Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,606 of 12,283
If I were you I would write them an e-mail with your issues. So far I have the impression that they are open for polite criticism, it might help them improve it.

Anyways, I wish you lots of fun with the Yggy!

+1 to emailing Schiit. It should sooner or later reach Jason.

This is not the kind of experience Schiit built their well-deserved reputation around. "Curt replies" sounds like staff with too many enquiries to answer. IOW, Schiit may be experiencing growing pains due to their run-away success
eek.gif

@m0nster and @Argo

I don't have Jason's email but I did send him a PM previously which seems to have been unread or tossed aside thus far. 

Credibility is not about how long it takes.  Credibility is when what you say matches what you do over an extended period of time.  If FedEx says the delivery time is 5 days, don't promise 2-4 days.  After owning my Yggy for a couple of months, I am a raving fan.  I plan to buy a second one.  But that does not mean there are no opportunities to improve.  Companies who believe in continuous improvement know that you never "get there".  As far as completeness of technical responses, I would expect better from a small niche supplier than I would from Sony or Shure.  I think Jason himself said it wasn't about a lot of people who like us, but about a few people who love us.

I totally agree with you and I actually called FedEx today for a MBG (Money Back Guarantee) since they were past their stated commitment time. They tried to play games and said their commitment time is now 6 working days when I was told over the phone multiple times that they were committed to delivering in 5 working days in order to weasel their way out of their promises.

Either way I still think it's fairer to just list something along the lines of, "Up to X working days, weekends do not constitute as working days" and there would be no contention.

This is very disappointing to hear.  I got into high(er) end audio near the end of 2011 with the Valhalla being the first headphone amplifier I ever owned.  I had noise issues somewhere in my chain and blamed it on the Valhalla.  Jason was extremely courteous, gave me a detailed and technical response, and insisted that it was probably an issue with the Valhalla.  He requested that I send my product in for a replacement without any further questions.  When I received the replacement, I had the same issue.  I complained to Jason again, and he replied again very quickly with possibilities and expertise.  He even sent me a pair of replacement tubes.  Later on, I discovered that it was my own ignorance and that my source was to blame.  The Valhalla just did a great job of revealing noise/interference issues with my source, which was a Creative sound card sandwiched between two SLI'd Nvidia cards 
wink_face.gif

This is spot on with the way I see things, and I don't think I could've said it better myself.

While I am really envious that your experience was tremendously positive, I think such personal attention is probably only possible with smaller entities and Schiit may have gotten too big for it to happen as Jason surely has better things to do (like designing the next great thing which I can only begin to guess) than tend to trivial issues of the average customer.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,608 of 12,283
  Hey all,

Some clarification on "curt" answers from customer support. Yes, they are curt. They are usually intended to be. 
  Let me explain:

1. Long answers are usually sales pitches, or deliberate ambiguation.
  2. We do not do any sales pitches, and we do not speculate on what you hear: schiit.com/about/principles.
  3. Our refusal to do sales pitches and speculate on possible perceived sonics irritates some people. We do not know why. We are simply trying to be a upstanding manufacturer and not upsell people.
  4. In terms of short technical answers, we're cautious of violating the "no user serviceable parts inside" clause, which, if someone decides to mod their product, while it is plugged in, while they are in the bathtub, the attorney for the modder's estate will forensically examine all of our communications to see if we implied that this was ever in any way OK, and if we did, our company would probably cease to exist.

In terms of estimated shipping times, these are our experience. It is also our experience that the vast amount of damage and lost packages are caused by USPS. We will make sure there is a reference to check the actual shipping times with the carrier rather than rely on our estimates, if that caveat is not already in place.

I hope this clears things up. If you have any doubts as to our customer service, please try it if you ever have a problem with a product. In all cases, you will get rapid responses, either in the terms of an answer, an RA, or a rapid return/exchange.

All the best,
  Jason

Hi Jason,

Just wanted to say that I really respect Schiit for its policies and principles (though I am not sure how you could upsell a customer which has already purchased the Yggdrasil if this post was partially directed at me).

I'm also not sure but I'm unable to see how asking a general question about impedance matching could possibly translate to a sales pitch or any of the 4 points listed?

@TheTrap

Why not just send an email to the address on their page? Though I think Jason has answered on this thread here. Did you read it?

Are you at least having a great time with the yggy?

Yeah, just going through Head-Fi in between breaks at work.

