Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #8,941 of 12,283
Let me second the experience that initially it takes weeks to fully settle in and after being on for months it still takes several days to return to peak SQ after cooling down.
And again my understanding is it ISN'T just about thermal equilibrium, as there are other factors at play many of which have been documented (see atomicbob's jitter graphs) but thus far there is no definitive explanation as to why it takes so long, only conjecture.

Additionally it seems important to listen continuously for an extended period of time to really be able to hear these subtle yet so rewarding and sought after acoustic attributes.
So leave your headphones on and listen to your favorite album from start to finish, continuously, then select a second album and listen for even further nuances and refinements to the sound.

JJ

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #8,942 of 12,283
The point, at least my point, is that due to your associated equipment I doubt that you will ever hear that improvement. I can't say if it's due to the quality of your equipment.....

My associated equipment - Musical Fidelity M6si, Oppo UDP-205, Golden Ear Triton Reference - is commensurate with the Yggdrasil. My room (listening environment) is also rather decent.

I'll consider the lack of my discerning a difference between a cold and warm Yggdrasil to the fact that my 55 year old ears have been exposed to a lot of loud, live music and other sounds over the years.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #8,943 of 12,283
My slightly different point of view. Cold the yggdrasil A2 sounds very good to my ears. I'd rather listen to a cold ygg A2 than many thermally equilibrated delta-sigma DACs. When powered on for greater than 100 hrs my perception of the ygg A2 is that of an auto-focusing SLR that has been hunting ever so slightly for optimum focus, during which time very good images might be captured. When it finally locks to optimum focus the image is especially clear. That is analogous to my auditory experience with multi-bits at thermal equilibrium. This change isn't as large as often described, but noticeable. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying any multi-bit or R2R DAC that has been off for awhile during the warmup time.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #8,944 of 12,283
My associated equipment - Musical Fidelity M6si, Oppo UDP-205, Golden Ear Triton Reference - is commensurate with the Yggdrasil. My room (listening environment) is also rather decent.

I'll consider the lack of my discerning a difference between a cold and warm Yggdrasil to the fact that my 55 year old ears have been exposed to a lot of loud, live music and other sounds over the years.

I don't know, mine have been exposed to guns, missiles, small arms, and various machinery for decades as well, though I have attempted to wear hearing protection as much as possible. I still test well, but I do suffer from tinnitus, though Lipo-Flavonoid usually keeps it under control. I have not kept up with more modren gear, so I don't know how transparent yours is. Unfortunately I don't believe that price and transparency are always equally yoked, which is in now way to suggest that such is the case with your gear. Anyway, I am sorry that you are unable to get as much out of your Yggdrasil as do others. You know just the other day I figured out that my friend who I trusted to listen to my interconnects had chosen a pretty poor sounding set. The timbre was off, I suspected it was my speakers as I was more familiar with the rest of my system. Then I got an old pair of Thiel 7's and it was still off, so I revisited my interconnects myself this time, and therein lied my problem. I just made up some promising interconnects yesterday, they are burning in right now, when I get home I ought to know if they are good or not. Many on here have touted them, they use Duelund wires and reasonably inexpensive connectors. Your issues could be your interconnects. If these turn out to sound as good as others have claimed, I'd be happy to make you a complete set to try out. If you like them, I would only charge my cost. I've been burned before doing such, but they are pretty inexpensive so it's not going to kill me. Some even use a slightly heavier gage from speaker wires, but with my inefficient speakers I use Goertz MI3 cables.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #8,945 of 12,283
My slightly different point of view. Cold the yggdrasil A2 sounds very good to my ears. I'd rather listen to a cold ygg A2 than many thermally equilibrated delta-sigma DACs. When powered on for greater than 100 hrs my perception of the ygg A2 is that of an auto-focusing SLR that has been hunting ever so slightly for optimum focus, during which time very good images might be captured. When it finally locks to optimum focus the image is especially clear. That is analogous to my auditory experience with multi-bits at thermal equilibrium. This change isn't as large as often described, but noticeable. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying any multi-bit or R2R DAC that has been off for awhile during the warmup time.

