Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #4,801 of 12,398
  I am almost considering getting a Mutec, or Singxer to try and make sure this thing is at its best.

There's small but noticeable difference going from the USB on the Yggy to the AES on the SU-1. The entire spectrum seems to lose a layer of edginess and the listening is more comfortable. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #4,802 of 12,398

There's small but noticeable difference going from the USB on the Yggy to the AES on the SU-1. The entire spectrum seems to lose a layer of edginess and the listening is more comfortable. 

Does it play nicely?

I have an ifi that I used to go from USB to Coaxial (I am now using toslink instead of USB) but it would constantly have mute relay issues.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #4,803 of 12,398
Does it play nicely?

I have an ifi that I used to go from USB to Coaxial (I am now using toslink instead of USB) but it would constantly have mute relay issues.

Zero issues with playback. The drivers all work great on my windows 7 and the sample rates etc switch automatically with no problems at all. It's a great little thing. I would however wait for the Eitr to be released and see what it's all about.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #4,804 of 12,398
  Does it play nicely?

FUN FACT:  Using toslink to Yggy   (Cable = Wireworld SuperNova 6)

1. Toslink from PC Motherboard to Yggy = Max 24/96  (any higher and there are obvious timing problems - glitches, dropouts etc.)
2. Toslink from PC Motherboard to Mutec MC-3+, then AES out to Yggy = Max 24/192 (no dropouts or discernible problems)

I thought that was kind of cool...
Granted, knowing that the SuperNova 6 cable is spec'd at 24/96, I tend to set that as my absolute MAX anyway.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #4,805 of 12,398
... I would however wait for the Eitr to be released and see what it's all about.

I keep hearing secondary references to the Eitr but have not read anything that even speculated about what it was.

Any thoughts?

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4,806 of 12,398
Baldr keeps feeding us rotten breadcrumbs in his long and strange trip. But we'll only know if we pieced them together when the Eitr is launched.
Here's the latest clue:

[COLOR=000000]AES-EBU sounds the best and certainly drives a longer cable than coax S/PDIF. So what is so different about it? Well, it is balanced. Now then, normally balanced is better, but the balanced we think of in analog systems is baseband audio. The bi-phase encoded digital stream in S/PDIF and AES-EBU is 2.8-ish to 3.1-ish MegaHertz. Quite a bit higher, like 150x of the highest audio baseband stuff. Much better for longer runs. So what is the circuit difference, besides the connector interface??[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Are you ready? It is a transformer. That is it, all, done*. A 3Mhz-ish pulse transformer that can drive a 75ohm total load. So you say, well all I have to do is add a transformer to my Modi-Multibit and I can convert my coax input into AES-EBU?? Yup, that is about it except for the connector. Now that XLR plugin connector is a real horsecock compared to the RCA already on the Multi-Modi. Ugh, won't fit. It will fit fine on a Bifrost size chassis. Bad idea #1: Hey, all I have to do is change any of our Magni-Modi chassis sized units to Bifrost or Jotunheim size and I can bring AES-EBU to everyman! How cool. Not so fast – the Bifrost/Jot chassis costs a lot more. Translates to just about eighty bucks. That means the Multi-Modi is now $329 bucks and everyone, including those who could care less about AES-EBU are paying more.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Since punishing the masses for the sake of the few didn't seem attractive, I retired to a quiet location. Guess what! While in meditative spiritual congress with the digital audio gods the location of a secret schematic with a solution was revealed. Bad idea #2: All I have to do is build a bidirectional cable with an integrated transformer. This, with an appropriate gender-bender for the XLR end, could make a cable to either convert a coax input to a AES-EBU source, or vice versa, so it would not be necessary to spend a kilobuck for either a DAC or a DDC with AES-EBU connectivity. Brilliant![/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Then I googled S/PDIF coax to AES-EBU converter cables. There are several available. Under 50 bucks!  Phew! No Schiit price inflation necessary for less expensive products! Great news. Oh, the footnote:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]*AES-EBU and S/PDIF are not identical. This should be no problem unless you are using pro-gear and pro masters. The subcode information and levels can be different on true pro-audio sourced material, which few/if any of us have access to. If you have a EBU on a DDC connected to a USB, you have nothing to fear. If you have a spinner with a XLR out, no problem. However, if you have a digital master tape connected to a Rane mixer with AES-EBU, then you probably know what you are doing to interface all properly.[/COLOR]

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,807 of 12,398

I keep hearing secondary references to the Eitr but have not read anything that even speculated about what it was.

Any thoughts?

As mentioned by the person above, all we have is some clues and it is supposedly a DDC of sorts. No one can really say specifically what kind of inputs/outputs it has but it could be similar to the DDCs in the market at the moment (SU-1, MC-3), so waiting out for it makes sense considering since it is by schiit, it might work better on the Yggy than other products do.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,808 of 12,398

I would look for a Topaz Ultra-Isolator isolation transformer on eBay in the 1.8 to 2.5kVA sizes. Then plug ALL of you audio equipment into a simple TrippLite power strip with no line conditioning features and plug the TripLite into the Topaz isolation transformer. The key is the .005pF or .0005pF low capacitance inter-winding. 

These old Topaz units are superior to just about anything you can buy today and can cost less too.

Very interesting. I can see this being effective for a computer based headphone listening environment utilizing DDC + DAC + Amp as long a the computer is left upstream of, or outside of, the isolation transformer and the DDC has a linear power supply and is in addition proving a galvanically isolated output.

