Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,919 of 12,319
Mike Moffat and others here have posted they believe that Yggy's best results can been achieved though the AES/EBU input rather than the USB input. I've been extremely happy with my current desktop nearfield system: 16/44.1 balanced USB chain of Mac Mini (Pure Music or Roon)>Wyrd>Yggy>Ragnarock>KEF LS50/JLAudio e110. When I put the system together a few years ago, I had no way to input through AES/EBU to see for myself if there was any difference, but the sound was so awesome over USB that I didn't feel there was any reason to believe this needed improved upon.

Recently, I've read with interest the very positive reports from those experimenting with AOIP, but Dante/Rednet 3 setups were too big and too expensive for me to consider. I recently purchased a Dante/Atterotech UnDAES-O setup as a more reasonable option to see for myself if I could realize similar positive results from my own system.

After about an hour dicking around with the Dante controller/sound card, Pure Music, Roon, and Apple MIDI settings making sure each was optimized to maximum output quality, I was able to construct a Multi-Output Device that allowed me to play iTunes, Pure Music, or Roon and A/B test the USB versus AES/USB input to Yggy at equal output level using the input button on the Yggy to rapidly switch.

Going from AES/EBU to USB was easy requiring only one click of the button allowing near instantaneous A/B testing. USB to AES/EBU was a bit more difficult since it required 4 clicks to change the input, so there was about a 3 second delay to make the jump.

I started with Pure Music. For about 10 minutes, I played familiar tracks and clicked back and forth between the settings. I let the tracks run and would switch inputs every 10 seconds or so. I did not try to A/B the exact track segment because I didn't want any delay reselecting the segment potentially clouding my evaluation because I forgot what I had just listened to.

It was difficult for me to detect any major difference going back and forth regarding sound staging or general music quality. Both inputs sounded fabulous. For some reason I decided to close my eyes, drop my head, and sit perfectly still with my only movement being my finger pressing the input button to see if I could pick up a general gestalt of each input over 20 seconds or so.

And then I picked up on a noticeable difference. When set to AES/EBU, I felt I was in an extremely relaxed state, with low heart rate and nearly falling asleep. Switching to USB brought a near immediate "pressure" in my central head with increased heart rate and a much more agitated body awareness. Switching back to AES/EBU put me back in the prior relaxed state after about 5-10 seconds.

This was absolutely reproducible each time I switch inputs regardless of me using iTunes, Pure Music, or Roon as playback engine. But if I sat back and just listened for sound quality again, I really couldn't tell a major difference between the settings. I downloaded Audirvana to try to see if it gave me the same feeling, but I couldn't get it to work with the Multi-Output Device. It wanted me to set the MIDI input via a preference setting, so I couldn't do the near instantaneous switching I'd done previously.

With some more experimentation, I also found that I could tolerate louder levels without fatigue on AES/EBU than USB.

I'm a Physician in my day job, so I'm well aware of somatic findings, but I was shocked that I could FEEL a MAJOR difference in my music even though I couldn't HEAR a major difference. Maybe this is the "removal of layers of grime from the window pane" I've read reviewers talk about.

If reduction of listener fatigue and an improved sense of well being are the only byproducts of this change to my system, the less than $700 expenditure will have been well worth it. At this point, I'm an AOIP convert! I just wish I better understood the physics involved. Perhaps Mike's Manhattan project has something to do with this.

I'm interested if any others have experienced the same.

DSNORD

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #3,922 of 12,319
Of all the Yggy's inputs, AES is definitely the "warmest" sounding.  It's why I tend to prefer this input with the rest of my gear...  Especially the Focal studio monitors which tend to lean more to the neutral side of the spectrum.  A little extra padding around the midrange and upper bass region certainly doesn't hurt them in any way...
wink_face.gif

Both of the COAX inputs come in a very close 2nd and only seem to differ ever so slightly from AES in the "warmth" department.
AES puts just a touch more meat on the bones - But I can honestly say that I'm happy to use either input method, they both sound excellent!

USB direct in - sounds good, but doesn't quite compare IMO.  This is why I ultimately use a USB to COAX / AES converter/re-clocker.

