Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #6,737 of 12,283
Sorry, but it has been suggested to me that links to that site are not welcome here. Too bad there is such animosity between audiophile groups.

Apology accepted. I have the data I was requesting.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #6,738 of 12,283
What do use for your digital output to the Yggy; Asio, Wasapi, or Kernel Streaming? I use a Windows 10 laptop, and I think Kernel streaming sounds better. It is a close call between kernel and asio though. What does everyone else prefer?

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #6,739 of 12,283
What do use for your digital output to the Yggy; Asio, Wasapi, or Kernel Streaming? I use a Windows 10 laptop, and I think Kernel streaming sounds better. It is a close call between kernel and asio though. What does everyone else prefer?

Using older 2007ish HPLaptop pavilion with windows 7 exclusively for music... Via Jriver 23 I think... Not the newest but just before the newest.. Prolly 22.
I use my Sammy tablet let to control the laptop which I use as a "renderer" for tidal and HDD flac and Wav files...

I was using WASAPI while out putting to Gen 3 usb on yggy... Around Christmas time introduced a MATRIX X SPDIF converter into the equation which comes with ASIO drivers... I have switched between WASAPI and ASIO and find no difference... That being said I just decided to stick with asio....

I decided against Gen 5 upgrade because it was exclusive to yggy... The matrix x Spdif converter could be taken over to another dac should the need arise...

The matrix Spdif converter in my system gave me a nice improvement in sound.. Particularly in micro detailing and separation of sounds...
Be warned I have good equipment to hear these micro details...

I was using a Cardas lighting 15 cable at first and then purchased a AES EBU cable... Their fairly neck to neck but AES cable didn't cost so much... From what read you got to throw money at the AES EBU cable to get improvements over the digital coax cable...

My 2 cents

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #6,740 of 12,283
Reading few posts lately, i made few changes around my Yggy with the following results:
1. Self installed USB Gen5 - more top end and bass. Comes closer or better than my AES/EBU input from a U12 /NUC source.
2. Moved to Volumio player (from Daphile) - elevated clarity in detail/resolution
3. Played around my Yamaha NS1000x speakers position - significant SQ gain. Clears top end and goes very low (my subs definitely not needed).
4. Surprisingly moved from Balanced to SE output - My SE interconnect removed a subtle occassional abrasiveness through Balanced XLR. I am getting a new Chord XLR to return back to Balanced output.

I hear few people talking about greyness. I would strongly suggest reviewing their cables, source and most importantly speaker position (if used). These are more likely the problem.
This DAC is clear, detailed, transparent and most importantly super musical. I struggle to see improvements from here - will wait for some time before the next upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #6,741 of 12,283
I hear few people talking about greyness. I would strongly suggest reviewing their cables, source and most importantly speaker position (if used). These are more likely the problem.
This DAC is clear, detailed, transparent and most importantly super musical.

I agree with this -- it's got to be something else (or a combination of factors).

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #6,742 of 12,283
Reading few posts lately, i made few changes around my Yggy with the following results:

4. Surprisingly moved from Balanced to SE output - My SE interconnect removed a subtle occassional abrasiveness through Balanced XLR. I am getting a new Chord XLR to return back to Balanced output.

Maybe I should repeat an email I received from someone I know who is a designer and engineer in regards to using balanced, and assuming it should always sound superior. I edited out names. Here it is.

Gene,

No... remember me telling you about the """"" engineering guy that used to work for """"""" and his opinion about it all? It's a "theoretical" issue and not brand-dependent... but the "opinion" is rooted in absolute fact. If both phases of a balanced line aren't perfectly identical (and they never are), then the phase that has content that is absent in the other will inject those signals into the mix. if it's genuine audio information present in the recording - then that's good. If its some form of artifact not in the original source... then it's bad.The reverse can be true as well. One phase rolls off the highs just a wee bit, then you either get a boost or a cut depending on which phase it is. Just so many things that can go wrong that CANNOT go wrong in a unbalanced line.

