Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 18, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #11,491 of 12,398
So i been OCDing about dust getting into unused rca and xlr jacks on the Yggy
Amazon sells some dust caps but wanted to check if anyone tried to dust proof unused ports and may be have a better suggestion
Have you already tried Compressed air? Are you experiencing a problem due to dust?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #11,493 of 12,398
That will definitely do it once dust already gets in. but I guess i was looking more for a preventive solution that’s kind of set and forget
If dust caps are it, then i will get those
I’ve used them for years on unused jacks, especially preamps with lots of ins n’ outs. They’re fine but not a substitute for periodically cleaning connections with DeOx.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #11,495 of 12,398
anyone having noticed the following?

when i stream (Qobuz HD) 24/192 the yggy (og) clicks multiple times like it is changing frequencies multiple times. (a bit odd and unnerving).
when i use local materials it just clicks in the start.

sources PC with audirvana OR Mconnect. streamong toHolo audio RED (ethernet) AES/EBU to Yggy.

would be interested to hear other peoples experiences / thoughts

Regards

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #11,496 of 12,398

when i stream (Qobuz HD) 24/192 the yggy (og) clicks multiple times like it is changing frequencies multiple times. (a bit odd and unnerving).

sources PC with audirvana OR Mconnect. streamong toHolo audio RED (ethernet) AES/EBU to Yggy.

Regards
I've also experienced the multiple clicks. It sounds like an internal relay. I'm just assuming it is using different hardware depending on the input and the relay controls it. I haven't looked into it though that is just my suspicion.

Thr yggy doesn't click multiple times throughout the song, it just clicks if the input quality changes. Sometimes it clicks a few times before a youtube video.

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #11,497 of 12,398

Regards
Hmm... I don't experience that with my Yggy LiM (Roon --> Pi2AES --> AES).
This can happen if the signal isn't adequately locked in (i.e., it's dropping out for whatever reason)

Here are the few things I personally would troubleshoot first.
  • Check your cables
    • Be sure you're not using a generic (75 ohm) XLR cable, and swap to a different cable that is known to be 110 Ohm and compatible for digital AES usage.
    • I use a 3' BJC Belden 1800F
    • Swap out the ethernet cord too; just need to remove these as potential variables
  • Reset your gear (power off for a few minutes)
    • Power cycle both the Yggy and the Holo Red
    • I would also do the same with your ethernet switch/router
  • Check for firmware updates
    • Check for any updates for your Holo Red
    • If you haven't already done so, you could try installing the latest firmware revision (the one used in Yggy GS)
      • Less likely to "fix" the issue here, but can be extra piece of mind
If no dice with any of the above, I'd reach out to Schiit support.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #11,498 of 12,398
I've also experienced the multiple clicks. It sounds like an internal relay. I'm just assuming it is using different hardware depending on the input and the relay controls it. I haven't looked into it though that is just my suspicion.

Thr yggy doesn't click multiple times throughout the song, it just clicks if the input quality changes. Sometimes it clicks a few times before a youtube video.
normally it clicks when changing to a different sample rate. but only shortly in the beginning of the song it only happened with qobuz streams
Hmm... I don't experience that with my Yggy LiM (Roon --> Pi2AES --> AES).
This can happen if the signal isn't adequately locked in (i.e., it's dropping out for whatever reason)

Here are the few things I personally would troubleshoot first.
  • Check your cables
    • Be sure you're not using a generic (75 ohm) XLR cable, and swap to a different cable that is known to be 110 Ohm and compatible for digital AES usage.
    • I use a 3' BJC Belden 1800F
    • Swap out the ethernet cord too; just need to remove these as potential variables
  • Reset your gear (power off for a few minutes)
    • Power cycle both the Yggy and the Holo Red
    • I would also do the same with your ethernet switch/router
  • Check for firmware updates
    • Check for any updates for your Holo Red
    • If you haven't already done so, you could try installing the latest firmware revision (the one used in Yggy GS)
      • Less likely to "fix" the issue here, but can be extra piece of mind
If no dice with any of the above, I'd reach out to Schiit support.
Thanks for your reply

yes it s is a 110 Ohms Cable. its Grim audio TPR listed as 110 ohms

already checked and reseated the AES/EBU just incase (it seemed fine)

system works fine on local files it only happened streaming Qobuz Hi-res 192Khz sample rate. (either from the PC using audirvana or direct from the iphone using Mconnect)

it does not do it playing hi res local files. it also only did it at the start of Album while the music was already playing. it seems somehow specifically related to streaming.

also on a trial on audirvana that had some od behaviours yesterday. it would drop the the stream somehow making te RED unusable from JRiver. it was posible to reboot the red from the webpage ( seems like a different issue Tho)

Replaced the router today for a model with more ports. (was already planned arrived today).

I Just checked it still does it on Pink Floyds darkside of the Moon anniversary Edition. but only on the start of the first track.

I don't Think the Yggy can be Firmware upgraded by the User.

regards

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #11,499 of 12,398
I think my Yggdrasil LIM (upgraded from A1) is acting up. I've reached out to Schiit customer service in the past, and they asked for me to ship it in. But then it started working again randomly, so I haven't bothered. Essentially, the sound is intermittently cutting out from my chain.

Beforehand, I did a thorough evaluation of my chain from the computer, to the DDC (AudioGD DI-20HE), to the amps, to the headphones, and even all the cables in between. It became pretty clear that if I kept everything the same, but swapped the Yggy to another DAC, I would have normal sound. Thus, pinpointing it on the Yggy.

