Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #11,147 of 12,484
Good info for you from the previous posters, and cool that you can try both options. My experience with comparing digital file delivery is to take your time; listen for a week or so to each. Quickie a/b not useful for this.
I agree, take your time and get familiar with your options, especially AFTER the dac has had 'sufficient' settling in time, both electronically and sonically in your head. These sorts of differences are while subtle, once identified are or can be welcomed.

JJ

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #11,148 of 12,484
I was researching about Yggy and reading posts here but not cleared doubts.

I have the BF2 OG... My preferences are rock, metal, D&B and soundtracks mainly (but I listen a bit of all sometimes). Also I am planning to add speakers to my system for gaming and movies sessions. Having the Euforia AE with the Atrium, is it worth to get Yggy LiM over BF2 board upgrade or is recommended to stick with OG in my case?

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #11,149 of 12,484
I was researching about Yggy and reading posts here but not cleared doubts.

I have the BF2 OG... My preferences are rock, metal, D&B and soundtracks mainly (but I listen a bit of all sometimes). Also I am planning to add speakers to my system for gaming and movies sessions. Having the Euforia AE with the Atrium, is it worth to get Yggy LiM over BF2 board upgrade or is recommended to stick with OG in my case?
I don’t have exactly the same situation, but my experience could be helpful: I went from a Gumby to an Yggy A2 and metal was one of the biggest areas of improvement. The impact, texture, grit and just overall intensity of the sound was so much better. Yggy was also better able to resolve difficult passages. Bass is also much deeper and more present, for drum and bass. Your other use cases are probably fine with whichever Bifrost, though I’m no expert on that.

Maybe someone can comment specifically on the LiM version?

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #11,151 of 12,484
Just want to let the Yggdrasil community at large know that my five-year warranty recently expired, 8/23/2022. I'm delighted to report I have had no service issues, and hope/trust it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. When I first purchased the Yggy (8/23/2017), it was returned one month later for a free upgrade to the Analog "B" board (thank you @Jason Stoddard ). So, the Yggdrasil I have in today's terminology is the "OG", minus the Unison USB board, as I have the Gen 5 USB.

Happy listening, everyone. :slight_smile:

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #11,152 of 12,484
OK so, the Yggy I have here is a "OG"/A2 with Unison USB, so I figured this was the best thread for it.

It's been turned on for about 4 hours in total, and only had about 45 mins worth of music play through it, so please take that into account. These are just my very first impressions, and of course, will likely change over the next few days or weeks as it warms up etc...

I'm using it currently with my Boulder 866 as the amp, and my Abyss 1266TC's. I don't have any electrostats with me currently but I am waiting for a pair of Shangri-la Jr's so will be able to report back with other headphones in the future.

My primary comparison is the 866's built in DAC option, which iirc is a AD1855 based DAC. I think it's a very good DAC for a built in option, which usually suck to be honest. Has always struck me as a very neutral dac.

The first thing that struck me was there was more bass energy, in terms of level. I was surprised how much actually. Soundstage seems a bit more spacious also. The very top end is a bit more airy, and there is a bit more sparkle. The Boulders built in DAC seems more neutral, less bass, but a bit more impact and also slightly more detailed.

I'll keep listening over the next while and do some more back and forths.

IMG_2289.JPG

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #11,153 of 12,484
My Yggdrasil bought new in 2017 has never been upgraded nor do I intend to. :) I use a Schiit Eitr with it and there has not been any issues all these years. Amps and headphones have come and gone but Yggdrasil has remain. Here it is in my present setup and unlikely to change again... with the exception of the arrival of a 300b amp next April.

IMG_4871.jpg

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #11,154 of 12,484
I’ve had my Yggdrasil for about a year, currently in the following chain: MBP/HQPlayer, AQ Diamond, Yggy, AQ Earth IC, Burson Soloist GT, Susvara. One tweek that completely blew me away was when I tried upsampling/converting PCM file to DSD in HQPlayer. Soundstage become slightly smaller but imaging became RAZOR SHARP and much more lifelike/organic. Soundstage depth / imaging also improved massively. The improvement is such that I struggle to go back and my appreciation for the Yggys technical capabilities has completely changed. With this said, Yggy doesn’t play DSD so the upsampled file is converted back to PCM. Then the question is, how come there is still such an impact? Has anyone else experienced this?

Settings used in HQPlayer:
HQPlayer, SDM (DSD) mode, 48k x256, adaptive rate:
1x Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-xla
Nx Filter: poly-sinc-gaus-hires-ip
Modulator: ASDM7ECV2

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #11,155 of 12,484
I’ve had my Yggdrasil for about a year, currently in the following chain: MBP/HQPlayer, AQ Diamond, Yggy, AQ Earth IC, Burson Soloist GT, Susvara. One tweek that completely blew me away was when I tried upsampling/converting PCM file to DSD in HQPlayer. Soundstage become slightly smaller but imaging became RAZOR SHARP and much more lifelike/organic. Soundstage depth / imaging also improved massively. The improvement is such that I struggle to go back and my appreciation for the Yggys technical capabilities has completely changed. With this said, Yggy doesn’t play DSD so the upsampled file is converted back to PCM. Then the question is, how come there is still such an impact? Has anyone else experienced this?

Boy am I skeptical lol. What's the sample rate of your source files before converting? Have you compared that to resampling the PCM to whatever the Yggy resamples to?

Maybe the Yggy dithers pleasantly?

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #11,156 of 12,484

I use those same settings for my NOS Holo DACs. However, to get that into the Yggdrasil you need an (inexact) DSD -> 176.4/192k PCM conversion, and then the Yggdrasil upsamples that 2x using its proprietary digital filter before conversion. What will happen after so many DSP stages is hard to say, but one possibility is that you are getting better transient performance (due to the extreme upsampling and the pre-ringing-reducing ip filter) at the expense of something else that is not as important for you.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #11,159 of 12,484
Did you try an Yggy? The transients on my LiM are superb.

I'm not at all saying you made the wrong choice, just curious if you had a chance to try the Yggy. :)
I didn’t, in Brazil where I live is impossible to do that.

I have just decided for GX26 because is cheaper to import and I think the match will be great with my system. But I would love to try LIM someday.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #11,160 of 12,484
On paper which of the Yggy variants would synergise better with a pair of Magnepan LRS' fed by a Hegel H360?

I do like detail retrieval and the LRS are very transparent. From what I read the MIL would be too forward/aggressive and fatiguing in this chain - correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back