Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 12, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #6,061 of 12,475
Nov 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #6,062 of 12,475
So those holes on the Yggy don't vent. Is that correct?

Yep, found the comment on it in the Gungnir owner's manual:

7 How Come These Holes Don’t Go Through?
Hey, you try getting FCC-friendly radiated noise on a DAC that has
vents in the cover. Go ahead, try. But hey, they
look cool, right?

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #6,063 of 12,475
If you're having trouble with Roon from your computer, I recommend getting a Raspberry Pi 3B + simple case and microSD card and installing DietPi on it. It requires configuration via a terminal program over the network, but it's menu-based, so not hard. I could probably write up a guide if anyone is interested.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #6,068 of 12,475
I can confirm this. I plugged in my Yggdrasil yesterday and windows recognized it immediately. Had it up and running with foobar2000 with wasapi plugin and have it outputting bit perfect playback already.

I too can confirm its "plug-and-play" where windows 10 is concerned. Interesting to note that despite being Gen 5, and despite windows recognizing/reporting the USB card as Gen 5, the number 3 precedes the playback device label. So windows reports the device as something like "3 Yggdrasil Gen 5". Anyone know what the "3" signifies (and care to share) in this instance?

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #6,069 of 12,475
I also have my arcam cd73 cd player hooked up to it via digital out (coax) so I'm bypassing the wolfson dac in it, but yeah, cd player is significantly more smooth and focused sounding then usb.
This is without a 75ohm cable... and the Yggy isn't even two full days warmed up.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #6,071 of 12,475
@D2Girls How do you like Yggy’s sound compared to your previous DACs?
To put it briefly and simply, the amount of detail and character out each and every note I'm hearing, from the midrange female vocals, to the separation of the instruments to the detail of the bass it's frankly amazing and a revelation how much of a difference the Yggy makes. I've been documenting the difference in sound on some of the discord servers I'm in and was saving my more thought out and well written review of the Yggy here. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell a little about it here. Switching sources to my arcam cd73 as well also improved my listening experience even more. All of a sudden my songs sounded more focused and smooth. Highly reccomend using CD player as source even with a coax cable I found for $3 it sounded great.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #6,072 of 12,475
Also, to any fellow Canadians who have, or plan to order a Yggdrasil direct from schiit as I did prepare for a few things. Schiit doesn't seem to give FedEx permission to broker your package through customs. So your your package will generally arrive overnight via plane, and get stuck in you local customs office until you yourself contact FedEx and give them your credit card info so they can charge you for customs (just tax, there's no tarrifs levied on audio gear like this) I suggest doing what I did, insisting with FedEx to label the package under "Amplifier Sound" category.

After you've given them you credit card info and paid the taxes It'll get cleared for shipping. It's possible I suppose if you contacted FedEx before it arrived in local customs to arrange all of this but I honestly assumed schiit would have done this basic thing. Anyway, expect a one day delay due to all of this. Btw, when I asked Schiit about this, they assumed I was asking them and expecting them to cover my international fees (taxes)!! Kind of cheeky of them.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #6,073 of 12,475
Hello guys.

I just got a Yggy last week and I'm running it into a PrimaLuna integrated. After 6 days, the sound is very good. It is actually a better combo than I expected. I've always used XLR interconnects, but with this new setup I have to use RCA's. I purchased a set of SR Atmosphere UEF cables. The cable ends are too big to properly fit the Yggy. Looking at the cable ends in the Yggy, they are not parallel. I have to change this. Does anyone have recommendations on RCA cables that will fit properly?

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,074 of 12,475
Hello guys.

I just got a Yggy last week and I'm running it into a PrimaLuna integrated. After 6 days, the sound is very good. It is actually a better combo than I expected. I've always used XLR interconnects, but with this new setup I have to use RCA's. I purchased a set of SR Atmosphere UEF cables. The cable ends are too big to properly fit the Yggy. Looking at the cable ends in the Yggy, they are not parallel. I have to change this. Does anyone have recommendations on RCA cables that will fit properly?

When I did have RCA connected to my Yggy, I used this https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm and believe it is perfectly fine. I never bought into the expensive cable routine and even if one does subscribe to the idea of "better" cabling, realistically cables of any kind should still only be a small percentage (<10%?) of the cost of the component. Just my .02. (2%)

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #6,075 of 12,475
Hello guys.

Never a problem here in almost 2 years of owning a Yiggy. I have Xhadow on Wywires and Cardas on Wywires these have shrink on the barels (not small rca's) and never had a problem.
Close? But not making it no. If the barrels are touching slide a piece of paper in between.

Just looked. 2 pairs of RC's out and they are both parallel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back