Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #11,821 of 12,305
I have been passively listening to the GS2 as it bakes over the past 24 hours. I have been running it continuously and listening occasionally on and off. Listening actively for the first time tonight, the sound is recessed and somewhat anemic through the midrange so I went back to listening passively. Every once in a while, something will jump out that I don't recall hearing (usually in the bass or top end with strings in particular) and I will return to active listening for a moment. When I added the Bifrost 2/64, it was already in my desktop system for a minute so no acclimation process aside from keeping it turned on. That being said, I can hear the potential and I'm being super picky right now. Listening to Rumors in 24/96 FLAC and Cleopatra in 24/44.1 FLAC to evaluate critically via Roon. Shuffling otherwise to acclimate. Enjoying the process and eager to see where we land in the near future. The Yggdrasil has been my personal grail since I joined Head-Fi so I am staying in the moment as best I can. I am unabashedly optimistic.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #11,822 of 12,305
I have been passively listening to the GS2 as it bakes over the past 24 hours. I have been running it continuously and listening occasionally on and off. Listening actively for the first time tonight, the sound is recessed and somewhat anemic through the midrange so I went back to listening passively. Every once in a while, something will jump out that I don't recall hearing (usually in the bass or top end with strings in particular) and I will return to active listening for a moment. When I added the Bifrost 2/64, it was already in my desktop system for a minute so no acclimation process aside from keeping it turned on. That being said, I can hear the potential and I'm being super picky right now. Listening to Rumors in 24/96 FLAC and Cleopatra in 24/44.1 FLAC to evaluate critically via Roon. Shuffling otherwise to acclimate. Enjoying the process and eager to see where we land in the near future. The Yggdrasil has been my personal grail since I joined Head-Fi so I am staying in the moment as best I can. I am unabashedly optimistic.
If you are streaming from Eversolo DMP A6 thru Freya+, are you using USB into the GS2? Then via Freya+ out to Lyr? Balanced or SE? Then to what headphones? Or is it to speakers? Please describe your chain- that will give us more idea about context.

My advice would be to get it playing a continually shuffling playlist (doesnt even need to be playing out to an amp as long as you check to be sure the music is still playing via a streaming app or such, or listen via headphones occasionally just to be sure it’s still playing), and not even pay attention to SQ for about 10 days. Then listen again carefully for SQ. I think you will find it is QUITE different by then— and you will still be in the return window if you find you still don't like it.

I think you will be in for quite a surprise in 10 days. But YMMV-

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #11,823 of 12,305

It truly needs several days to fully warm up. Your optimism is well founded.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #11,824 of 12,305
To be completely honest I felt the exact same way, even after the first full week: detailed, but disappointingly anemic. It wasn’t until day 10 when suddenly the upper bass and lower mids “clicked” and now sound much fuller. After a week or so I found myself contemplating whether or not I wanted a lean sounding dac and wasn’t expecting it to keep changing beyond a week. I’m at 2 weeks runtime tomorrow and it just keeps getting better and better. I applaud your patience and am eager to hear what your experience is like over the next several weeks!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #11,825 of 12,305
If you are streaming from Eversolo DMP A6 thru Freya+, are you using USB into the GS2? Then via Freya+ out to Lyr? Balanced or SE? Then to what headphones? Or is it to speakers? Please describe your chain- that will give us more idea about context.

My advice would be to get it playing a continually shuffling playlist (doesnt even need to be playing out to an amp as long as you check to be sure the music is still playing via a streaming app or such, or listen via headphones occasionally just to be sure it’s still playing), and not even pay attention to SQ for about 10 days. Then listen again carefully for SQ. I think you will find it is QUITE different by then— and you will still be in the return window if you find you still don't like it.