Well, like I said before, it's really a mixed bag of feelings for me. To rehash what I've said in an earlier post, it really is the sum of things. Great value for money food but leaves a lot more to be desired when it comes to the service/ambience in the restaurant of Schiit.

I'm probably one of the few that didn't have a fully positive experience amongst the crowd, and to quote Jason, "this isn't about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you". So while I'd really love to be able to love the Schiit that Schiit produces, I can't say I love it just yet in lieu of the misleading shipping and customer service which contributed to a less than positive experience as my questions were sometimes ignored along with the "I'm not really interested in helping you out" vibe which I was unfortunate enough to receive.

To help illustrate what I faced,

"What would you recommend today?"
"Steak"

"What cut of steak and where is it from?"
"Ribeye"

"How much is this cut of steak and what sauces do you recommend?"
"$50 dollars."

While I don't deny that the key points was somewhat communicated over, I can't help but feel like I'm not really welcome. I'm not asking for super courteous behaviour, none of that at all. But surely the one word replies do not promote a positive experience. That said, my experience with orders@schiit.com was a lot more positive in comparison and I would like to thank Laura.

Last but not least, I'd like to apologise if I have stepped on any nerves here and hopefully the few posts I left doesn't stop people from purchasing products from Schiit. As mentioned, given the chance again, I would still purchase the products. Hope this post can be taken as constructive feedback and we can all learn together.

Peace.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,609 of 12,283
Your experience with the answers is not new. We hashed through the same topic a few times in the past and Jason responded to each of the ones I saw. It wont make everyone happy but it is what it is and you can decide to deal with it the way you want.

About the order you placed, it says on their website right now orders ship in approximately two weeks. This is what it said the last time I checked a month ago, too. The actual shipping time, that is, transit time after the order has left their facility, varies. Listing a typical time to transit is only an educated guess as to what you can optimistically expect. IMO There is nothing that Schiit can really do about the transit time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,610 of 12,283
It took my Yggdrasil/Ragnarok 3 weeks to ship and 1 week to be delivered (took around 6 days to make it from Schiit to my doorstep).

I've also noticed that Schiit customer service is rather terse. While that can be interpreted as uncaring, I believe it's more akin to legal speak. The more words you use the higher the chance you could be misinterpreted/misquoted. It also seems to go along with their business culture. I will say that it probably wouldn't hurt to be a bit more personable ("doing this should resolve your problem, let us know if you have any more issues" rather than replying with "do this").

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've had conversations with custom cable makers who felt the need to send me paragraphs describing their different products and what they felt like would be a good fit for me and my equipment. While that could be interpreted as someone taking the time to consider my wants/needs and custom-tailoring a solution for me, it actually just felt like I was being given a massive sales pitch (which in reality is what it really was).

beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,611 of 12,283
  I'm also not sure but I'm unable to see how asking a general question about impedance matching could possibly translate to a sales pitch or any of the 4 points listed?

It could fall under his 4th point about "no user serviceable parts inside." Just guessing. I'm not sure how you worded it (nor what you're seeking to impedance match), but at worst, their service rep wasn't sure what you were asking and answered with an overabundance of caution in the most time efficient way possible.

Quote:

I don't have Jason's email but I did send him a PM previously which seems to have been unread or tossed aside thus far. 

Jason's sig says not to PM him on Head-fi. Simple as that.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,612 of 12,283
  I've also noticed that Schiit customer service is rather terse. While that can be interpreted as uncaring, I believe it's more akin to legal speak. The more words you use the higher the chance you could be misinterpreted/misquoted. It also seems to go along with their business culture. I will say that it probably wouldn't hurt to be a bit more personable ("doing this should resolve your problem, let us know if you have any more issues" rather than replying with "do this").

Agreed. You can't give misdirection if you don't give directions.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,614 of 12,283
They do need to get their Schiit together and offer a black version of most of their products. This will mean an immediate 50% drop in e-mail inquiries asking when this will happen.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,615 of 12,283
They do need to get their Schiit together and offer a black version of most of their products. This will mean an immediate 50% drop in e-mail inquiries asking when this will happen.

The majestic and elusive black Yggy will be mine.  Oh yes.

The questions about, "When will black Yggy's be available?" will merely shift to, "How long will black Yggy's be available?"  They can't win.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,616 of 12,283

The questions about, "When will black Yggy's be available?" will merely shift to, "How long will black Yggy's be available?"  They can't win.