For a speaker based system, especially with monoblock amps demanding instantaneous current flow for best performance, my inclination would be to go with overbuilt dedicated circuits of equal length fed from a dedicated sub panel, along with audiophile grade outlets, with amps plugged directly into the wall and and in addition separation of other analog and digital components onto different circuits.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,809 of 12,398

"

Alright it did arrive. I just have to wait a few days to buy the XLR-interconnects. Did install the Siemens CCA's  1964 Greyshields though :).

Now saving up for some badass speakers :)

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #4,810 of 12,398

Congratulations. Any speakers in mind??

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,811 of 12,398

Congratulations. Any speakers in mind??

Yes sir, I've had previous month a listening session of two hours with different speakers. I did choose for the Adam S2V's . The new professional series speakers of Adam. It will happen somewhere end june/mid july. 4th may I will order my balanced passive attentuator (volume control) unit. Which will be placed between the speakers and amplifier. Mutec MC3+ (AES connection) will happen someday too. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,812 of 12,398

As mentioned by the person above, all we have is some clues and it is supposedly a DDC of sorts. No one can really say specifically what kind of inputs/outputs it has but it could be similar to the DDCs in the market at the moment (SU-1, MC-3), so waiting out for it makes sense considering since it is by schiit, it might work better on the Yggy than other products do.

Thanks for the replies.

Currently I am using AES/EBU input on both of my Yggys, one directly from my Rednet D16 and the other from a Mutec USB but I am sure others will find it very useful.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4,813 of 12,398

... I can see this being effective for a computer based headphone listening environment utilizing DDC + DAC + Amp as long a the computer is left upstream of, or outside of, the isolation transformer and the DDC has a linear power supply and is in addition proving a galvanically isolated output.

For a speaker based system, especially with monoblock amps demanding instantaneous current flow for best performance, my inclination would be to go with overbuilt dedicated circuits of equal length fed from a dedicated sub panel, along with audiophile grade outlets, with amps plugged directly into the wall and and in addition separation of other analog and digital components onto different circuits.

I would have thought so too and when I first bought my Topaz this is how I did it. I just used it to isolated everything but my power amp and computer thinking it was just about line noise.

As it turns out, and according to John Swenson, the benefit from plugging everything into a plain old good quality power distribution strip(with no filtering) and that into the ISO is that you bring all of the equipment to the same ground potential. This reduction in ground currents outweighs any benefits from removing noise introduced back into your closed audio electrical system from your other connected devices. It is of course helpful to be using as many LPS's as possible and have good equipment in the first place.

I started out with just my DAC, DDC, and preamp plugged into the ISO. I then added my 10 watt LTA ZOTL power amp. Yesterday I jumped all in and plugged my entire speaker based audio system including my audio server PC and ethernet fiber transmitters. Each of these steps bought me better sound quality but the last step was the biggest. It also involved removing two filtering devices that I had been using to feed my two LPS's. I now have no external filtering devices and everything plugged into a 1KVM Topaz. You may need to assess your own current demands to pick the correct ISO. Buying a Kill-A-Watt to measure current might help.

The gains are much lowered noise floor with increased clarity, detail, micro-dynamics, and instrument localization. Absolutely worth it.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4,814 of 12,398

I would have thought so too and when I first bought my Topaz this is how I did it. I just used it to isolated everything but my power amp and computer thinking it was just about line noise.

As it turns out, and according to John Swenson, the benefit from plugging everything into a plain old good quality power distribution strip(with no filtering) and that into the ISO is that you bring all of the equipment to the same ground potential. This reduction in ground currents outweighs any benefits from removing noise introduced back into your closed audio electrical system from your other connected devices. It is of course helpful to be using as many LPS's as possible and have good equipment in the first place.

I started out with just my DAC, DDC, and preamp plugged into the ISO. I then added my 10 watt LTA ZOTL power amp. Yesterday I jumped all in and plugged my entire speaker based audio system including my audio server PC and ethernet fiber transmitters. Each of these steps bought me better sound quality but the last step was the biggest. It also involved removing two filtering devices that I had been using to feed my two LPS's. I now have no external filtering devices and everything plugged into a 1KVM Topaz. You may need to assess your own current demands to pick the correct ISO. Buying a Kill-A-Watt to measure current might help.

The gains are much lowered noise floor with increased clarity, detail, micro-dynamics, and instrument localization. Absolutely worth it.

I agree with what you are saying that bringing all the equipment to the same ground potential can outweigh the benefits of removing noise from other connected devices. That's why I mentioned that dedicated circuits should be of equal length if you go that route. There's a great article on electrical delivery systems written by Shunyata here that talks about this in relation to systems requiring high instantaneous current delivery.

But back to the isolation transformer discussion. I'm wondering if it is possible to have your cake and eat it too if you are using a DDC with galvanically isolated outputs. In that scenario you can put the computer outside the isolation transformer because there's no pathway then that Type 1 noise from the computer can enter the audio chain via the power cable or for Type 2 noise (as John refers to it) to enter via the USB shield. At the same time the DDC + DAC + Amp are all at the same ground potential so you get that benefit. 

Thoughts?

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #4,815 of 12,398
  But back to the isolation transformer discussion. I'm wondering if it is possible to have your cake and eat it too if you are using a DDC with galvanically isolated outputs. In that scenario you can put the computer outside the isolation transformer because there's no pathway then that Type 1 noise from the computer can enter the audio chain via the power cable or for Type 2 noise (as John refers to it) to enter via the USB shield. At the same time the DDC + DAC + Amp are all at the same ground potential so you get that benefit. 

Thoughts?

This is exactly my plan. In fact, my Singxer F-1 offers a fair amount of isolation so I have only audio components plugged into my Topaz. When the UpTone Audio ISO Regen comes out, I will buy one of those and use it to completely isolate the audio system from the computer system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back