I think you will be in for quite a surprise in 10 days. But YMMV-
Streaming from Roon to DMP-A6 -> AudioQuest Carbon USB -> Yggdrasil+ GS2 -> PYST Snake Oil balanced -> Freya+ -> PYST Snake Oil balanced -> Aegir x2 -> AudioQuest CV-8 -> Zu Audio Dirty Weekend II to be more specific. Moved the Bifrost 2/64 back to my desktop setup and have that connected to my Lyr+. My understanding is that the GS2 needs time to break in/warm up/acclimate. Not concerned. I was just sharing impressions over time as it acclimates like others have done in this thread.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #11,826 of 12,305
Streaming from Roon to DMP-A6 -> AudioQuest Carbon USB -> Yggdrasil+ GS2 -> PYST Snake Oil balanced -> Freya+ -> PYST Snake Oil balanced -> Aegir x2 -> AudioQuest CV-8 -> Zu Audio Dirty Weekend II to be more specific. Moved the Bifrost 2/64 back to my desktop setup and have that connected to my Lyr+. My understanding is that the GS2 needs time to break in/warm up/acclimate. Not concerned. I was just sharing impressions over time as it acclimates like others have done in this thread.
This is a killer chain- please do share your eventual review- I am currently planning on adding Freya+ and Aegir 2 x2 (after Aegir 2 appears and gets a few reviews - still noodling on that one, lots of possibilities out there for speaker amps) to drive Susvara HPs (60 ohm impedance, 83 dB sensitivity) so interested to hear your finding after everything settles. I think you will be very happy.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #11,827 of 12,305
This is a killer chain- please do share your eventual review- I am currently planning on adding Freya+ and Aegir 2 x2 (after Aegir 2 appears and gets a few reviews - still noodling on that one, lots of possibilities out there for speaker amps) to drive Susvara HPs (60 ohm impedance, 83 dB sensitivity) so interested to hear your finding after everything settles. I think you will be very happy.

You need 2 monobloc amps to drive headphones?!?

Any of Schiit many headphone amps will not do?

Just curious as I rarely listen to headphones and mine (original Joseph Grado HP 1000) can be driven by anything.

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #11,828 of 12,305

Just curious as I rarely listen to headphones and mine (original Joseph Grado HP 1000) can be driven by anything.
Susvaras are a special exception for HPs due to their low sensitivity- search the Susvara thread
Here. A good number of users find speaker amps do better to enhance its capacity for dynamic imaging soundstage and bass control.

There are some Mjolnit users finding good results also- I have a good Yggdrasil- Burson 3XGT pairing but soundstage width and depth remains limited. Imaging accuracy is good.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #11,829 of 12,305
GS2 update after 48 hours. Running through my personal demo tracks (Norah Jones, Shawn Colvin, Fleetwood Mac, Lumineers, KOL, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, DMB, and more. Not necessarily "audiophile test tracks", just tracks I'm familiar with for one reason or another). Imaging, separation, bass, and top end are dramatically improved over the Bifrost 2/64. Still waiting for the mid range to fill in. Stay tuned.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #11,830 of 12,305

You definitely don't "need" speaker amps to drive headphones, but I’m currently using Schiit Tyr monoblocks to drive my headphones and speakers with great results. The Zynsonix adapter box I use lets me switch between speaker and headphone output. It's also safer than just hooking up my headphones directly to the amps since the adapter presents as an 8 ohm load, its attenuated output also lets me use more sensitive headphones through it. Sure a headphone amp would probably do great here, but that would require I have two separate systems/amps for my speakers and headphones. Also certain headphones do appreciate the power overhead like the Susvara and Modhouse Argons. IMO those headphones sound better through the Tyrs and even my previous Aegir monoblocks than they ever sounded through my Jotunheim 2. But As always YMMV, and power isn't everything, speaker amps just happen to fit my specific use-case the best.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #11,831 of 12,305
GS2 update after 96 hours. We're home.

1706488669548.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #11,832 of 12,305
I’m currently using Schiit Tyr monoblocks to drive my headphones and speakers with great results. I use it through a zynsonix adapter box with a switch on the front that lets me switch between speaker output and headphone output. Sure a headphone amp would probably do great here, but that would require I have two separate systems for my speakers and headphones. Also certain headphones do appreciate the power overhead like the susvara and modhouse argons that imo just sound better through the Tyrs and even my previous Aegir monoblocks than it ever sounded from my Jotunheim 2. It really depends on the headphone though and synergy with the rest of the system. Speaker amps are usually not necessary, but if you have a bunch of hard to drive stuff in your collection then it may be worth it.
Hi @EstrangedBaron - pls share your user impressions of this set-up with Susvara, ie soundstage, imaging, dynamics, timbre? It would be greatly appreciated by those of us considering a similar path. I assume your chain is as described in your signature.

BTW I believe your impression would be most welcome over on the Susvara thread
here.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #11,833 of 12,305
Just to reverberate, AES is the best input on the Yggy.

USB vs AES comparison done via my Auralic Aries G2.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #11,834 of 12,305

Based on my experience this is the conclusion I came to as well after several comparisons but YMMV.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #11,835 of 12,305

IME, the input quality of the input interface 100% depends on the streamer/DDC used. Auralic streamer itself provides the best sound through the AES and not Yggy’s best input is AES. In my case, USB out from my DAP is equally as good as SPDIF to my Yggy

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back