Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 1, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #8,731 of 12,334
Just playing devils advocate so please don't kill the messenger. Amir is simply acting like any umpire would; he calls it as he sees (or in this case measures) it. Measurement data is objective. The interpretation of the data of course can be subjective. Assuming his measurement data is correct (and I realize he may not be using entirely calibrated equipment), he does have a few interesting points. The main point is that from a measurements perspective, it is claimed that better measurement performance can be had for less money. Secondary points address the interpretation, which call into question measurement data from atomicbob. Most if not all of the oscilloscope images appear to have been taken over a very narrow range of the frequency spectrum. Amir's data supposedly includes a much broader range. IMO, the best and most effective way to dismiss Amir and his measurement findings is to present objective measurements to the contrary and that cast the Yggy in a positive light. I have seen/read of some favorable data as well.

EDIT:

And while measurement data of course may have little or nothing to do with the sound a particular DAC can achieve, sound impressions are largely subjective. So while I believe the Yggy does "sound" spectacular, I haven't listened (compared) to dozens of other DACs to be able to say definitively it is better or worse sounding than something significantly less expensive. I have compared it to my Oppo UDP205 and do prefer the Yggy. But this too is one of Amir's valid points. If one were to subject oneself to a blind test and listen to the Yggy versus other less expensive DACs, would you realistically be able to discern the Yggy and favor it. That said, I realize some of you (given the posts I've read herein this forum) have outright compared Yggy with many other DACs and prefer the Yggy. Frankly, in my case, it was this kind of customer testimonial that caused me to want to purchase the Yggy instead of something else. All good. :)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #8,732 of 12,334
Just playing devils advocate so please don't kill the messenger. Amir is simply acting like any umpire would; he calls it as he sees (or in this case measures) it. Measurement data is objective. The interpretation of the data of course can be subjective. Assuming his measurement data is correct (and I realize he may not be using entirely calibrated equipment), he does have a few interesting points. The main point is that from a measurements perspective, it is claimed that better measurement performance can be had for less money. Secondary points address the interpretation, which call into question measurement data from atomicbob. Most if not all of the oscilloscope images appear to have been taken over a very narrow range of the frequency spectrum. Amir's data supposedly includes a much broader range. IMO, the best and most effective way to dismiss Amir and his measurement findings is to present objective measurements to the contrary and that cast the Yggy in a positive light. I have seen/read of some favorable data as well.

Only if the umpire has an agenda....

:)

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #8,735 of 12,334
And while measurement data of course may have little or nothing to do with the sound a particular DAC can achieve
Then why is there so much attention to the measurements and who makes them? Starting to look like it's about something else and not about how the dac performs.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #8,736 of 12,334
Then why is there so much attention to the measurements and who makes them? Starting to look like it's about something else and not about how the dac performs.

If I've understood Amir (he and I have had a few PMs and I've read much on ASR, but have never posted there), the answers to your questions would be as follows:

Again, according to Amir:

(a) Reason for attention to measurements is that certain claims of Schiit would be falsely advertised, if his measurements are true.
(b) The "something else" is *value*. If his measurement data is correct (not just for Yggy but all other DACs he has measured), the same performance can be had for much less AND presumably the same sound quality.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,738 of 12,334
No need to repeat bullschiit here that has already been refuted many times. If you want to suck Amir's shtick, please go do it elsewhere.

@Ableza

You mentioned in a previous post you would be ignoring my posts. Looks as though you've had a change of heart, and for that I welcome your input.

Given your latest reply (quoted herein), I'll take it to mean that my understanding of Amir is correct, irrespective of whether or not his measurement data is correct.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #8,739 of 12,334
@Ableza

You mentioned in a previous post you would be ignoring my posts. Looks as though you've had a change of heart, and for that I welcome your input.