I'd say that that was well stated.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #8,946 of 12,283
I don't know, mine have been exposed to guns, missiles, small arms, and various machinery for decades as well, though I have attempted to wear hearing protection as much as possible. I still test well, but I do suffer from tinnitus, though Lipo-Flavonoid usually keeps it under control. I have not kept up with more modren gear, so I don't know how transparent yours is. Unfortunately I don't believe that price and transparency are always equally yoked, which is in now way to suggest that such is the case with your gear. Anyway, I am sorry that you are unable to get as much out of your Yggdrasil as do others. You know just the other day I figured out that my friend who I trusted to listen to my interconnects had chosen a pretty poor sounding set. The timbre was off, I suspected it was my speakers as I was more familiar with the rest of my system. Then I got an old pair of Thiel 7's and it was still off, so I revisited my interconnects myself this time, and therein lied my problem. I just made up some promising interconnects yesterday, they are burning in right now, when I get home I ought to know if they are good or not. Many on here have touted them, they use Duelund wires and reasonably inexpensive connectors. Your issues could be your interconnects. If these turn out to sound as good as others have claimed, I'd be happy to make you a complete set to try out. If you like them, I would only charge my cost. I've been burned before doing such, but they are pretty inexpensive so it's not going to kill me. Some even use a slightly heavier gage from speaker wires, but with my inefficient speakers I use Goertz MI3 cables.

I appreciate your offer to provide me with interconnects. Also nice of you to be apologetic over the fact that I may not be getting as much out of my Yggdrasil as do others. Suffice it to say I've listened to many other systems in my day, the most expensive of which consisted of a pair of Alta Statement tower speakers at 200K a pair and comparable electronics, and I know I'm not "missing" anything. If you had an opportunity to hear my system, the overall quality and presentation might surprise you. As to my interconnect, etc., this is the type and how it is connected. I use blue jeans cables, and have no desire for more exotic and expensive cabling.

Musical Fidelity M6si > Belden 5T00UP > Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair)
Schiit Yggdrasil > Canare L-4E6S XLR > Musical Fidelity M6si
Oppo UDP-205 > Belden 1694A (Canare RCAPs) > Schiit Yggdrasil
Oppo UDP-205 > ProFlex HDMI > Samsung UN65KS9800
Emotiva ERC-3 > Belden 1800F AES/EBU > Schiit Yggdrasil
Samsung SMT-C5320 > BJC LC-1 with Taversoe RCA > Musical Fidelity M6si
Samsung SMT-C5320 > ProFlex HDMI > Samsung UN65KS9800
Gateway NV79 > Belkin e129760-c usb > Schiit Yggdrasil
Samsung UN65KS9800 > Mitsubishi Eska POF > Schiit Yggdrasil
Dedicated 20A Breaker > Emotiva CMX-2 > Panamax MR4300 and Emotiva CMX-6
Generic Auralux foam acoustic paneling, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20 A/V cabinet, AKG K240 Headphones

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,947 of 12,283
Additionally it seems important to listen continuously for an extended period of time to really be able to hear these subtle yet so rewarding and sought after acoustic attributes.
So leave your headphones on and listen to your favorite album from start to finish, continuously, then select a second album and listen for even further nuances and refinements to the sound.

JJ
These are the only kind of impressions I trust anymore when I am evaluating my own gear. I have found that short-term comparisons have no consistency, the brain is just doing too much to color perception. However, when I listen to a setup for a long time, in some cases years, without changing anything at all and then suddenly change something out the differences positively jump out at me against the stable long-term comparative memory I have of what the setup *should* sound like. These are the impressions that don't betray me and that I have come to trust.

This is why I trust my ears when they say that my cold Yggy sounds disappointing. That setup has not been touched in a long time and I know exactly what to expect from it. The fun part, for me, is that moment when it will "snap back" to sounding like I expect.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #8,948 of 12,283
I appreciate your offer to provide me with interconnects. Also nice of you to be apologetic over the fact that I may not be getting as much out of my Yggdrasil as do others. Suffice it to say I've listened to many other systems in my day, the most expensive of which consisted of a pair of Alta Statement tower speakers at 200K a pair and comparable electronics, and I know I'm not "missing" anything. If you had an opportunity to hear my system, the overall quality and presentation might surprise you. As to my interconnect, etc., this is the type and how it is connected. I use blue jeans cables, and have no desire for more exotic and expensive cabling.

