Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #3,481 of 12,301
Quote:
If you really need to use a Mac, maybe, but it's way less complicated and less problem-prone to use a dedicated streamer running a stripped-down version of Linux, such as a Sonore microRendu. Neither PCs nor Macs are built for high quality audio and the twists needed to get them to behave seem a waste of time and often of money (USB decrapifiers, cables, etc).

Good to know that that setup has been serving you well!  On the flip side of all that though, I don't currently have a wired network, a satellite receiver, a game console, a blu ray player, etc., so the Mac in my living room (my only computer) serves all of those functions.  I've yet to have a single issue getting it to output supposedly bit perfect audio to my DACs, and my latest computer cost about $100 more than a microRendu.  For me, there's a lot of time and money that has the potential of being wasted trying out a bunch of different gear.  But the "liquid and smooth, beautiful rendering" description by astrostar59 certainly makes me wanna try.

I run a Mac Mini with the Uptone Audio 12V DC board mod. Feed it clean power from an LPS and it sounds better.

[...]

On Audirvana+ IMO version 2.3.2 sound better than the current version.

And good to know what has worked well for you as well (thanks).

It may be just changing the software player or configuring it properly may make the best difference and cost in comparison very little. 

Good point.  I haven't used iTunes on its own for over five years.  Good to know about direct mode being broken in Sierra–thanks!  I'm going to continue to use Yosemite for as long as possible.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,483 of 12,301
  So... I have up-ed my game (once again) from the gumby to the yggy and from Mjolnir 2 to the Ragnarok. They are both on the way. Anybody had similar experiences? 

Gratz! Personally i was more blown away by the Yggy than the Rag. i got them both seperately, with the rag 2 months before the yggy. Nevertheless, you'll be in for some awesomeness:)

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #3,484 of 12,301
  So... I have up-ed my game (once again) from the gumby to the yggy and from Mjolnir 2 to the Ragnarok. They are both on the way. Anybody had similar experiences? 

Congrats! My journey bypassed Gumby, from Bimby to Yggy direct. As for Rag, I am always thinking about it but Jot & MJ2 are working for me right now.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,485 of 12,301

Nice!! The Rag i've heard, pairs exceptionally well with your HD800S. Some say it's the best solid state amp for the HD800S. And the Yggy, well... It's an Yggy, enough said.
beyersmile.png

Very much looking forward to your impressions of the upgrade.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,486 of 12,301
Thank you Mystel and franzdom. While I'm really content with the gumby/Mjolnir, the more I read about Yggdrasil on headfi im very tempted. I only wanted to upgrade from gumby to yggy but then i may have OCD issues I wanted the whole stack.

I currently own the HE6 and 800S, I have always felt that th 800S can do more with the yggy. With more resolution and clarity. I'm very much interested in neutral headphones, the more flat the more better for me.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3,487 of 12,301
Stack your Schiit to the perfect height!

I really really enjoy Yggy and noticed subtle differences from Bimby. You may have a bit of trouble doing so, but hopefully the differences will be quite noticeable. What is important though is your satisfaction. You are investing in a hobby you love and you can be very content with the knowledge and enjoyment of the capability and performance of your new equipment!

L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,488 of 12,301

Oh yeah nice upgrade!  I've heard the Yggy/Rag stack at a meet - sounded great with the HD800.  Should make your HD800S sound superb.
Actually, it would be a good comparison between the GMB/Rag and Yggy/Rag stacks.  Enjoy your music!

Prost,
RCB

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,489 of 12,301
Generally I guess a DAC is the least important in the chain. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the SQ from my old Marantz HD DAC1 and gumby/Mjolnir 2 using unmodded HD800. So I guess I wouldn't notice a significant improvement in SQ. Maybe the Gumby was already 90% good and the yggy can be 95% good.

But I still went ahead and kept upgrading since spending is the most fun part of this hobby :)

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #3,490 of 12,301
Generally I guess a DAC is the least important in the chain. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the SQ from my old Marantz HD DAC1 and gumby/Mjolnir 2 using unmodded HD800. So I guess I wouldn't notice a significant improvement in SQ. Maybe the Gumby was already 90% good and the yggy can be 95% good.

But I still went ahead and kept upgrading since spending is the most fun part of this hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded my Gungnir to the MB technology.  Made the music come alive with all my HP's.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,491 of 12,301
Has anyone had heat problems with the microrendu when it is attached to the yggy. There ask because I have read some reports the the yggy causes the mircorendu to become hit and it must be disconnected when not in use because of the yggy USB power affect

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,492 of 12,301
Has anyone had heat problems with the microrendu when it is attached to the yggy. There ask because I have read some reports the the yggy causes the mircorendu to become hit and it must be disconnected when not in use because of the yggy USB power affect

Not when using a +7VDC PS. 

I use a LPS-1 set to that value to power my mR. No heat issues connected to my Yggy. In fact the mR runs cooler to the touch than the LPS-1.

Generally, the higher the PS voltage, the hotter the mR, as it has to dissipate the additional supply voltage (with current) being fed.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,493 of 12,301

But I still went ahead and kept upgrading since spending is the most fun part of this hobby :)

Sorry, but, sound the buzzer. Wrong.

In my experience, the source is the most important component after the speakers.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #3,494 of 12,301
Sorry, but, sound the buzzer. Wrong.

In my experience, the source is the most important component after the speakers.

Of course, but I was only talking about the hardware :) but thanks
Ya, I got it wrong again. Opinions differ, I'm only saying from my experience. What is right to me could be wrong to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back