If I was a smart investor, I would buy a dozen when they become available, keep one, and sell the rest on Ebay to pay for mine.

But I'm not that organized, so I'll just consider buying one....

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,617 of 12,283
I know this is not specifically Yggy-ish, but it's I feel pertinent to the customer service discussion. Back in August, I asked Schiit about possible upgrades to a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 system and got the following reply "I recommend trying different headphones if you're looking for big changes. The amp or DAC swap isn't going to net as big of an effect on the sound as headphones.." I had several previous interactions with Schiit tech support, all brief but best-possible answers to my questions, and this honesty and refusal to upsell, together with the quality and relative economy of their products, are what makes me look first at Schiit when I'm looking for audio gear.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,618 of 12,283
  I know this is not specifically Yggy-ish, but it's I feel pertinent to the customer service discussion. Back in August, I asked Schiit about possible upgrades to a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 system and got the following reply "I recommend trying different headphones if you're looking for big changes. The amp or DAC swap isn't going to net as big of an effect on the sound as headphones.." I had several previous interactions with Schiit tech support, all brief but best-possible answers to my questions, and this honesty and refusal to upsell, together with the quality and relative economy of their products, are what makes me look first at Schiit when I'm looking for audio gear.

They seem to be a good company and nice folks. I'm really enjoying my concero HD, but I'm getting the urge to get a Yggi. It helps knowing they are a good company making good stuff, when I think of spending 2300 bucks!

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,619 of 12,283

Damn good post. 

So, when will I join the club...

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #1,620 of 12,283
Your experience with the answers is not new. We hashed through the same topic a few times in the past and Jason responded to each of the ones I saw. It wont make everyone happy but it is what it is and you can decide to deal with it the way you want.

About the order you placed, it says on their website right now orders ship in approximately two weeks. This is what it said the last time I checked a month ago, too. The actual shipping time, that is, transit time after the order has left their facility, varies. Listing a typical time to transit is only an educated guess as to what you can optimistically expect. IMO There is nothing that Schiit can really do about the transit time.

If you read carefully, my main point was not about how long the item took to deliver, but on the customer service which could be further improved and misleading shipping times quoted on the website. Schiit cannot do anything about the transit time but they can surely manage expectations. In my case, if I had known the difference between priority and economy to be so hugely different, I would have paid $127 instead of $124 for shipping. We're looking at 3 days versus 5-6 days (I'm no longer sure anymore) real commitment delivery date by FedEx. Meaning that they have to deliver, or you are able to refund the shipping fee, albeit back into the shipper's account.

Quote:
  It took my Yggdrasil/Ragnarok 3 weeks to ship and 1 week to be delivered (took around 6 days to make it from Schiit to my doorstep).

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've had conversations with custom cable makers who felt the need to send me paragraphs describing their different products and what they felt like would be a good fit for me and my equipment. While that could be interpreted as someone taking the time to consider my wants/needs and custom-tailoring a solution for me, it actually just felt like I was being given a massive sales pitch (which in reality is what it really was).

beerchug.gif

It definitely wouldn't. I've spoken to a few companies in my limited experience but thankfully most of them don't practice giving out massive sales pitches and are pretty upfront on what their products do and in my experience, Audio-Gd/Yulong. The replies were pretty darned short too, sometimes even one worders, but I never felt like I wasn't "welcome" in between emails.

It could fall under his 4th point about "no user serviceable parts inside." Just guessing. I'm not sure how you worded it (nor what you're seeking to impedance match), but at worst, their service rep wasn't sure what you were asking and answered with an overabundance of caution in the most time efficient way possible.
Jason's sig says not to PM him on Head-fi. Simple as that.

It was about what the input impedance of next device in the chain, which in this case is a preamp should approximately be and how impedance matching generally as a whole works. I wasn't able to get an answer from Schiit so I had to go to the maker of the preamp to get my answers. Well, I don't have his email and it seems like an issue that's not exactly for tech nor orders to handle. I wish there was a way to communicate directly with the boss but there seems to be none. Schiit outta luck I guess.

Agreed. You can't give misdirection if you don't give directions.

Which effectively translates to "minding your own business/I don't wanna help". It's extremely prevalent in my country although that is a discussion for another day.

I too wish the black Yggdrasil would be out! I suppose they could just announce that Schiit will now be making black Schiit forever, although that would mean higher costs for the consumer I'd expect due to myriad of potential issues that will need to be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back