Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #11,806 of 12,283
For me, delivering AIFF files from my modded Mac Mini, Dante (Ethernet - AES) is more transparent than Unison USB. Keep in mind that it’s not just which Yggy input you’re using. File delivery includes the sending component, the cabling, and the receiver. Sounds like you have been real happy with your Gustard - AES.

Having said that, I find Unison to be a huge improvement over Schiit’s previous USB implementations. Plus, it’s easy.
I’ve been using the Unison USB because that’s the default (and only) output from my Sonore Optical Rendu via which I stream Roon/Qobuz. A while ago though, I used my Hiby R8 coax output into Yggy+ OG and I thought that the treble detail retrieval was better than the USB from the Sonore. @GoldenOne found the PiAES2 ($300 now) output had the least jitter of a number of DDCs. A lot of folks find Sq is better if you can keep a USB connection out of the chain.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #11,807 of 12,283
I’ve been using the Unison USB because that’s the default (and only) output from my Sonore Optical Rendu via which I stream Roon/Qobuz. A while ago though, I used my Hiby R8 coax output into Yggy+ OG and I thought that the treble detail retrieval was better than the USB from the Sonore. @GoldenOne found the PiAES2 ($300 now) output had the least jitter of a number of DDCs. A lot of folks find Sq is better if you can keep a USB connection out of the chain.

I've spent years trying various USB implementations, and decrapifiers and other gadgets designed to "fix" USB. Around eight years ago I also began playing with Raspberry Pi hats that bypassed USB completely. I now run a Pi2AES off a Pi 4, with the 5v PSU mod. Over those eight years up to today, I have yet to hear a USB implementation that bests a good Pi hat. I haven't heard the May or Spring 3 which are supposed to have incredible USB implementations, but for Unison I still find the Pi2AES to be superior. In fact I didn't even bother to pay the $100 upcharge for the Unison card on the GS2 because I'm using AES from my Pi2AES and have no intention of going back to USB.

That is unless Schiit provides a USB upgrade card for the Yggy that includes the Gadget/Processor tech that's going to be in the Gungnir 2. Then I'd get one for the additional functionality. But for straight data connection to the DAC, SPDIF/AES has yet to be beat for me.

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #11,808 of 12,283
With Yggdrasil MIB and a clean streamer with excellent clocks, the difference between the inputs becomes moot IME. I just use USB and have seriously tried A/Bing against coax, glass toslink and I seriously don’t find noticeable differences. I don’t miss a single beat using USB with the MIB

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #11,809 of 12,283
With Yggdrasil MIB and a clean streamer with excellent clocks, the difference between the inputs becomes moot IME. I just use USB and have seriously tried A/Bing against coax, glass toslink and I seriously don’t find noticeable differences. I don’t miss a single beat using USB with the MIB
Depending on the rest of your system, Unison might be lending a pleasing tinge of flavoring in that to my ears it leans slightly warm. Given how neutral MIB is meant to be, that could be welcome.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #11,812 of 12,283
Did someone compare Yggy+GS2 Gen5 USB vs Unison USB?
@raindownthunda Which USB did you get with your GS2?
Thx
Unison USB

Thanks for the suggestions. I am enjoying the GS2 detail a lot but feel like I wouldn't mind losing some of that to gain more tonal density. I may look out for a LiM card if anyone has one for sale to do some comparisons.

I think you're right... I'm using the Atrium Closed and Verite Closed. It's interesting, with the BF2/64 -> DSHA-3FN, my AC was too thick and syrupy and the VC was total perfection. Now, with the GS2 -> DSHA-3FN, the AC sounds much more balanced/more enjoyable (treble is still a little too much) and the VC has become far too lean. So I lost the synergy with one ZMF but gained it (mostly) with another!

Simiarly, I've noticed tube rolls in my OTL that sounded well-balanced are also noticeably leaner, while I'm getting a more balanced sound by rolling in warmer tubes. However even with the warmer tubes, I still feel like I'm missing a bit of that tonal density I loved with the BF2/64.

Good to know! I've read about the extended warm up time but figured by day 5 I'd be pretty much there given the used A1 cards in the GS2. I'll take your advice and keep on listening/letting it burn-in for a good while. One of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the Yggy+ GS2 was the upgrade potential. Don't get me wrong - It's not like the GS2 sounds "bad" right now! It's just not to my personal taste of that thicker/denser sound. I'll see how much it changes in the next month first. If it doesn't get to where I want it to be, I'll look into either a LiM/MiB card to see if that's a better fit for my preferences/system synergy.

