Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #4,951 of 12,405

And let me be clear here we ARE talking about the last 5% or less, of what is possible in terms of SQ.
It's not that any means of delivering a suitable digital audio stream is bad or weak or deficient by any means.
But it is to say that there is more to be gained in terms of the overall acoustic presentation, if you choose to pursue it.

And all this is relative to what each of us values in the music we hear, which is unique to the individual to begin with.

JJ

There's always another 5%. Marketer's and our own greed will continue to make sure of that. It's a human condition.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,952 of 12,405
The UpTone Audio ISO Regen has been officially announced, described, and priced:

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen

I will be ordering one on Tuesday!

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #4,953 of 12,405
  There's always another 5%. Marketer's and our own greed will continue to make sure of that. It's a human condition.

I see it slightly differently.

To me that 5% keeps expanding upwards as the previous 100% keeps being eclipsed by a newer 100%.

IOW the bar keeps getting raised as the previous best SQ gets bested over and over again.

I wrote a post about this a ways back.

JJ

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #4,954 of 12,405
  Thanks, JJ, that's very interesting. If Dante had a Linux server solution like Roon does, I'd be sorely tempted. But I'm too comfortable with my Ubuntu NUC/NAS server setup to upend it all for a PC or Mac server. And I really like Roon's music library management. Patience for now, maybe another SU-1 for my other system....

Dante only supports Mac and Win at this point but using a NµC is doable now.
And it is best if the Dante network has its own separate h/w & s/w apart from any other network, though not mandatory since the bandwidth we need is so slight.

Right now as I type this on my Mac Pro running Jriver and streaming out via my independent Dante network, I'm using 580KB/s feeding 44.1 Sample Rate files into my Jggy.
And even if I were to max out my SR at 192KB/s the bandwidth only uses 2.4MB/s thruput.

In fact, I down sample any file with a SR above 44.1KB to 44.1 just to keep the Jggy running optimally.
Though I must admit I haven't fully tested this to see if there is a decided advantage in using this scheme, or not.

JJ

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #4,955 of 12,405
  Perhaps an open ethernet based audio streaming protocol will emerge in due course but I've not heard of anything that would support this, at all.
And really the ethernet network h/w and s/w costs aren't huge in and of themselves.

The Squeezebox AOIP ecosystem is opensource. Logitech made it available after they exited the Squeezebox business.
Works across quite a few platforms Linux, Mac, Windows etc.
It works with the Sonore Microrendu and devices like the Raspberry Pi and Odroid

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #4,956 of 12,405
That's good to know thanks!

JJ

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #4,957 of 12,405
  I very much hope your info is correct, that would clean up things a lot if it's lean and not ridiculously priced. 

I still don't understand what the Dante-based gear does that makes it better than other AES-output solutions according to so many observers. What confuses me is that the job of a Dante endpoint is not *that* different from the job of a Roon streamer with the same type of output. IP packets in, buffering, clock management, S/PDIF encoding, physical output (AES/coax/...). I know the protocols are different, but I find it hard to see how that would make much of a difference. Or is it that the consumer-oriented units have just not been as well designed electrically, whatever their price?

There is a long and winding thread here on HF and a few on CA which have a wealth of information regarding the technical differences between streaming and AOIP. I am not able to easily recount it but the protocols work differently. My own experience is with a good USB chain and now Dante/Mutec.

I can tell you however that even with just a Dante DDC it is worth it, especially with the Yggy, and once you go down the rabbit hole of re-clocking with Mutec, using an external clock with the RN3/D16, and even replacing the SMPS of the Rednet box with an LPS you will find yourself thinking about what music to buy and not what equipment to buy. That is what I find myself doing now...

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #4,958 of 12,405
  The UpTone Audio ISO Regen has been officially announced, described, and priced:

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen

I will be ordering one on Tuesday!

Would it work if you put this or the Schiit Wyrd before the Mutec MC3+? 

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,959 of 12,405
  Would it work if you put this or the Schiit Wyrd before the Mutec MC3+? 

Yes, the ISO Regen put before the Mutec makes sense.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4,960 of 12,405

Yes, the ISO Regen put before the Mutec makes sense.

I think the Mutec has also USB galvanic isolation. Not sure if it would benefit. More connectors/cables in the chain too. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #4,961 of 12,405
If you know the answers why do you ask the questions????

By the way the Singxer F-1 I use offers some level of isolation too. But it's not complete so I will be putting an ISO Regen in front of it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #4,962 of 12,405
  If you know the answers why do you ask the questions????

By the way the Singxer F-1 I use offers some level of isolation too. But it's not complete so I will be putting an ISO Regen in front of it.

I'm open minded to someone else their arguments/answers :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,963 of 12,405
I experience serious USB noise with my speaker system. I have tried two amps and its not the amps the problem.

as soon as I plug the usb cable to the yggdrassil, I hear noise and interference: worst when I move the mouse or go to internet...

what can I do to resolve this problem? I experience the same problem with the modi multibit and the yggdrasil

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #4,964 of 12,405
  I experience serious USB noise with my speaker system. I have tried two amps and its not the amps the problem.

as soon as I plug the usb cable to the yggdrassil, I hear noise and interference: worst when I move the mouse or go to internet...

what can I do to resolve this problem? I experience the same problem with the modi multibit and the yggdrasil

Try different usb port (3.0 instead of 2.0 or the opposite), change usb cable or use a usb-power-hub like the schiit wyrd. your pc-source is important too? Which motherboard? Apple? Try another pc-source too. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4,965 of 12,405
  Try different usb port (3.0 instead of 2.0 or the opposite), change usb cable or use a usb-power-hub like the schiit wyrd. your pc-source is important too? Which motherboard? Apple? Try another pc-source too. 

I did try all the usb plug, nothing fix it
I do not experience the noise with the yggdrasil connected to my headphone amp, only with my speaker amps
I use a PC desktop
I have tried 3 different usb cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back