It's your poison though, so "drink up" as you see fit. As for me, I don't trust any manufacturer to build such precisely balanced circuits so as to just be able to relax and ignore the issue - not unless they at least publish their CMMR (Common-Mode Rejection Ration) spec. Even then they are usually limited to somewhere around 90 dB, and that ain't cutting it. Heck, even 16-bit can do 96dB dynamic range, and everything these days is at least 24-bit. So... figure it out. The odds are something isn't going to be right with a balanced input - period. Well, unless maybe you're spinning vinyl that is theoretically limited to a max dynamic range of 65 dB - at best. Then who cares?

""""" """""" """""

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #6,743 of 12,283
Maybe I should repeat an email I received from someone I know who is a designer and engineer in regards to using balanced, and assuming it should always sound superior. I edited out names. Here it is........

I (and others I suspect) have seen the balanced vs SE info you posted (repeatedly). Largely true, however, there are other more important considerations, IMO. Namely, amplifier distortion. I use XLR balanced out of Yggy into XLR (not truly balanced) on an M6si amp which converts it to SE. The increased gain (voltage and approx +6db) from the Yggy XLR allows for the same decibel level to be achieved with the amps volume pot "lower" (further counter-clockwise) and hence there *is* less distortion. Granted, all amps have a "zone" below which and above which distortion increases. In my case, balanced out from Ygg produces "exactly perfect" results. Using SE from Yggy would mean I'd have to increase volume on the amp to maintain the same decibel level and hence increase distortion. No thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #6,744 of 12,283

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #6,745 of 12,283
One aspect that could contribute to the GRAY factor is the use of SMPS (aka wall warts) in the vicinity and or on the same ac branch circuit.

Just say'n.

JJ

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #6,746 of 12,283
One aspect that could contribute to the GRAY factor is the use of SMPS (aka wall warts) in the vicinity and or on the same ac branch circuit.

Just say'n.

JJ

That's "a" problem but not "the" problem.

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #6,747 of 12,283
Scott,

I am glad you like your new DAC!! I think the two major aspects of determining SQ are the DAC (hopefully a R2R style) being used in conjunction with excellent Room Correction...(something better than Audessey) they have made my digital system sound better than vinyl to me... when convenience & instant choice is thrown in there, playing records does not stand a chance... for me anyway...
Larry,

Vinyl seems to have enough dynamic range to still sound great. The major benefit to vinyl to my ears is how smooth the sound is as it lacks the digital harshness that is so hard to escape when playing digital files. Vinyl just sounds more musical and real in most situations.

Yggdrasil has a bit of a grey background to it and has just a bit of that digital harshness to it. I didn’t really notice it until compared Yggdrasil to the PS Audio DirectStream running Red Cloud. That’s why I sold my Yggdrasil and replaced it with the DirectStream. I couldn’t be happier as I got killer deal on near new DirectStream with full warranty.
Hi I'm Lubengulu from Jerusalem, I have a strange problem with my Yggdrasil, a long story!
Is any one interested/?
Is this the right way to start?
All the best.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #6,749 of 12,283
Hi all, I have a problem with my Yggdrasil Anyone interested in a long story and offer some HELP?

How can we answer that if you do not tell us what it is? Go for it.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #6,750 of 12,283

Just say'n.

JJ

Agreed. We seem to be beating the horse a bit about about the "grayness" that some experience in their own system even though others do not experience the same thing. The closest I can come to agreeing with the Yggy having any part in that is the idea that it might not interact as hoped for in every unique set up. My own opinion however is that other factors in ones system are at play, especially grounding, isolation, and choice of input.

I am glad that folks move on and find other DACs that meet their needs. There are a bunch of standout DACs out there. If I were starting fresh I would consider one of the better DENEFRIPS R2R Dacs but in my own system the Yggy is remarkably clear, precise, and especially dynamic. I use the AES input and the XLR output but just the positive leg to an RCA connector. I am not using USB. Perhaps this is a factor in my own experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back