Is Schiit definitely not selling OG/A2 upgrade cards?
Quoting myself here... but I felt like I owed an update on the Yggy+ GS2. The last 48 hours I've noticed a substantial improvement in sound. Just under a full week since I've had GS2 powered on. Since then, rather than just leaving it on, I've made sure to have music playing non-stop: Roon library on shuffle -> constantly cycling through bit/sample rates.

The treble, while still very present isn't annoying like it was a few days ago. I'm also not feeling the fatigue after several hours of straight listening, even with my leanest sounding gear. It kind of reminds me of a memory foam mattress that is slowly opening up. While still very incisive and engaging, there is now a sense of smoothness and sweetness that is very pleasant. It feels like those micro-detail packets have more space to expand, landing gracefully against the sonic canvas rendering beautiful imagery... whereas a few days ago it felt like they were piercing straight through the canvas, shredding it like a barrage of bullets from a machine gun. The bass presence has started to show up a bit more as well, and is very enjoyable now. The synergy with the Verite Closed + DSHA-3FN has started to return. A few days ago I couldn't bear to keep the headphones on my head. I'm confident it's not just brain burn in or confirmation bias (I was skeptical it would change this much). With my OTL amp, the tonality and spaciousness sounds even more awesome. I've never had more fun listening to live recordings, as well as genres I don't typically spend a lot of time with (jazz/classical).

As it's opened up I do feel like there's a bit more thickness/weight in the mids/lows than I was noticing a few days ago... to the point where I'm really enjoying it. It's still nowhere near BF2/64 levels. I'm starting to think maybe that's not such a bad thing? The “slam” is also starting to show up - but rather than being hit in the ears with a blunt, heavy object (BF2), it feels more nuanced and "mature". The bass in the GS2 is also showing up more. Again, still not BF2/64 levels where it's omnipresent and the first thing you notice. The difference between the BF2/64 is that the GS2 doesn't force it. It shows up only when the recording calls for it. Listening to a lot of different genres (hip hop/electronic/instrumental rock/etc) and it's all got the right amount of bass to be thoroughly enjoyable. I think there is some ”brain burn in” where what I’m starting to appreciate with the GS2 is different than the BF2/64, which had that guilty pleasure thundering bass-overdose - especially with the Atrium Closed and stock lambskin pads.

All this to say, maybe I am a fan of more "neutral" (colder???) DAC???? I've always thought I've preferred a warm/thick chain but man this sounds really good! Despite still being leaner with treble-focused dynamics, it's a very musical and enjoyable sound. I appreciate everyone who replied and told me to give it some more time. I am a burn-in believer (owning several new ZMF headphones made me one), but I had no idea a DAC could change so much over an extended period of time as well. Really looking forward to giving it the full 4+ weeks to see how things continue to change! I do feel like a little more of that density would be welcome to my tastes. From what I'm reading, the it sounds like the MIB may be worth following. Regardless, I am starting to feel like the GS2 is really something special and can see why so many people enjoy the A1 sound.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #11,813 of 12,283
Did someone compare Yggy+GS2 Gen5 USB vs Unison USB?
@raindownthunda Which USB did you get with your GS2?
Thx
Here’s a brief summary of my USB experience.

I started fiddling with computer based audio in 2012. I delivered digital files via USB to a variety of dacs; Dacmagic, OG Bifrost, Benchmark come to mind. Though clear and detailed, I found all to be a flat and lifeless presentation compared to the same files from cd played on my Rega Apollo. Through reading and friends at our Seattle meets, I tried several usb implementations to “repair” usb file delivery. Surprisingly, these boxes, from Musical Fidelity, Audiophillia, and bel canto, did help.

In 2015, I purchased Yggy (A), which for the first time brought true timbre, touch, and vitality to digital for me. However, it still required the bel canto interface to avoid the lack of vitality described above. This was the case whether using Schiit’s Gen 3 or Gen 5 USB, carrying over to my 2018 Yggy (B).