Given your latest reply to me (quoted herein), I'll take it to mean that my understanding of Amir is correct, irrespective of whether or not his measurement data is correct.
If by that you mean that he is wrong and his motives are suspect, then yes. You were never on my ignore list.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #8,740 of 12,334
If I've understood Amir (he and I have had a few PMs and I've read much on ASR, but have never posted there), the answers to your questions would be as follows:

Again, according to Amir:

(a) Reason for attention to measurements is that certain claims of Schiit would be falsely advertised, if his measurements are true.
(b) The "something else" is *value*. If his measurement data is correct (not just for Yggy but all other DACs he has measured), the same performance can be had for much less AND presumably the same sound quality.

I don't agree at all with the same sound quality. Some things cannot be measured so how in the world can anyone claim it's the same sound quality? some parameters can be the same yes. How can you measure soundstage width/depth for example? I see much kool-aid here.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #8,741 of 12,334
I don't agree at all with the same sound quality. Some things cannot be measured so how in the world can anyone claim it's the same sound quality? some parameters can be the same yes. How can you measure soundstage width/depth for example? I see much kool-aid here.

Soundstage is largely dependent on the interaction between the headphones and the morphology of the person wearing them. It’s measurable, but the measurement would only be relevant for the individual (or dummy head) interacting with headphones. The elements that contribute to soundstage (ITDG, internal reflections, high frequency roll off) are measurable.

The transducer is where these occur and need to be measured, not electronics unless discussing DSP.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #8,742 of 12,334
Seems to be a lot more than just that if you ask me. The tone that comes across each of his "reviews" is that of contempt towards schiit. Some of his his forum members on ASR actually think schiit is scamming people, and Amir laughs and partakes in that kind of discussion. I've stated my feelings before but I'll say again. I now genuinely believe that Amir has some sort of agenda against schiit, for reasons unknown. Nonetheless he clearly has something against Schiit.

My personal theory is he has a intense jealousy of Mike and Jason, perhaps a bitter resentment that his only claim to fame in life was working at Microsoft. Runner up theory is he is actually a loser with nothing better to do but incite drama on the internet. Apparently he's been doing so for over a decade, I heard about his nonsense with HD DVD vs bluray on another forum years ago.

His hatred for Schiit is all to obvious, too bad for the people that fall under the influence of him and his disciples.
As far as why he hates Schiit, hard to say, maybe he is the infamous "Worst. Customer. Ever."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...obable-start-up.701900/page-165#post-10850301

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #8,743 of 12,334
Hey Guys,
I believe you should be able to connect both RCA outputs at the same time but it is a problem in my setup.
With Woo WA5 connected to one RCA and PrimaLuna Dialogue HP INT connected to the other RCA, the volume of the Woo is attenuated.
Even with the PrimaLuna off the volume of the Woo increases by maybe 50% when I disconnect the PL RCA cable.
Tried the same thing with a Threshold preamp in place of the Woo and same result.
So if I want to use the Yggy RCA out I can't have the PL connected to the other RCA even when it is turned off.
It did this before Analog 2 upgrade and still does it now.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #8,744 of 12,334
BTW only your ears can detect absolutely every relevant measurement.
A lot of people with famous ears love the Yggy.
Including me :)
(My ears ain't famous however)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #8,745 of 12,334
Hey Guys,
I believe you should be able to connect both RCA outputs at the same time but it is a problem in my setup.
With Woo WA5 connected to one RCA and PrimaLuna Dialogue HP INT connected to the other RCA, the volume of the Woo is attenuated.
Even with the PrimaLuna off the volume of the Woo increases by maybe 50% when I disconnect the PL RCA cable.
Tried the same thing with a Threshold preamp in place of the Woo and same result.
So if I want to use the Yggy RCA out I can't have the PL connected to the other RCA even when it is turned off.
It did this before Analog 2 upgrade and still does it now.
Any ideas?

Think you need a switcher, kinda spendy for a good one.
http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html

And dude, you have some nice amps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back