Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #9,076 of 12,400
Got the notice to send my Yggy1 in on August 22nd.

My Yggy1 arrived at Schiit Audio on August 29th.

Today, September 5th, I have received Schiit/Fedex notifications indicating that my Yggy2 is on its way back... The update took exactly one week (which is one week shorter than I was initially led to expect -- so It does seem as if the pace of things have picked up quite dramatically lately at Schiit...)

ETA is Wednesday September 12th. I'm of course impatient to make the acquaintance of my "new" and hopefully "improved" Yggy.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #9,077 of 12,400
ETA is Wednesday September 12th. I'm of course impatient to make the acquaintance of my "new" and hopefully "improved" Yggy.
Be patient, it takes its sweet time to get to its best performance. I kept mine on for a week without listening to it before I took the first listen.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #9,078 of 12,400
I was expecting a few months more wait but I also was surprised by an email today that I can send it in for upgrade.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #9,079 of 12,400
I also got my upgrade RMA notification. Just finished boxing it up.

I have a quick question for those who have done the upgrade from Gen 3 to Gen 5 USB. Did you touch your windows driver (the USB Gen 3 one you would have installed when you first got Yggy) after you got it back with the Gen 5 card? I do not see any new or updated drivers on the Schiit site so I figure either the Gen 3 driver still works for Gen 5, or the new Gen 5 board has this loaded on the card and "self-installs" a new Gen 5 driver when Windows detects it.

I'll find out for myself when it comes back I suppose, but I like to be prepared.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #9,080 of 12,400
Be patient, it takes its sweet time to get to its best performance. I kept mine on for a week without listening to it before I took the first listen.
Well noted... Thanks for the reminder... However, this is something I now already expect as a matter of routine..., as most people who are familiar with the Yggy do... I seem to have read here or somewhere that the Yggy2 takes relatively less time (than the Yggy1) to warm up to its best, and I am hoping that would prove to be true...

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #9,081 of 12,400
Well noted... Thanks for the reminder... However, this is something I now already expect as a matter of routine..., as most people who are familiar with the Yggy do... I seem to have read here or somewhere that the Yggy2 takes relatively less time (than the Yggy1) to warm up to its best, and I am hoping that would prove to be true...

To perform at its top level, I found the new YggyB to need at least 500 hrs, similar to what YggyA needed. We're away from home sometimes 2-4 weeks at a time, and I leave it on (into a UPS) all the time.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #9,082 of 12,400
To perform at its top level, I found the new YggyB to need at least 500 hrs, similar to what YggyA needed. We're away from home sometimes 2-4 weeks at a time, and I leave it on (into a UPS) all the time.

So I guess the report about the YggyB needing relatively less warm-up time was misleading? I wish I could recall where I saw that bit of news... Not that it would make any earth-shattering difference. I am already familiar with YGGY A's preferences, and was used to leaving it on all the time, so I guess my handling of Yggy B would be the same, with no new learning curves...

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #9,083 of 12,400
In my case my upgraded JggyB took well over 1Khrs (like 12-1300+) to fully stabilize at its peak and my Jggy had many, many K's of hrs before upgrading.
Also it never sounded like a$$ even when it was 1st turned on.

JJ

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #9,084 of 12,400
So I guess the report about the YggyB needing relatively less warm-up time was misleading? .......

Very misleading. A number of folks swear by the notion that Yggy A or B takes hundreds of hours to sound best, without regard for how terrific it sounds - IMO - when it's ice cold. Point being and again IMO the delta between it's optimum sound when left on at whatever temperature and for however long is only marginally better than its sound when left off at whatever temperature and for however long.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #9,085 of 12,400
I have a quick question for those who have done the upgrade from Gen 3 to Gen 5 USB. Did you touch your windows driver (the USB Gen 3 one you would have installed when you first got Yggy) after you got it back with the Gen 5 card?
Gen 5 uses the same driver. If you already have it installed, you'll be good with the upgraded unit.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #9,086 of 12,400
In my case my upgraded JggyB took well over 1Khrs (like 12-1300+) to fully stabilize at its peak and my Jggy had many, many K's of hrs before upgrading.
Also it never sounded like a$$ even when it was 1st turned on.

JJ

Agreed. Cold Yggys don't sound like a$$; they sound like a "good" $200 dac. :)
IMO YMWV

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #9,087 of 12,400
I'm not sure about the Yggy A2 on achieving full performance at 1000hrs being warmed up. For me it took 7 days.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #9,088 of 12,400
never mind. I'm tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back