Generic Auralux foam acoustic paneling, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20 A/V cabinet, AKG K240 Headphones

The Duelunds are hardly expensive, I am paying retail, and a set of XLR's would cost me just over $50. I have a BJC digital IC, so I really can't speak to them. AKG, I always thought was supposed to be pretty good sounding, though I don't believe that I have ever heard them. You have little to lose trying the Duelunds, assuming that they do sound as good as folks say. I was using Cardas Golden Presence, and while I haven't determined for sure that the Duelunds will hold their own, if they do, you wouldn't be taking much of a chance trying them.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #8,949 of 12,283
I wont go over ALL the cables and blind ABing I have done thru the years.
Suffice to say...

I find it takes 15-20 minutes after turn on of most of my stuff to get into a good listening "mindset".....

Never leave my stuff on all the time...just turn on the Bimby and an amp that I want to use....and start listening right away and its usually really good to me.

One thing I have experienced is all the stuff I have bought after awhile tends to sound well.....ho-hum....until I added the Bimby into the equation.

Seems with it every time Iisten I smile a lot! I put the DS dac back into play and its well this is good but...somethings missing here.

Being a real objective person this is a struggle for me at times, well it used to be! LOL.

I find myself just wanting to listen and the cables be dammed!! HA!

That said I go between a set of Blue Jeans interconnects and some very expensive solid silver LITZ cables....they both sound well
about the same....but the LITZ silvers really look pretty!!

Alex

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #8,950 of 12,283

The best system you ever listened to was the Ultrasound PA. :ksc75smile:

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #8,951 of 12,283
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #8,952 of 12,283
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #8,953 of 12,283
I missed the WOS as well, too young. I did see my first shows before the Meyer's Subwoofers were added to the PA, they made a world of difference when they came on-line.

Of course, this is all my opinion but the Grateful Dead always had the best sound system and sound engineers relative to other bands. Their gear (instruments, speakers, etc.) was top-notch. This is one aspect why their recorded live music has an obvious and immediate higher quality sound to it. Listen to virtually any soundboard recording of theirs and it is immediately apparent. Folks like Dan Healy, Owsley Stanley, Betty Cantor and so many other of their sound engineers knew what they were doing, to say the least. In the late 80's and early 90's they started using the beam https://www.mickeyhart.net/news/all-about-the-beam-baby-5211 , which produced sub-bass frequencies that one could hear and/or feel even while taking a bathroom break. One reason I have Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers is that there aren't many others capable of reproducing those low frequencies accurately. I didn't want a separate sub woofer either.

And so I stay on point/topic, I think the Yggdrasil produces a very accurate Grateful Dead sound. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #8,954 of 12,283
Of course, this is all my opinion but the Grateful Dead always had the best sound system and sound engineers relative to other bands. Their gear (instruments, speakers, etc.) was top-notch. This is one aspect why their recorded live music has an obvious and immediate higher quality sound to it. Listen to virtually any soundboard recording of theirs and it is immediately apparent. Folks like Dan Healy, Owsley Stanley, Betty Cantor and so many other of their sound engineers knew what they were doing, to say the least. In the late 80's and early 90's they started using the beam https://www.mickeyhart.net/news/all-about-the-beam-baby-5211 , which produced sub-bass frequencies that one could hear and/or feel even while taking a bathroom break. One reason I have Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers is that there aren't many others capable of reproducing those low frequencies accurately. I didn't want a separate sub woofer either.

And so I stay on point/topic, I think the Yggdrasil produces a very accurate Grateful Dead sound. :dt880smile:

These are the exact speakers I am saving for at the moment. I heard a pair of them powered by PS Audio gear at AXPONA and they were very resolving, had excellent FR across the board, and some of the best imaging and musicality of anything I heard at any pricepoint throughout the show. The speakers disappeared from the room and I was left with pinpoint imaging, one of the most important traits of a system to me.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #8,955 of 12,283
All this back and forth is well and good, but let's get to the really important stuff here. :)

Has anyone tried to hook up a Nintendo Switch via USB to a Gen 3 Yggy? I heard that a few Schiit DACs work and am curious. I'm pretty sure it's a no go with the Gen 5 as it's UAC2 exclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back