I ended up abandoning usb completely and never looked back. However, I did upgrade my Yggy to Unison, for resale value and extended warranty, and can say that it is an absolute upgrade over Schiit’s previous USBs. Especially the softer micro details and true timbre really alive and present when surrounded by louder sounds.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #11,814 of 12,283
I got back from the Schittr with my new Yggdrasil+ OG that is replacing my Biforst 2/64. Have about 30 minutes of listening using Quboz and Tidal and I am very happy with the Yggy+ OG in my system. The Bifrost 2/64 sounded good but now the same songs just sound great with more tone and as if I am sitting in front of the singers. I have read it needs some time to burn in but I am very happy with what I am hearing.
Yggy+OG.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #11,815 of 12,283

Not from my experience. The USB out of my SP2000 is just as good as any input in my Yggy+ MIB. It's more about the quality of your source and not the input interface itself. It's just that there are far more poor source that has USB out (a laptop for example) than dedicated streamers or DDC with SPDIF out. Even among DDC, their USB out is probably worse than their SPDIF out, but that's not the case that USB Unison being worse than SPDIF.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #11,817 of 12,283
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #11,818 of 12,283
GS2 just arrived. Warming up. Will listen after work.

IMG_2468.jpeg

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #11,820 of 12,283
Unison USB

Quoting myself here... but I felt like I owed an update on the Yggy+ GS2. The last 48 hours I've noticed a substantial improvement in sound. Just under a full week since I've had GS2 powered on. Since then, rather than just leaving it on, I've made sure to have music playing non-stop: Roon library on shuffle -> constantly cycling through bit/sample rates.

The treble, while still very present isn't annoying like it was a few days ago. I'm also not feeling the fatigue after several hours of straight listening, even with my leanest sounding gear. It kind of reminds me of a memory foam mattress that is slowly opening up. While still very incisive and engaging, there is now a sense of smoothness and sweetness that is very pleasant. It feels like those micro-detail packets have more space to expand, landing gracefully against the sonic canvas rendering beautiful imagery... whereas a few days ago it felt like they were piercing straight through the canvas, shredding it like a barrage of bullets from a machine gun. The bass presence has started to show up a bit more as well, and is very enjoyable now. The synergy with the Verite Closed + DSHA-3FN has started to return. A few days ago I couldn't bear to keep the headphones on my head. I'm confident it's not just brain burn in or confirmation bias (I was skeptical it would change this much). With my OTL amp, the tonality and spaciousness sounds even more awesome. I've never had more fun listening to live recordings, as well as genres I don't typically spend a lot of time with (jazz/classical).

As it's opened up I do feel like there's a bit more thickness/weight in the mids/lows than I was noticing a few days ago... to the point where I'm really enjoying it. It's still nowhere near BF2/64 levels. I'm starting to think maybe that's not such a bad thing? The “slam” is also starting to show up - but rather than being hit in the ears with a blunt, heavy object (BF2), it feels more nuanced and "mature". The bass in the GS2 is also showing up more. Again, still not BF2/64 levels where it's omnipresent and the first thing you notice. The difference between the BF2/64 is that the GS2 doesn't force it. It shows up only when the recording calls for it. Listening to a lot of different genres (hip hop/electronic/instrumental rock/etc) and it's all got the right amount of bass to be thoroughly enjoyable. I think there is some ”brain burn in” where what I’m starting to appreciate with the GS2 is different than the BF2/64, which had that guilty pleasure thundering bass-overdose - especially with the Atrium Closed and stock lambskin pads.

All this to say, maybe I am a fan of more "neutral" (colder???) DAC???? I've always thought I've preferred a warm/thick chain but man this sounds really good! Despite still being leaner with treble-focused dynamics, it's a very musical and enjoyable sound. I appreciate everyone who replied and told me to give it some more time. I am a burn-in believer (owning several new ZMF headphones made me one), but I had no idea a DAC could change so much over an extended period of time as well. Really looking forward to giving it the full 4+ weeks to see how things continue to change! I do feel like a little more of that density would be welcome to my tastes. From what I'm reading, the it sounds like the MIB may be worth following. Regardless, I am starting to feel like the GS2 is really something special and can see why so many people enjoy the A1 sound.
One other thing though you have probably read it elsewhere - after you get thru burn-in (~200 hours of playing music), Do -leave it on- ie don’t switch it off every time you stop listening . Yggy likes to stay warmed up. If you shut it off for an extended time, it will take 2-3 days to get back to stable state (IMHO YMMV). I now only shut mine down when I am going to be away for weeks, and not always even then (you leave your frigerator on do you not- keeping your Yggy on will keep the music ‘cool’ 😎)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back