On a side note:

AOIP looks quite interesting but seems a bit fiddly and certainly isn't cheap.  I think I would rather just get a good quality pro audio card with AES / COAX output and see where that takes me vs. going down the AOIP rabbit hole...
But that's down the road... for now I'm going to sit back and enjoy what I have. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,923 of 12,319
  A simple coax to AES using Canare adapter will reveal the difference too.

Wait, what?  It doesn't have to originate from AES to make a difference?

That is, coax-> converter -> AES -> Yggy sounds better than coax -> Yggy?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #3,924 of 12,319

Wait, what?  It doesn't have to originate from AES to make a difference?

That is, coax-> converter -> AES -> Yggy sounds better than coax -> Yggy?

No, it does not have to originate from AES to make it work but is there a difference I can hear? Yes, I can. AES to AES may bring another level of enjoyment, who knows!!! Now that you have spent on Dante equipment, you can give this a try this too, compare and enlighten us.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,925 of 12,319

No, it does not have to originate from AES to make it work but is there a difference I can hear? Yes, I can. AES to AES may bring another level of enjoyment, who knows!!! Now that you have spent on Dante equipment, you can give this a try this too, compare and enlighten us.

I don't have a Dante.  Currently I'm using SMS-200->(USB)->Wyred4Sound uLink->(BNC)->AES converter->Lyngdorf DPA1->(Coax)->UberFrost.  Sounds great to me but I want to simplify someday after upgrading the UberFrost and get rid of the Wyrd and LANRover that's also involved in that mess.

I want Audinate to make a Linux driver so I can do MPD->AOIP.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #3,926 of 12,319
Does not appear to be any interest in my impressions for Tidal/MQA through YGGY.

meh, I tried ABing and I just gave up.
John Coletrane - Coletrane's Sound.  First track on the HIFI album, sounds nice, put on the Master album and the first track is wayy louder. Don't feel like ABing a remaster.. only way to do it half arsed i guess is to switch between Master and High in the audio settings since you can't switch between Master and HIFI.

Some albums are nicer but that's what a better remaster would do at any level, be it Normal or this Master quality thing.

Only cool thing I guess is that the Yggdrasil clicks and changes from 44-48, 1x-4x more often on the master albums. makes me appreciate the craftsmanship of the DAC.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,927 of 12,319

Tell Foobar to use WASAPI mode to bypass Windows handling of the output and automatically resampling it to 24/192.  You may need to download the plugin seperately.  I don't remember as I haven't used Foobar in a while.

Well, I got it to work. I can even remote into the pc (made sure the option to play sound on the host was selected) and control it from an iPad. The only problem is when I close the iPad interface, the music stops. Foobar says something about not being able to play sound. Must be a wasapi thing with remote desktop since I did not have this problem using direct sound.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #3,928 of 12,319
Only cool thing I guess is that the Yggdrasil clicks and changes from 44-48, 1x-4x more often on the master albums. makes me appreciate the craftsmanship of the DAC.

I hear the clicking also, but I am having a problem when I click on a track in a master album it sounds garbled. I have to click 3 or 4 times on different tracks before it begins to stream normally. Once it begin again to play normally the rest of the album plays fine.

Did you have this problem. I am set for exclusive mode in Tidal app. Using a USB from laptop win7 to yggy DAC.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,929 of 12,319
I hear the clicking also, but I am having a problem when I click on a track in a master album it sounds garbled. I have to click 3 or 4 times on different tracks before it begins to stream normally. Once it begin again to play normally the rest of the album plays fine.

Did you have this problem. I am set for exclusive mode in Tidal app. Using a USB from laptop win7 to yggy DAC.

it can be the Tidal app thats broken. Try uninstalling and then installing the newest.
or..
Its a problem with a crap USB cable or a crap USB port. Is it connected trough a powered HUB or a USB hub with loads of stuff connected? Powersupplies also can make a difference, try running your laptop with out the charger plugged in.

Edit: I don't know how fine the windows 7 driver database is compared to windows 10. win10>win7

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #3,930 of 12,319
So I'm just curious. Does anyone have a dedicated music server like an aurender driving Yggy? I mostly run Tidal and apparently there are a bunch of music servers (like Cambridge) that don't support Tidal. What has everyone found success with when it comes to music servers that play Tidal to Yggy? Is the sound favorable to a computer setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back