Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #2,806 of 12,484
I've heard Focals Grande Utopia, it's actually pretty damn nice let me tell you If I had the cash back then I'd probably buy it on spot and it was second hand too so price was lower than actual price.
Don't get what you want to know if this is better than that? No one can tell you other than you.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #2,807 of 12,484
Don't get what you want to know if this is better than that? No one can tell you other than you.

I didn't understand what you wrote.

But anyway, when I said Focal Grande Utopia I meant the speakers.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #2,808 of 12,484
I didn't understand what you wrote.

But anyway, when I said Focal Grande Utopia I meant the speakers.
I don't know either : ) I think I was replying to a different thread and got a little confused . Sucks getting old ; )

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,810 of 12,484

It was late and had a couple of tads open and ... 
blink.gif

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #2,814 of 12,484
  Is a tad a kind of beer or something? I've read that a few times about people messing up there posts after cracking open a few tads. 

In dog beers I've only had one.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,815 of 12,484
How does the Yggdrasil sound with modern electronic and metal/rock very compressed (dynamic range between 5 and 7)?
Is it still acceptable or it's too transparent or bright?

Fast drums are amazing with the yggy, also quick sounding electric guitar, especially several of them, as you can hear the different quitars separated in the soundstage. You hear every beat of the music, even the hard metal.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2,817 of 12,484
 So it's not too bright or slightly harsh? Because when I auditioned it with good records it was also very detailed...

It's one on the most neutral DACs ever created IMO. Bright and harshness don't exist in this DAC.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,818 of 12,484
I've heard Focals Grande Utopia, it's actually pretty damn nice let me tell you If I had the cash back then I'd probably buy it on spot and it was second hand too so price was lower than actual price.

Of course room and setup play a huge role, but my experience with a mega-buck Grand Utopia system (and later with the $100k smaller one) was disappointing. I much preferred Tannoy kingdom royals or even Magico S5 in a smaller room. Esoteric K01 was part of the disappointing system. I'm estatic to come home to my stax 009 and yggy setup and get such great sound, really MUCH better.

How does the Yggdrasil sound with modern electronic and metal/rock very compressed (dynamic range between 5 and 7)?
Is it still acceptable or it's too transparent or bright?

Once you get the source/transport right (it was too bright with my iMac directly into yggy usb), the yggy is spectacularly neutral/ musical and not even slightly bright. Amazing with hard rock and metal.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,819 of 12,484
+1 to recent comments about Yggy not being bright. In the last two days I've heard cymbals with 'body' for the first time and harpsichord (Wanda Landowska) not sound shrill and not have hard, glittery edges.

I read a comment somewhere that Yggy seems 'midrange focussed'. I speculate it's not that it's mids focussed but that it avoids 'false' (?) information in the highs. There's a lot of textural and timbral information that seems to convey more of the character and quality of instruments as well. It's quite something...

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,820 of 12,484
 +1 to recent comments about Yggy not being bright. In the last two days I've heard cymbals with 'body' for the first time and harpsichord (Wanda Landowska) not sound shrill and not have hard, glittery edges.

I read a comment somewhere that Yggy seems 'midrange focussed'. I speculate it's not that it's mids focussed but that it avoids 'false' (?) information in the highs. There's a lot of textural and timbral information that seems to convey more of the character and quality of instruments as well. It's quite something...

Listening to Yggy makes you think that "air" is a faux detail hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back