Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 28, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #11,011 of 12,304
It is nice to read opinions on all of the new Yggdrasils. When you think about it, what is there, 5 different versions of it?

-OG A1
-OG A1 (with New Firmware - so GS)
-OG A2
-LIM
-MIL

So it can get confusing. And I probably have it all wrong, but I think that's all of the versions.

I was surprised to read a few reviews - including a blind test, where the LIM is preferred.

I have a Yggdrasil upstairs and downstairs, the upstairs is A1 and downstairs is A2, and yes I've compared them and I do prefer A2. However, the upstairs Yggy is on the headphone rig, and I've been thinking LIM might be pretty cool on that Dac. The upstairs rig is USB and down here - I feed it with a Lynx Soundcard AES. No plans to change that.

But the upstairs Yggy, I could see myself sending it in for LIM and Unison USB. We'll see.

As for someone telling us opinions on gear, I just by default put an IMO along with it. I'm glad people post gear impressions, in fact, I wish there were more of them on these threads. Mostly, we have to wade through posts such as this one that I've put together right now :) :beerchug:

May 28, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #11,012 of 12,304
I think you should be adding some "IMO's" in there because your feedback, even though it's too early anyway, just doesn't jibe with either the general or the professional reviews of the LiM, and that includes the guys at Schiit that make these things and thus have a vested interest in selling us the more expensive versions of the Yggy. One of them does prefer the MiL, the other the LiM, but no one has ever claimed that any of them are "nowhere near" the others. For that matter, you're the first person I've heard of that prefers the OG to either one of the new versions. Opinions are fine but we need to realize that they are just that and not absolutes when we give them. Each of us has our own criteria in judging audio equipment (not to mention different connected equipment) and it may be quite different from anyone else's. That's why the vast majority of posters here will say, "in my opinion".
Mate, it may be too early and the module is not yet burn in. However I say what I hear and I do that with rother competent equipment. For now the difference is more than noticable. I'll post an update after 1 week. Then we will see. Maybe I will be delighted with LIM. I don't question competence of Mike. Big respect to him. Still each gear needs to blend in the rest of equipment and especially with the room. I have each of the versions at home (A2, LIM and MIL), hence I am able to speak from my own experience. By the way I am not the first person that prefers OG. do your reserach.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #11,013 of 12,304
The only people who say "that's just your opinion, man" are those who disagree with the opinion. Nobody is ever like "totally! But hey, point out its your opinion."

Every post that isn't a measurement or a photograph is an opinion.

Anyway...

What's stupider - the fact that I couldn't upgrade my A1 to the LIM because it's cheaper and less bits, or the fact that four-figure XLR cables exist?

May 29, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #11,014 of 12,304
These Yggys pretty much follow their bit count. LiM is less resolving, more warm. OG is very dynamic and more detailed. MiL is the most detailed and brighter sounding and the most Delta Sigma sounding. Whatever you prefer should depend on your systems synergy. I like lots of detail and powerful bass so the OG is more my liking but I can appreciate the LiM which is similar enough to the BF2 to say it’s a more relaxing listen and good for more forward systems.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #11,015 of 12,304
FYI, I’m selling my LIM if anyone is interested in acquiring one.

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #11,016 of 12,304
FYI, I’m selling my LIM if anyone is interested in acquiring one.
How old is it, what’s the condition and does schiit allow a warranty transfer?

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #11,017 of 12,304
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #11,018 of 12,304
Hey guys I am interested in buying a Yiggy and I'm trying to learn about it but it seems it is fairly different than other dacs. I noticed thr Yiggy is 20 bit not 24. Does that make a difference or is it something I should be concerned about?

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #11,019 of 12,304
Hey guys I am interested in buying a Yiggy and I'm trying to learn about it but it seems it is fairly different than other dacs. I noticed thr Yiggy is 20 bit not 24. Does that make a difference or is it something I should be concerned about?
On the Schiit product page, under faq, there are a couple of questions answered concerning this. Basically, 24 bit recordings aren't really so. I don't have the technical knowledge why, but recall reading this in more detail in one of the Schiit forums -- basically 20-bit is as good as it gets. And "32-bit" is as real as a Klingon.

With all that said, owning both a Bifrost Multibit, and a Yggy -- when compared to with a delta sigma dac, the difference is huge to me. Much smoother and more revealing. Comparing the Bifrost and Yggy; the difference is more subtle to me, but I think the Yggy is even more natural and the sound stage is wider.

Both Multibit dacs are really nice and in my mind well worth it. Either is highly recommended.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #11,020 of 12,304
no need to count bits. you've go to audition it in your own room and system. there are 3 different versions of it and the do sound different.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #11,021 of 12,304
no need to count bits. you've go to audition it in your own room and system. there are 3 different versions of it and the do sound different.
Auditioning isn't an option unfortunately. Everything I've ever bought has been based off of lots of reviews and asking lots of questions. From what I have read so far the og seems like it would be the best choice for me.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #11,022 of 12,304
Auditioning isn't an option unfortunately. Everything I've ever bought has been based off of lots of reviews and asking lots of questions. From what I have read so far the og seems like it would be the best choice for me.

It's a very safe purchase imo. In the last 5 years, the dac is the only item I haven't changed and it's a Yggdrasil.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #11,023 of 12,304
It's a very safe purchase imo. In the last 5 years, the dac is the only item I haven't changed and it's a Yggdrasil.
From everything I have read it seems like it would be a keeper.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #11,024 of 12,304
From everything I have read it seems like it would be a keeper.

In the last 5 years, it did not develop any problems. So I never have to use the 5 years warranty. My Yggdrasil have been left on all the time during that time, save for a few weeks when I went on holidays. :relaxed:

SQ wise, I like it almost as much as my Rega RP8 with Apheta mc cartridge with Avid Pellar phono.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #11,025 of 12,304
In the last 5 years, it did not develop any problems. So I never have to use the 5 years warranty. My Yggdrasil have been left on all the time during that time, save for a few weeks when I went on holidays. :relaxed:

SQ wise, I like it almost as much as my Rega RP8 with Apheta mc cartridge with Avid Pellar phono.
I will probably go with the Yiggy on my next purchase. I have a wa22, Soloist GT, Verite Closed, and lcd x but I am using my ibasso dx300 as dac. It sounds great but I know there is more to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back