Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,231 of 12,282
I second that,
I'm currently using a Raspberey Pi, along with a HiFiBerry optical and Coax add-on board - running JRiver MC 21 and it sounds brilliant.

I also got a custom linear PSU for the Pi (from Tomanek ($100) - made a nice improvement and added a power button :wink:

All is feeding the Yggya and works great.

The only issue with the Pi is that you have to be a little technical and work a bit with a headless Linux box.

A CuBox-i from SolidRun with Volumio is very easy to set up and control, no cut-and-paste of mysterious shell commands needed.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,232 of 12,282
  It seems odd to me that a DAC at that price point and technological sophistication would not be tested to work on Server 2012 since many advanced users use it.

I think your statement might be wishful thinking.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,234 of 12,282
I wanted to try yggy but the return policy is only 15 days and it took at least 15 days for yggy to burn in. Kinda hard to evaluate like this, I think schiit should increase yggy return period to 30 days.

I have had my Yggy since the first batch shipped and it "only" takes about 7 days of it being powered on for it to open up; this seems to be the consensus from most owners

If there are any changes after the initial 7 days, they are very minimal and, FWIW, I didn't hear any from that point on.

Provided your schedule allows it, you will have plenty of time to listen/evaluate it prior to the 15 day window closing (I doubt you'll be sending it back - YMMV, IMO, etc).

I have found that after that initial 7 days to warm-up, it is now something like 4 days instead of 7.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,235 of 12,282
I found Volumino and Roon audio to be lacking in SQ and features compared with JRiver -

SQ may be affected by hardware (jitter, RF), but if your system is correctly configured, MPD and the USB driver should get out of the way and send just the bits to your DAC. Volumio has some settings that insert their own transcoding, intended for limited target devices, but all of that can be disabled. As for features, I don't care, I serve all my music via UPnP from a Synology NAS and I control it with a UPnP control point, so fancy features in Volumio are irrelevant.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,236 of 12,282
  SQ may be affected by hardware (jitter, RF), but if your system is correctly configured, MPD and the USB driver should get out of the way and send just the bits to your DAC. Volumio has some settings that insert their own transcoding, intended for limited target devices, but all of that can be disabled. As for features, I don't care, I serve all my music via UPnP from a Synology NAS and I control it with a UPnP control point, so fancy features in Volumio are irrelevant.

don't want to derail this thread too much, but I use a Sub so must have some minima EQ to bring it under control - Jriver has great Parametric EQ :wink:

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #1,238 of 12,282
  Great Yggy review on CA - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/670-schiit-audio-yggdrasil-multibit-dac-review/

It seems that that Chris hears the same things that this Chris does!

Yes this is quite likely the best of many great reviews I've read on the Yggy.  I find it both funny and appropiate how he spent a full 2 months gestating with the Yggy before his review.  I'm surprised that it hasn't sparked more conversation here yet.

I guess the Yggy is still hoarding its owners attention.  Now I'm off to see if the "Murder was the case" album was one of my many casualties of theft from that time period.  This is why I use a 4.5 M cable.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,239 of 12,282
  Yes this is quite likely the best of many great reviews I've read on the Yggy.

I gave it a quick glance when I first saw it posted. For me, I was ecstatic he posted an audiophile playlist. It was for Tidal, what I personally use. Rare, because I find universally people on head-fi have bought into 24/192 exclusively. It's like anything below that is considered dumpster, which makes me sad. The Tidal playlist is epic!

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,240 of 12,282
  I have had my Yggy since the first batch shipped and it "only" takes about 7 days of it being powered on for it to open up; this seems to be the consensus from most owners

I just got my Yggy yesterday on Veteran's Day (Soapbox alert: a USA holiday and paid vacation day for government workers, not veterans). It was cold to the touch but I plugged it in and played with it immediately. My first reaction was that the sound was very harsh but after about 1 to 2 hours it was already better than the DAC built into my old Denon A/V receiver. It's nice and warm now, and I have a new problem - how to keep the cat off it!

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,241 of 12,282
I just got my Yggy yesterday on Veteran's Day (Soapbox alert: a USA holiday and paid vacation day for government workers, not veterans). It was cold to the touch but I plugged it in and played with it immediately. My first reaction was that the sound was very harsh but after about 1 to 2 hours it was already better than the DAC built into my old Denon A/V receiver. It's nice and warm now, and I have a new problem - how to keep the cat off it!
Cover it in Tabasco sauce. That should keep the cat away. :) Enjoy the breakin. It just gets better from there.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,242 of 12,282

The DAC or its sound? 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,243 of 12,282
I've got a demo unit coming tomorrow, will keep it for a couple of weeks.
I'm very curious about its sound after the glorious review on computeraudiophile..."one of the best dacs in reproducing acoustic instruments" is quite a statement!

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,244 of 12,282
Cover it in Tabasco sauce. That should keep the cat away. :) Enjoy the breakin. It just gets better from there.
Our cat will lick tabasco sauce off the plate.

YMMV :atsmile:

JJ

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,245 of 12,282
Received my Yggy today and I can report, repeating a previous post, that it sounds great right out of the box - outstanding, in fact.  The Yggy is in active production right now.   My device shipped in 2 days from a weekend order.   My advice would be to order it now while it is still easily available.  You will not be disappointed.

Mine is feeding a Justin Wilson built BHSE with new tubes into 009's and that this will only get better is a real expectation.   Just like the BHSE, this thing is a bargain.   It may be a bargain because there is no showroom inflation.  It may be a bargain because there are still those individuals willing to make a quality product at a reasonable price.  It may be a bargain now because these guys are smart and when they get the proper recognition, watch out for the next generation.  I will certainly buy one.   

There are far better and far less expensive champagnes than Crystal, but it is a nice bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back