Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,887 of 12,304
The advantage of USB is its ubiquity and its convenience.  Whereas there are people here who like the sound of USB, the majority are with me, perhaps not to my extreme dislike.  It has been a major project of mine to elevate the sonic standards of USB, and I may be on the threshold of fixing it to my liking.  Until then, I find it functional but sounding less than wonderful.  As I have said elsewhere, it is like eating fast food - not delicious but it will form a stool.

Looking forward to an improved USB implementation since that's the only interface I'm using.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,888 of 12,304
I'm a little hesitant to ask this knowing how Mike and Jason feel about MQA, but don't a better place to ask this question.

Has anyone used the TIdal App to stream MQA to YGGY yet?

I will able to report back myself later this week on my findings although I hate to do this on the cheap and go laptop>USB>yggy.

Currently I stream Deezer Elite over sonos and it sounds better than the same ripped CD on FLAC. That surprised me.

It's looking like we can have our MQA and YGGY too as long as are willing to license the software outside the DAC.

What happens when you mix MQA and Manhattan?

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,889 of 12,304
  The advantage of USB is its ubiquity and its convenience.  Whereas there are people here who like the sound of USB, the majority are with me, perhaps not to my extreme dislike.  It has been a major project of mine to elevate the sonic standards of USB, and I may be on the threshold of fixing it to my liking.  Until then, I find it functional but sounding less than wonderful.  As I have said elsewhere, it is like eating fast food - not delicious but it will form a stool.

Thanks, and I am sure when this happens (when you have fixed it), just the USB board in our Yggys will be replaceable, right?

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3,891 of 12,304
What happens when you mix MQA and Manhattan?

You tear a hole in the fabric of space time!

Seriously, though, MQA is not compatible with DSP; it invalidates their "authentic" chain and potentially mucks with the origami process if upsampling / SRC is used.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3,892 of 12,304
You tear a hole in the fabric of space time!

Seriously, though, MQA is not compatible with DSP; it invalidates their "authentic" chain and potentially mucks with the origami process if upsampling / SRC is used.

Check out the MQA forum here to read their impressions.
i won't believe untll I hear it myself. It's a fun hobby only because I love music so much.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,893 of 12,304

Why do you find USB to be sub-par in the Yggy comparatively? Seeing as it's all digital, where's the difference between optical?

Genuinely interested in being enlightened.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #3,895 of 12,304
Its all digital but USB has a power pin that can transfer noise. Also noise from the computer is a huge factor.

No, I think because had that been the case, connecting data wires from USB to any of coax, Toslink or AES would work which is not the case. Also, if that were true you would not have separate USB board on Yggy. I am sure there is some DDC (Digital to Digital conversion..DSP?) takes place before it is fed to final digital input of DAC.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,896 of 12,304
I personally put a piece of tape over the power pin of my old USB cable, in order to eliminate that part of the signal and just use the data, and the SQ improved... meaning the power pin of the USB cable was transferring noise into the signal.  This has been repeated by others as well.  This isn't even getting into the amount of processes your computer runs to function...they all degrade the audio signal.  Ever hear of fidelizer, process lasso and audiophile optimizer?  Those programs are used by audiophiles to stop their computers from running so many programs/functions in order to improve the sound quality.  Computers are noisy machines.  It is also why there are so many USB decrapifiers/purifiers on the market.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,897 of 12,304
  I personally put a piece of tape over the power pin of my old USB cable, in order to eliminate that part of the signal and just use the data, and the SQ improved... meaning the power pin of the USB cable was transferring noise into the signal.  This has been repeated by others as well.  This isn't even getting into the amount of processes your computer runs to function...they all degrade the audio signal.  Ever hear of fidelizer, process lasso and audiophile optimizer?  Those programs are used by audiophiles to stop their computers from running so many programs/functions in order to improve the sound quality.  Computers are noisy machines.  It is also why there are so many USB decrapifiers/purifiers on the market.

Agree with what you said above but the point I wanted to make was that digital data from USB is not same as digital data from coax/AES. USB digital data is further processed to make fit/cosumable by DA converters. I have created a Y patch cable wherein first USB lines carries data while other the power.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,898 of 12,304
I don't think I understand the USB noise bit very well. How does the USB not transfer noise into something like the Singxer SU-1 when USB is being used to send data to it? If it does, and the noise gets removed in the Singxer, why can't that same function happen inside the Yggy eliminating the need of a DDC in between?

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,899 of 12,304
I imagine Yggy has some form of USB cleanup via the USB Gen.3 function.  But there is a reason people use more than one decrapifier and add costly LPS devices to it... no one solution seems to be able to get rid of it all.  Also, different computers are going to have different noise levels/amounts.  That's the problem with USB audio, it is coming from a machine that has far too many permutations to be used for hi-fi audio.  The great thing about a CD player is it just plays CDs.  I hear people get much better results using ethernet to AES solutions.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,900 of 12,304
PCI(e) professionnal card with AES output = problem solved 
ph34r.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back