all I need to do is switch the output from SE, to XLR and enjoy the music. Other than an increase in loudness (very small dB) there really isn't any problem either from a sonic perspective, or from a damaging the amp perspective.

Appreciate the feedback guys!

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back