The Yggy has always appeared to be getting digital signals in though, the 44 and x1 lights match appropriately when I switch to different Hz. It's just not outputting sound.

Fast forward to the past few days, I start listening to music with my chain including the Yggy, and it's work fine for the first 10-15 minutes, but then starts intermittently cutting out, and then randomly coming back. I don't really have a rhyme or reason for why. The metal chassis is warm, but by no means hot. I keep my Yggy on 24/7 for whatever that's worth.

Anyone experience anything like this with the Yggy or any other Schiit DAC, or really any DAC for that matter?

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #11,500 of 12,398
I think my Yggdrasil LIM (upgraded from A1) is acting up. I've reached out to Schiit customer service in the past, and they asked for me to ship it in. But then it started working again randomly, so I haven't bothered. Essentially, the sound is intermittently cutting out from my chain.

Beforehand, I did a thorough evaluation of my chain from the computer, to the DDC (AudioGD DI-20HE), to the amps, to the headphones, and even all the cables in between. It became pretty clear that if I kept everything the same, but swapped the Yggy to another DAC, I would have normal sound. Thus, pinpointing it on the Yggy.

The Yggy has always appeared to be getting digital signals in though, the 44 and x1 lights match appropriately when I switch to different Hz. It's just not outputting sound.

Fast forward to the past few days, I start listening to music with my chain including the Yggy, and it's work fine for the first 10-15 minutes, but then starts intermittently cutting out, and then randomly coming back. I don't really have a rhyme or reason for why. The metal chassis is warm, but by no means hot. I keep my Yggy on 24/7 for whatever that's worth.

Anyone experience anything like this with the Yggy or any other Schiit DAC, or really any DAC for that matter?
Have you tried the chain without the Audio GD DI-20HE? Simplify the chain to see if the problem persists?
Maybe it is having issues feeding the YGGY but not the other DAC you tried?
Can you measure how "hot" the input to the YGGY is from the Audio GD DI-20HE (depends on which output you are using from the AudioGD DI-20HE)?

But bottom line though, if it is acting up, and it is still in warranty, it may need to go in for a check-up?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #11,501 of 12,398
Have you tried the chain without the Audio GD DI-20HE? Simplify the chain to see if the problem persists?
Maybe it is having issues feeding the YGGY but not the other DAC you tried?
Can you measure how "hot" the input to the YGGY is from the Audio GD DI-20HE (depends on which output you are using from the AudioGD DI-20HE)?

But bottom line though, if it is acting up, and it is still in warranty, it may need to go in for a check-up?
In my prior troubleshooting, I did run my computer USB directly into the Schiit Unison. Still nothing. So didn't seem like the DI-20HE problem. But again that's when the Yggy wouldn't produce any sound at all for days on end. I put it in storage for a couple weeks, brought it back out and it magically works again. It's been running stable up until the past few days. Out of warranty so it would be a huge chunk of change for shipping and repairs, and then I'm not even sure if it's fixable?

Prior to this reply, I was listening to my chain with the Yggy again, no issues, no drop outs. I feel like there's an explanation for this somewhere in the electrical engineering world...

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #11,502 of 12,398

Same thing happened with my gungnir (periodic intermittent sound) till the USB finally stopped working. Havent been able to see if a DDC w/coax will fix my problem or not. I dont even know if its worth getting it fixed tbh given the price of replacement parts and what the gungnir goes for on the used market, might not be the same case for you though.

Anyways not to make this about me - but I've experienced something similar with my schiit dac.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #11,503 of 12,398
In my prior troubleshooting, I did run my computer USB directly into the Schiit Unison. Still nothing. So didn't seem like the DI-20HE problem. But again that's when the Yggy wouldn't produce any sound at all for days on end. I put it in storage for a couple weeks, brought it back out and it magically works again. It's been running stable up until the past few days. Out of warranty so it would be a huge chunk of change for shipping and repairs, and then I'm not even sure if it's fixable?

Prior to this reply, I was listening to my chain with the Yggy again, no issues, no drop outs. I feel like there's an explanation for this somewhere in the electrical engineering world...
You may have said this, but is this happening only on the USB or on all the inputs to the YGGY?
Does wiggling the connections or moving them to a certain bend/position make it happen? Like a failing connection on the board or in the cable?

Also, another thought, how is the thermal management in your audio rack? good air flow? What's the temp in the room?
Is your room dusty? Could it just need cleaning?
Both of the above "could" cause overheating? maybe?

Just grasping at straws now but maybe worth looking into?

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #11,504 of 12,398
Does anyone know if the GEN 5 USB is suposed to take UAC2?

when i connect my Holo REDS USB output. i get music but als o alot of loud clicky sounds.

i cant find any documentation on the shiit site, I think they took it all down when the introduced Unison usb.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #11,505 of 12,398
Does anyone know if the GEN 5 USB is suposed to take UAC2?

when i connect my Holo REDS USB output. i get music but als o alot of loud clicky sounds.

i cant find any documentation on the shiit site, I think they took it all down when the introduced Unison usb.
All of Schiit's products from the last 4-5 years (maybe even longer) are UAC2 compliant. Unison is only UAC2 compatible. Gen 5 is UAC2 compliant and I think backward compatible to UAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back