Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,841 of 12,304
Second day with an Yggy, haven't turned it of. Its making me want to punch stuff and feel things.

Avashi Cohen Trio and the album intro Beyond.. I wanted to punch my speakers in the face for sounding to real.(Avashi plays alot like my dad)
Bill Evans, Waltz for Debbie (take 2).. I wanted to punch the audience in the face for making to much noise, never noticed the audience that much before.
Billy Cobham - Life and Times. This is the first time I have listened to this album via a digital source and thought about the times I listened to it on an LP as a Kid, made me feel things I didn't remember feeling. Its like traveling home and hearing the dialect everyone has that makes you feel welcome and home. Easiest way of explaining it for me I guess.

I'm not sending this Schiit back under that 15day return thingy they have, this DAC ain't leaving.:atsmile:
Please don't punch stuff as it can't help that it sounds that good ; ) I never turn mine off unless going on vacation. If it is new it will get better if not then your stuck with the way it sounds good problem.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,842 of 12,304
Second day with an Yggy, haven't turned it of. Its making me want to punch stuff and feel things.

Avashi Cohen Trio and the album intro Beyond.. I wanted to punch my speakers in the face for sounding to real.(Avashi plays alot like my dad)
Bill Evans, Waltz for Debbie (take 2).. I wanted to punch the audience in the face for making to much noise, never noticed the audience that much before.
Billy Cobham - Life and Times. This is the first time I have listened to this album via a digital source and thought about the times I listened to it on an LP as a Kid, made me feel things I didn't remember feeling. Its like traveling home and hearing the dialect everyone has that makes you feel welcome and home. Easiest way of explaining it for me I guess.

I'm not sending this Schiit back under that 15day return thingy they have, this DAC ain't leaving.:atsmile:

Only day 2. Wait until it's been a week or two. :wink:

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3,843 of 12,304
Seems like everyone praises the LS50 very high with the Rag/Yggy. I have two out of three.. maybe time to hunt down a pair of LS50.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #3,844 of 12,304
I am really liking this DAC. ButI just need a little help understanding the sample rate LEDs. I am running windows 10 pro with a PPang USB card to the DAC. Foobar is the player. The sample rate LED does not change when differently encoded files are played. Rather, the sample rate LEDS are 'stuck' to whatever windows is set to output in the sound control panel. So, for example,

1)right click on the little speaker in the notification area (bottom right)
2)select playback devices
3)in the control panel that pops up, select Speakers   2-Schiit Audio Gen 3 USB
3)click on the properties button
4)click on the advanced tab
5) in the drop down list, select the bit depth and sample rate.

Whatever I choose in this drop down is what lights up on the Yggy. So if for example I set it to 24 bit 192 kHz and play a track that is 16 bit 44khz, the Yggy LEDS that are lit are 48khz and 4x.  This behavior exists regardless of the oft ware player used - vlc, foobar2k, grove music or windows media player.

Device manager shows the Schiit usb functioning properly - no yellow exclamation marks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #3,845 of 12,304
You have to use a plugin for your player that allows the player to take control of the audio output and make sure you have the boxes in windows checked for exclusive mode.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,847 of 12,304
  I am really liking this DAC. ButI just need a little help understanding the sample rate LEDs. I am running windows 10 pro with a PPang USB card to the DAC. Foobar is the player. The sample rate LED does not change when differently encoded files are played. Rather, the sample rate LEDS are 'stuck' to whatever windows is set to output in the sound control panel. So, for example,

Whatever I choose in this drop down is what lights up on the Yggy. So if for example I set it to 24 bit 192 kHz and play a track that is 16 bit 44khz, the Yggy LEDS that are lit are 48khz and 4x.  This behavior exists regardless of the oft ware player used - vlc, foobar2k, grove music or windows media player.

Device manager shows the Schiit usb functioning properly - no yellow exclamation marks.

Tell Foobar to use WASAPI mode to bypass Windows handling of the output and automatically resampling it to 24/192.  You may need to download the plugin seperately.  I don't remember as I haven't used Foobar in a while.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #3,848 of 12,304

I would say go for a simple tower such as Tekton Lore and you will just be amazed. IMO, bookshelf can't portray real potential of your equipment.

The problem is space. I would be keeping the speakers on my desk. I'm not sure if floor standing are ideal if I sit at my desk and place them on the sides of the desk and listen to them. Also not sure if the Rag can power them to their full potential.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #3,849 of 12,304

The problem is space. I would be keeping the speakers on my desk. I'm not sure if floor standing are ideal if I sit at my desk and place them on the sides of the desk and listen to them. Also not sure if the Rag can power them to their full potential.

There are all kinds of good near field monitors for desktop use.  Personally, I wish I had the green for the Mini Maggies.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #3,850 of 12,304
I think the best response @Baldr can do is to just make a DAC that measures better than the Vivaldi (which measurement and sound wise, the yggdrasil still loses out to) and sell it fo 4k.

For the record, DAVE's measurement is even better (assuming Rob's graphs are correct, im waiting for the third party verification) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/1665#post_12341546

Schiit                                                                                                                                                 Vivaldi

On the last graph, schiits measurement is way worse on AES and SPDIF. While the Vivaldi's measurements were essentially the same no matter the input.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,851 of 12,304

Others have mentioned it, but you are allowing windows to control the output, so you are not getting a "bit perfect" chain to yggy. Windows is in away minipulating the signal.

You will need to go into foobar menu and open up preferences. Google foobar wasapi output drivers or plugin and make sure it is installed and selected in the plugin in section.

You need to make sure foobar is using wasapi output, and you are in exclusive output mode. Once you get foobar controlling the output and bypassing windows, you can change the sampling and you will see yggy switch.

This is one of the compromises we make when we use windows to manage and play our digital music. It is not as clean and straight forward an operation as with apple OS or Linux.

It takes effort, and minipulation, to get windows out of the way, and it is the reason many move away from it when they want a "bit perfect" signal path for lossless music files.   

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #3,852 of 12,304
Quote:

I would say go for a simple tower such as Tekton Lore and you will just be amazed. IMO, bookshelf can't portray real potential of your equipment.

I would say this is a depends questions.
The LS50's have plenty of slam, Many may feel they are lacking in the bass department but for double bass stuff(jazz for example) the amount is just perfect compared to the real thing.
Room size comes into play, they also improve loads If you put them on speaker stands.

I wouldn't buy the LS50's blind unless you know they have the sound profile you want. Audition them if you can and don't be like the guy who liked the audio better in his fiat because boomy bass was his thing :wink:

edit: perfect was a strong term to use without saying "in my opinion"

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,853 of 12,304
Stereophile's fb page blowing up because Atkinson called Yggy's chip "obsolete" 20-bit. Uncalled for.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,854 of 12,304
Can anyone recommend some good RCA cables to connect my ZDS and Yggdrasil?

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,855 of 12,304
  Stereophile's fb page blowing up because Atkinson called Yggy's chip "obsolete" 20-bit. Uncalled for.

Worth noting that Jason Stoddard responded: 
https://www.facebook.com/stereophilemag/posts/10155024621014198?comment_id=10155025292574198&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back