Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 27, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,716 of 12,283
What you are saying makes no sense. If somethig preforms an action it is accetable to use it for that purpose.
Some people can stick their foot into their mouth, but that doesn't mean they should. :)

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #8,717 of 12,283
Might still add a path to ground and therefore noise?
I actually experienced a ground issue with both the Gumby and Yggdrasil V2 that involved the RCA unbalanced outputs. Schiit was very helpful in diagnosing the problem which involved my Yammha A-S701 integrated amp.

The Yammha sounded fine as long as it was the only thing connected to the unbalanced outputs. But, when a second device was connected to the other unbalanced output, the Yammha immediately started sounding like ass. It worked fine with the balanced output going to one device and a single unbalanced output going to the Yammha.

This did not efect my admiration for Schiit DAC's as I later upgraded to the Yuggdrasil V2. Yes, it has the same issue with the Yammha.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #8,718 of 12,283
I actually experienced a ground issue with both the Gumby and Yggdrasil V2 that involved the RCA unbalanced outputs. Schiit was very helpful in diagnosing the problem which involved my Yammha A-S701 integrated amp.

The Yammha sounded fine as long as it was the only thing connected to the unbalanced outputs. But, when a second device was connected to the other unbalanced output, the Yammha immediately started sounding like ass. It worked fine with the balanced output going to one device and a single unbalanced output going to the Yammha.

This did not efect my admiration for Schiit DAC's as I later upgraded to the Yuggdrasil V2. Yes, it has the same issue with the Yammha.
That's definitely more likely since all outputs are active at the same time. But presumably only the selected digital input is actually connected to the rest of the DAC, so it's harder to see how digital sources that are not selected could affect the sound. Unless some part of every input is always connected, and ground just seems like a likely candidate for that. But I'm horribly far away from being an EE.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #8,719 of 12,283
That's definitely more likely since all outputs are active at the same time. But presumably only the selected digital input is actually connected to the rest of the DAC, so it's harder to see how digital sources that are not selected could affect the sound. Unless some part of every input is always connected, and ground just seems like a likely candidate for that. But I'm horribly far away from being an EE.
Alcopone is on point on why there is any effect on open inputs. All unbalance inputs have a potential for noise and that includes noise that come from other electronic devices that emit EMF (electromagnetic forces) around the DAC which can find a home in an open circuit. The Yggy is built for sound at a price point. Adding isolation components and complexity adds more cost which is why the unbalance connections are not the best to use with this DAC. Its performance can be further compromised if other devices are connected to its unbalanced input.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #8,721 of 12,283
As far as the switching discussion goes, it does not need to be a point of contention.:anguished:

I bought Yggy with the intention of using all the inputs now or someday.

I have 2 PC's connected, 1 coax to BCN, and 1 toslink, so no ground issues there. And PC's and Audio on different circuits.
And my Denon CD player coax, which has no ground connection to the grid other than common, so no issue there.

It's all silent with everything on. I also use the USB in and single ended out when I move Yggy to the living room speaker setup.

The only thing I don't use yet Is the AES3 but that's coming someday.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #8,722 of 12,283
Alcopone is on point on why there is any effect on open inputs. All unbalance inputs have a potential for noise and that includes noise that come from other electronic devices that emit EMF (electromagnetic forces) around the DAC which can find a home in an open circuit. The Yggy is built for sound at a price point. Adding isolation components and complexity adds more cost which is why the unbalance connections are not the best to use with this DAC. Its performance can be further compromised if other devices are connected to its unbalanced input.

I have definitely had issues with RCA outs and ins on my gear, I cap them with the copper caps when not in use to keep the noise out.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #8,724 of 12,283
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #8,725 of 12,283
Why are Amir's posts on his forum so sensationalist? His latest spiel on the Yggy was painful to read, I got the vibe he's incredibly salty of Schiits success and needs to vent about them online or make himself feel better. He's like a 10 year old. Not only that but I see a huge conflict of issue because he is a dealer for rival dacs. Of course he's going to give competing gear a very negative review and possibly even skew the data.

I just want to know the exact reasons why his measurements don't matchup with anyone else's.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #8,728 of 12,283
You're giving him too much credit. This is not accidental and not the first, second, or twentieth time Amir has played this game on various audio sites.

It's all about ego and brand building.
Seems to be a lot more than just that if you ask me. The tone that comes across each of his "reviews" is that of contempt towards schiit. Some of his his forum members on ASR actually think schiit is scamming people, and Amir laughs and partakes in that kind of discussion. I've stated my feelings before but I'll say again. I now genuinely believe that Amir has some sort of agenda against schiit, for reasons unknown. Nonetheless he clearly has something against Schiit.

My personal theory is he has a intense jealousy of Mike and Jason, perhaps a bitter resentment that his only claim to fame in life was working at Microsoft. Runner up theory is he is actually a loser with nothing better to do but incite drama on the internet. Apparently he's been doing so for over a decade, I heard about his nonsense with HD DVD vs bluray on another forum years ago.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #8,729 of 12,283
Seems to be a lot more than just that if you ask me. The tone that comes across each of his "reviews" is that of contempt towards schiit. Some of his his forum members on ASR actually think schiit is scamming people, and Amir laughs and partakes in that kind of discussion. I've stated my feelings before but I'll say again. I now genuinely believe that Amir has some sort of agenda against schiit, for reasons unknown. Nonetheless he clearly has something against Schiit.

My personal theory is he has a intense jealousy of Mike and Jason, perhaps a bitter resentment that his only claim to fame in life was working at Microsoft. Runner up theory is he is actually a loser with nothing better to do but incite drama on the internet. Apparently he's been doing so for over a decade, I heard about his nonsense with HD DVD vs bluray on another forum years ago.

Everything you mention is part of stoking his ego. He simply has to be "the smartest person in the room" and if he damages another person or company to achieve that, so be it. Going after Schiit is part of it - you get a lot more attention by attacking a popular brand than by vilifying a brand few know about.

I've been through this first hand with him on several sites. Find the post I made when he first showed up here - it's a pretty accurate prediction and why I now ignore him. The pattern never changes, and Amir will NEVER admit he is wrong....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back